Worst World Series Teams Ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst World Series Teams Ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Worst World Series Teams Ever?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:51 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:You're only pointing out the guys who didn't play as well as you expected. As for next season, I don't think you can count on Wainwright for as much as this season. I doubt Suppan will be the best pitcher in the league in the 2nd half. Etc.

And for the guys you listed as spending time on the DL, let's examine how many games they each missed this year:

Rolen: 15
Pujols: 15
Edmonds: 51 (the guy will be 37 next year- you have to begin to expect this)
Eckstein: 38

For pitchers, it's harder to say how many they missed.

Carp started 32 games, 1 fewer than 05.
Izzy threw 2/3s of an inning less than he did in 05.
Mulder had a 7.14 era - you should be happy he was on the DL.

I'm not saying that you guys had good luck, but the idea that you had bad luck is unfounded. Of the guys listed above, only Rolen, Pujols, Izzy, and Carp would really hurt you to lose for any length of time (sorry Edmonds). And none were really out for a significant amount of time.

The Cardinals are going to be a mediocre team next year. Their only hope is that they play in a mediocre division in a mediocre league.
It isn't just the time they missed either. They were banged up most of the year. On the offensive side only Duncan exceeded expectations. Pujols was still Pujols but the rest of the offense under performed IMO. The pitching is a little harder to gauge for next year since there is still so much unknown. But what I do know is that the SP ERA this year was 4.79. I really can't see a repeat of that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Well this thread very much turned into a waste of space. Let's predict how a team will do when we have no idea who will be its starting rotation past Carpenter and Anthony Reyes. Good thinking. Edmonds might not even be on this team, there might be new bats added to the line-up and new bullpen. So while all this speculation is a nice fun way too pass time until we can all make projection sheets for fantasy teams, it has no basis on well, anything.

Also, I didn't realize how old the core of this team was getting. Rolen, Pujols, Molina, Reyes, Wainwright, Carpenter, Duncan are all under 30. Yea, that's one old team right there :-? . In addition, I think the bullpen's average age was something like 25.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:19 pm

wrveres wrote:I'll agree that the Tigers won't make the playoffs...
Somebody's predicting the Tigers won't make the playoffs again. Keep predicting it and it will eventually come true ;-)

It's too early to count out the Cardinals and Tigers. The offseason hasn't happened yet and both teams have very good GMs. As it stands both teams have question marks, but both teams also have things going for them.

Tigers have good young pitching and some decent players returning on offense. Offense probably needs some tweaking before anything else. I have no clue who their first baseman will be.

As long as the Cardinals have Pujols, Carpenter, and Rolen, they have a chance in the always wide-open NL. Put some decent players around them and they will contend. That's been their story for the past 3 seasons.

Bottom line: the season just ended and the offseason has yet to play out. At this point anyone has just as good of a chance of predicting who makes the playoffs in 2020 as they do predicting it for next season.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:23 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Also, I didn't realize how old the core of this team was getting. Rolen, Pujols, Molina, Reyes, Wainwright, Carpenter, Duncan are all under 30. Yea, that's one old team right there :-? . In addition, I think the bullpen's average age was something like 25.

BTW - Rolen is 31
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Fantasy Guru » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 am

What's wrong with the Tigers of 2006 and 2007?

Young, electric starters, some good vet starters, and a solid bullpen. Just enough offense to get it done.
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers