Worst World Series Teams Ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst World Series Teams Ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:12 am

eftda wrote:The Cubs should be in good shape to compete in 2007. Hill and Zambrano could provide a good 1-2 punch and if they get Prior or Wood heathy then its a great 1-2-3. I hear they want to add a few mill to the payroll so they could pull a Minaya and have a great team in 2007.
:-b
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Worst World Series Teams Ever?

Postby bigken117 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:14 am

wrveres wrote:what made you realize that there was a chance that the Cards would not be in the playoffs next year? They have been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons. Now all of the sudden they are the Royals?

this must be an example of that "wild speculation" that is sweeping the cafe .. way to many people are just making stuff upand posting it lately. :-o

either that or ESPN has done a good job a misinforming the sheep

Who said they'd become the Royals :-? I think he was implying 83 wins isn't going to be enough to take the Central next year.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 am

bigken117 wrote:
wrveres wrote:what made you realize that there was a chance that the Cards would not be in the playoffs next year? They have been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons. Now all of the sudden they are the Royals?

this must be an example of that "wild speculation" that is sweeping the cafe .. way to many people are just making stuff upand posting it lately. :-o

either that or ESPN has done a good job a misinforming the sheep

Who said they'd become the Royals :-? I think he was implying 83 wins isn't going to be enough to take the Central next year.

Sheep! Sheep!

Yes, that's somewhat what I was saying, Ken. The Cardinals are getting older and- sans some great trade/FA - they are getting worse. I don't see much chance of more than 85 wins. Same goes for the Tigers who I think played way above their heads this year.

But I guess since I disagree with Wrveres that I'm a sheep. Strangely, if I agreed with everything he said and just nodded along, he'd think I had a mind of my own...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:04 pm

baaaahhh!!

I'll agree that the Tigers won't make the playoffs, but to say that a team that has averaged roughly 95 wins over the last five seasons, Twice leading the MLB in wins during that time frame, won't even make the playoffs next year is flat out "wild speculation" ... The only team with more wins over the last five years is the Yankees, and it is close ..

So, apparenlty somebody was not only 'not' paying attention to last season (ie his Whitesox/Astros comment) as was so kindly pointed out by everybody else, but apparently he didn't see the Cardinals two week collapse at the end of the season this year.

Who is going to beat them? the Cubs?

I'll stand by my comment, he is just making stuff up ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:13 pm

balmlb119 wrote:2006 Cardinals are the worst WS winners.. 83-78 in the regular season.

Second is the 1987 Minnesota team that finished 85-77, while the 2000 Yankees are the third worst, finishing 87-76 in the regular season.

Apart from, regular season record is not necessarily the indicator of best/worst. Those '87 Twins were outscored by their opponents in the regular season. Talk about winning a weak division. The '06 Cards outscored theirs by 19 runs.

To my mind, the example of the '02 Angels is why there absolutely has to be a WC. A 99-win team, who wouldn't have won their division under the old system? Ridiculous.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:44 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Yes, that's somewhat what I was saying, Ken. The Cardinals are getting older and- sans some great trade/FA - they are getting worse. I don't see much chance of more than 85 wins.

Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Carpenter, Eckstein, Mulder, and Izzy all spent time on the DL this year. Marquis, Mulder, Ponson and Suppan in the first half were all disasters. With all this they still won 85 last year. The NL Pennant still runs though St. Louis.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Yes, that's somewhat what I was saying, Ken. The Cardinals are getting older and- sans some great trade/FA - they are getting worse. I don't see much chance of more than 85 wins.

Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Carpenter, Eckstein, Mulder, and Izzy all spent time on the DL this year. Marquis, Mulder, Ponson and Suppan in the first half were all disasters. With all this they still won 85 last year. The NL Pennant still runs though St. Louis.

that's a whole lot of mediocre right there. NL is a crap shoot next year like it was this year.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

;-D

edmonds is really the only one getting too old.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:12 pm

I'm surprised no one stood up and yelled "88 Dodgers!" :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:23 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

You're only pointing out the guys who didn't play as well as you expected. As for next season, I don't think you can count on Wainwright for as much as this season. I doubt Suppan will be the best pitcher in the league in the 2nd half. Etc.

And for the guys you listed as spending time on the DL, let's examine how many games they each missed this year:

Rolen: 15
Pujols: 15
Edmonds: 51 (the guy will be 37 next year- you have to begin to expect this)
Eckstein: 38

For pitchers, it's harder to say how many they missed.

Carp started 32 games, 1 fewer than 05.
Izzy threw 2/3s of an inning less than he did in 05.
Mulder had a 7.14 era - you should be happy he was on the DL.

I'm not saying that you guys had good luck, but the idea that you had bad luck is unfounded. Of the guys listed above, only Rolen, Pujols, Izzy, and Carp would really hurt you to lose for any length of time (sorry Edmonds). And none were really out for a significant amount of time.

The Cardinals are going to be a mediocre team next year. Their only hope is that they play in a mediocre division in a mediocre league.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers