Jeff Weaver had just a huge playoffs... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Weaver had just a huge playoffs...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:36 am

I don't see Mulder back in the Cards rotation next year. I think some team will be stupid enough to pay him based on the idea that he was never injured, and the Cards won't be that team.

Suppan and Weaver come back. The 5th spot will be a total surprise.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:07 am

clevername wrote:from the post game comments from the Weaver's (as a family) and from La Russa, it sounds like Jeff wants to stay in St. Louis. I think he'd be crazy to leave the pitching coach who has saved his career.

I also think Suppan really likes playing in St. Louis.

Mulder has said that the Cardinal fans never got to see the "real" Mark Mulder and he wants to show them...sounds like he'll be back as well.

I think the rotation will be:

Carp
Suppan
Mulder
Weaver
Reyes

and I'd be pretty pleased with that.

There's a difference in wanting to be back in St. Louis and actually being able to come back. I think it will be Carpenter, Reyes, and Wainwright in the rotation for sure. Then the next 2, if I had to predict, will be either Suppan/Weaver and a free agent (Buehrle? Zito?). I just don't see us keeping both Weaver and Suppan.

Carpenter
Zito/Buerhle/other solid FA
Wainwright
Reyes
Suppan/Weaver

looks good to me.

This Cardinals team is going to be a lot different next year. Pujols, Rolen, Molina, Eckstein, and Encarnacion will still be around, but LF, CF, and 2B is all in question. We need to sign a power hitting FA, because right now Pujols is the only power source in the lineup. And to be honest, Eckstein doesn't really impress me. I know everyone likes him because he makes the best out of his little talent, but to be honest Eckstein just doesn't get on base enough and doesn't steal bases, not to mention he has no power. I'd like to see us pursue a solid leadoff hitter next year, and if we get a good leadoff hitter with speed I would have no problem batting Eckstein 2nd or even later in the order, like 7th or 8th. But I just don't like him in that leadoff spot.
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:15 am

Zito's a pipe dream.

I think Buerhle would sign if he could, but don't the White Sox have the option to keep him for next year?

Wainwright's situation depends a lot, I think, on how the offseason goes for Izzy. I've heard differing opinions on when he will make it back (from spring training to June). If he's going to be out for a while, I think Wainwright will stay in the pen for stability's sake. We won't even know what Izzy will have when he comes back, or when he'll re-injure that hip again.

Of course, if we can't find a suitable replacement for the rotation (such as Weaver), Wainwright will have to go into the rotation and Looper will have to pick up the slack in the pen.

I definitely agree about going out and getting another outfield bat. Let Duncan and Encarnacion platoon and pick someone else up to start every day in left and add punch to the lineup. I think Edmonds will be back in center.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:30 am

All I know is this; if you're a true fantasy baseball guru, you know, that a player's postseason performance often, if not always, is NEVER an indicator of how they will play he subsequent year.

So, if Suppan and Weaver move up ridiculously in a draft, you know I'm gonna play it safe.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:35 am

sportsaddict wrote:I think it will be Carpenter, Reyes, and Wainwright in the rotation for sure.

You think?

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:43 am

"It will be hard for the Cardinals to contend next year (Though I'm trying not to think about that yet, and just celebrate) with basically two rookie SPs in their rotation."

I think they will definately contend. They do have Pujols and Carpenter. Pujols is the best offensive producer in the game, period, and the rest of the lineup is pretty solid if not spectacular. Carpenter is second only to Santana in terms of SP. I think Reyes will step it up next year as well. He's a 15-winner, 3.75 ERA guy just waiting to happen.

They also don't play in a particularly fearsome division.

They do have some holes to fill, but which team doesn't?
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:52 am

Havok1517 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:I have a hard time not seeing Supp in a Cards uniform next year. Mulder will make the team as long as he takes some small incentive-laden contract. Whether or not Wainwright will be in the rotation is now in question. It has to be.

It will be hard for the Cardinals to contend next year (Though I'm trying not to think about that yet, and just celebrate) with basically two rookie SPs in their rotation. I'd like Wainwright in the bullpen for just one more year, and then throw him out there every 5th day.

Still, 1 lefty and 4 righties... :-t

what's wrong with that?

Teams can stack lineups and take advantage of matchups more is all. I like to see at least 2 lefties in a 5 man rotation for variety to take advantage of players that hit 1 or other worse.

not sure what you mean there.

i dont understand why everyone is obsessed with lefties. if a team wants to stack its lineup with second rate left handed hitters to take advantage of my right handed pitchers i say let them. id have no problem having 5 right handers in my roation.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:22 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:I have a hard time not seeing Supp in a Cards uniform next year. Mulder will make the team as long as he takes some small incentive-laden contract. Whether or not Wainwright will be in the rotation is now in question. It has to be.

It will be hard for the Cardinals to contend next year (Though I'm trying not to think about that yet, and just celebrate) with basically two rookie SPs in their rotation. I'd like Wainwright in the bullpen for just one more year, and then throw him out there every 5th day.

Still, 1 lefty and 4 righties... :-t

what's wrong with that?

Teams can stack lineups and take advantage of matchups more is all. I like to see at least 2 lefties in a 5 man rotation for variety to take advantage of players that hit 1 or other worse.

not sure what you mean there.

i dont understand why everyone is obsessed with lefties. if a team wants to stack its lineup with second rate left handed hitters to take advantage of my right handed pitchers i say let them. id have no problem having 5 right handers in my roation.

Not to mention that they had five righties in the rotation most of this year, and their best bullpen arms were RH. And the 04 Sox had a five-righty rotation. I think at least one lefty is nice, but having good pitchers is far more important than matchups.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby AdvRider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:26 am

Are we sure that was Jeff out there?

I think it might have been Jered.

Remember, the Weaver boys are from SoCal, world capital of plastic surgery and makeovers.

:-D :-D :-D
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby AdvRider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:30 am

chadlincoln wrote:Weaver has sucked all year. Are we sure that wasn't Jared dressed up like Jeff?

Oops, sorry chadlincoln -- saw this after I posted. You beat me to it ... :-]
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers