How to reward 1st pick in draft of keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to reward 1st pick in draft of keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to reward 1st pick in draft of keeper league

Postby Gags Sports » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:25 am

I'm curious as to what some of the other commish's in here do in order to reward the first pick in the following years draft of their keeper league. Right now I just give it to the team that finished in last place the previous year and the rest of the draft order fills in according to the reverse of the standings. I figure this is typical of most leagues, but I'm looking to change things up and not necessarily reward the worst team in the league every year.

I have some ideas, but before I propose them, do any other commissioners have a different way of rewarding the first pick in the draft? I'm looking for some creative alternatives.

Thanks so much!
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to reward 1st pick in draft of keeper league

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:41 am

Gags Sports wrote:I'm curious as to what some of the other commish's in here do in order to reward the first pick in the following years draft of their keeper league. Right now I just give it to the team that finished in last place the previous year and the rest of the draft order fills in according to the reverse of the standings. I figure this is typical of most leagues, but I'm looking to change things up and not necessarily reward the worst team in the league every year.

I have some ideas, but before I propose them, do any other commissioners have a different way of rewarding the first pick in the draft? I'm looking for some creative alternatives.

Thanks so much!

Okay, this is what my dynasty league does and its takes awhile but I feel it is the fairest way. It takes in account changes year to year in teams, fa, trades, retirees, etc. What we do is the commish get his hands on 4 or 5 mock drafts and assigns the rounds each player on the teams is drafted then averages out the number. The team with the highest number (the team with highest/worst players according to mock drafters) gets the 1st pick since they have the weakest team. This improves league competitiveness. This process also takes in account guys like Clemens retiring, Matsusaka coming over, trades which might give a setup guy the closer gig, etc. We also do the same thing for assigning WW priority. Like if the weaskest team drafts Matsusaka then with his draft numbers according to mock drafts. He might not have the weakest team anymore and they weakest team would then get the #1 WW priority. I hope I explained it well. It can be confusing to explain but I believe its by far the fairest, though longest, way to assign draft and WW placement.

:-°
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:36 pm

We do a draft lottery (like the NBA) for the teams that finish in the bottom 3 of our 9-team league. The point for us is that we don't want people to give up on the season in an attempt to get the #1 pick.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:59 pm

In one of my keepers, that I joined this season, the 5th place team gets first pick. The reason why the commish. did this was so if you're in the bottom teams, to not try to lose. So you still have to work for your first pick. I don't know if I agree with it, but that's what it is.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby Gags Sports » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:09 pm

Does anyone have any experience with a league that awards the first pick to the team that improves their point total the most from the ASB to the end of the season?

This is one of the options I'm considering. What are some pitfalls of this option that I might not be considering? Anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Why?

I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks for the replies I've already received.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Smileyman9 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:36 pm

In my league (10 keepers, 12 team) we do reverse standings for the first 3 rounds and then randomize the last 12. I've sort of had issues with this setup for a while because it encourages tanking which can have massive effects on a roto league. The positive side to reverse standings draft theory is that it helps to even the playing field to a degree since usually the top teams have +10 possible keepers and the lower teams have less then 10 decent keepers, thus allowing the lower squads to feed on the non-kept talent pool and keeping the league competitive on a playing field that the people in my league are willing to except.

I will say that I do like the team that improves the pt total the most...but, you risk a huge shot at the team who recieves the first pick as being a team who is already rich with talent. Do I think it's fair to reward teams who do well? Yes. But at the risk of making weak teams weaker you also risk an unhappy, non-involved bottom portion of the league *(unless you have a highly competitive league where people don't get whiny at having to put forth effort to improve).
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Gags Sports wrote:I'm curious as to what some of the other commish's in here do in order to reward the first pick in the following years draft of their keeper league. Right now I just give it to the team that finished in last place the previous year and the rest of the draft order fills in according to the reverse of the standings. I figure this is typical of most leagues, but I'm looking to change things up and not necessarily reward the worst team in the league every year.

Thanks so much!

Okay, this is what my dynasty league does and its takes awhile but I feel it is the fairest way. It takes in account changes year to year in teams, fa, trades, retirees, etc. What we do is the commish get his hands on 4 or 5 mock drafts and assigns the rounds each player on the teams is drafted then averages out the number. The team with the highest number (the team with highest/worst players according to mock drafters) gets the 1st pick since they have the weakest team. This improves league competitiveness. This process also takes in account guys like Clemens retiring, Matsusaka coming over, trades which might give a setup guy the closer gig, etc. We also do the same thing for assigning WW priority. Like if the weaskest team drafts Matsusaka then with his draft numbers according to mock drafts. He might not have the weakest team anymore and they weakest team would then get the #1 WW priority. I hope I explained it well. It can be confusing to explain but I believe its by far the fairest, though longest, way to assign draft and WW placement.

This is a really cool system. My only question is, wouldn't it reward managers who do well due to old, good players who don't make as good keepers? In other words, doesn't it reward people who take a win-now philosophy by giving them an advantage in future years because as their team worsens (even if they purposely mortgaged their future by drafting good vets in order to win now), they get higher draft picks?
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:49 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Thanks so much!

This is a really cool system. My only question is, wouldn't it reward managers who do well due to old, good players who don't make as good keepers? In other words, doesn't it reward people who take a win-now philosophy by giving them an advantage in future years because as their team worsens (even if they purposely mortgaged their future by drafting good vets in order to win now), they get higher draft picks?

Not really, the basis of draft position is solely influenced by the players kept and their corresponding placement in the mocks. Granted old guys like Rivera, Hoffman, Clemens, and Thome might influence outcomes some but the points from the draft rounds aren't usually close enough for that to be an issue. On average, there is usually a 2 digit difference between the next team in terms of points which isn't significant enough to alter the outcome. I guess it depends on the number of keepers and timeframe but usually the people that are kept are young stars with potential then people can draft the way the want once the order is set. But so much can happen in the off-season that I think this is the best way.

In my case, I play in a dynasty where we keep 25 and do a 3 man draft to expand the rosters to 28 so that thinking is minimized as do the averaging of the mock drafts. Regular season performance has no influence on the outcome, just a side note. If there is a tie, the oldest team gets the favor.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Gags Sports wrote:Does anyone have any experience with a league that awards the first pick to the team that improves their point total the most from the ASB to the end of the season?

We actually pay that team some of the overall pool of money. Whichever team improves the most that doesn't finish first or second....they get their league fees back.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby CraigMasbruch » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:31 pm

Because we have a playoff system in my H2H league, there are two brackets. Teams 1-6 play for the title, and 7-12 are in the consolation bracket. The winner of the consolation bracket gets first pick, followed by the consolation runner up, etc. Then the winner's bracket goes in reverse order (sort of). It actually goes 5,6,3,4,2,1 (the winner gets last pick). Sounds random, but it ensures that every team tries to win every week in the playoffs. Otherwise, if a team can't win it all, it may tank to get the best pick. Anyone else use this system for a playoff league?
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers