Stark on the improbable - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stark on the improbable

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AdvRider » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:16 pm

It was downright surreal when Verlander threw the ball wild of third in Game 5 ... after Zumaya had done the same thing in Game 3, and after Rodney had thrown wild on a throw to first.

About the first thing that came to mind was Jack Buck's call on the Gibson home run in the '88 World Series:

"I don't believe what I just saw!"

I dunno, the series could have been a lot better. It was almost as much the Tigers losing the series as the Cardinals winning it. Eight errors is no way to distinguish yourself. It was depressing to watch. Certain Tigers will have many nites of fitful sleep this winter. You know a player or two is going to make a spectacular & crucial boot but eight Es is unbelievable.

Nevertheless congrats to Cards & their fans. Great way to break in the new stadium.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The shoddy defense by the Tigers brought this WS down a notch IMO but otherwise it is just what I want out of a post-season series, great pitching and timely hitting.

I dispute that there was any "great pitching" aside from Carpenter...and I'll throw Wainright in there.

Nothing I saw from Weaver or Suppan falls into the category of great. In fact, I used the term "puss" last night while watching Weaver. It baffles me how he gets major league hitters out with that mediocre fastball and lazy slider. I think, if anything, that the "great pitching" was really "crappy hitting".
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:28 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:I thought the Tigers pitchers defense was sickening.

But on the topic of 7 WS winners, I think its great. I have alot of friends who are Pirates fans, and they seem genuinly excited about the next few years, and this is partly because of Detroits turnaround.

Maybe if the Pirates had re-hired Leyland...oh well.

Say hi to my little brother if you see him on campus at Pitt. He plays in the drumline.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:30 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:The shoddy defense by the Tigers brought this WS down a notch IMO but otherwise it is just what I want out of a post-season series, great pitching and timely hitting.

I dispute that there was any "great pitching" aside from Carpenter...and I'll throw Wainright in there.

Nothing I saw from Weaver or Suppan falls into the category of great. In fact, I used the term "puss" last night while watching Weaver. It baffles me how he gets major league hitters out with that mediocre fastball and lazy slider. I think, if anything, that the "great pitching" was really "crappy hitting".

Just because he doesn't have great stuff doesn't mean it wasn't great pitching. Attacking a hitters weaknesses and pitching smart is great pitching.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

Just because he doesn't have great stuff doesn't mean it wasn't great pitching. Attacking a hitters weaknesses and pitching smart is great pitching.

Believe me, I fully understand that. I believe that I appreciate great pitching more than most people (I pitched all the way through college). I'd much rather watch Maddux work a hitter than watch Randy Johnson strike guys out.

That said, Jeff Weaver was nowhere near "great" last night. It was a great result, to be sure, but he was average at best.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kcs261 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Man, I was down in the mayhem in downtown St. Louis. It was one of the best nights of my life! ;-D
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GoatCurse03 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:54 pm

So I guess I want to ask the question of the cafe; would you rather watch a franchise dominate the sport for several years (doesn't have to be the Yankees folks ), or rather have what's going on now, which is 7 different champs in the last 7 years??

Different champs is definitely better. It keeps fans everywhere involved. If you see the title passing around including to teams that have not won in many people's lifetimes, you do think "why not us?", which helps teams draw fans/viewers/listeners and for those teams to hopefully reinvest in themselves. While I'd prefer teams spend it on player development rather than FAs, either way improves their team if done right, makes it more competitive and improves the quality on the field, at least generally. Very theoretical, I know, but I think different champs helps more than one team dominating and more other teams breaking spring training thinking they have no shot. That's going to happen regardless, but I think it will happen less with more champs.

That's some soap box I just climbed down from 8-o
GoatCurse03
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Half Massed » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:38 pm

It's not necessarily that baseball hates seeing the underdog win, they just don't like them winning so quickly. Everyone wants to see the Indians beat the Yankees in a Major League type scenario, but if it happens in the division series and only "underdogs" are left to get to the WS, that's not as looked forwards to as the dominant team gliding into the WS then getting beaten by the underdog.

Anyways, personally, I prefer seeing different champs than a dynasty. I also thought it was important for an NL team to win the WS, especially after the NL's been getting slapped around left and right by the AL for a few years now.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:28 am

mak1277 wrote:there just weren't many moments that would make you remember where you were when you saw them.

I agree with this. The series itself was fine overall yet there weren't any of those moments.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:05 am

Good article at hardballtimes.com about the Cardinals.
link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers