Duke lacrosse update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Duke lacrosse update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:16 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I want to know when he and Sharpton and the rest of them are going to issue public apologies and lead parades through the streets of Durham with signs saying "we all rushed to judgment and we apologize".

Ah, we can only dream of such a day!
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tal1286 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:00 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I want to know when he and Sharpton and the rest of them are going to issue public apologies and lead parades through the streets of Durham with signs saying "we all rushed to judgment and we apologize".

did sharpton ever apologize for tawanna brawley (sp?)? Sharpton and JJ are 2 of the biggest jokes in the US.

In any case, I actually think a case like this could be a springboard for a constructive change. Maybe a good law would be that if a woman claims rape and the accused can be demonstrably shown to be innocent, she gets jailed, or punished in some manner.

It might sound extreme, but I know that myself and many other people I've talked to, as well as some people on this site, have said that this kind of makes all women claiming rape lose credibility. If women knew that lying had consequences, the world wouldn't have to deal with BS like this.

I mean, it's problematic because it might discourage women from coming forward who have legit cases but so might the disdain from a disbelieving public after a high profile case like this one.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 pm

tal1286 wrote:

did sharpton ever apologize for tawanna brawley (sp?)? Sharpton and JJ are 2 of the biggest jokes in the US.

In any case, I actually think a case like this could be a springboard for a constructive change. Maybe a good law would be that if a woman claims rape and the accused can be demonstrably shown to be innocent, she gets jailed, or punished in some manner.

It might sound extreme, but I know that myself and many other people I've talked to, as well as some people on this site, have said that this kind of makes all women claiming rape lose credibility. If women knew that lying had consequences, the world wouldn't have to deal with BS like this.

I mean, it's problematic because it might discourage women from coming forward who have legit cases but so might the disdain from a disbelieving public after a high profile case like this one.

A more simple (and perhaps practical?) solution would be to afford the accused the same right to privacy as the accuser. Either that or don't allow the name of accuser to remain sealed. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems quite hypocritical to go to such great lengths to protect one but not the other.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby tal1286 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:58 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
tal1286 wrote:

A more simple (and perhaps practical?) solution would be to afford the accused the same right to privacy as the accuser. Either that or don't allow the name of accuser to remain sealed. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems quite hypocritical to go to such great lengths to protect one but not the other.

that'd be fair.

On another note - this is such a serious thread...Personally, I'm just biding my time until someone hits 3 Home Runs in a game.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:06 am

tal1286 wrote:

Of course Sharpton and Jackson never apologized, they are the two biggest racists on the face of the earth. Love how they call themselves civil rights leaders when they are in fact the exact opposite of that. They both hate all races besides blacks, and they only get involved if there's something in it for them. They don't give a crap about the struggles black people are dealing with in this country. They just care about themselves, its pretty pathetic actually.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:31 am

I really wasn't paying much attention to this whole thing. Not at the very beginning of it, not ever.

But I did catch Jon Stewart giving it to Nancy Grace tonight on the Daily Show. And I laughed. Of all the "news" people on TV, she's easily one of the worst.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Duke lacrosse update

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:43 am

I believe Nifong goes under the BAR's knife today. Other than whether or not he's disbarred, I'm curious to see if he admits why he was so insistent on prosecuting these boys even when the evidence was so dramatically in their favor.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby JTWood » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:19 am

He was disbarred, he just lost his job, and he's expected to be sued.

Link
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:29 am

JTWood wrote:He was disbarred, he just lost his job, and he's expected to be sued.

Link

Damn. Sucks to be him. I guess the only thing that would make his life worse would be if he struck out looking playing slow pitch softball.

Kidding, of course.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:51 am

Lofunzo wrote:
JTWood wrote:He was disbarred, he just lost his job, and he's expected to be sued.

Link

Damn. Sucks to be him. I guess the only thing that would make his life worse would be if he struck out looking playing slow pitch softball.

Kidding, of course.

i'm pretty sure my life is much better than Nifong's despite my performance last thursday
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk