Morneau in 2007 - Yay or Nay? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Morneau in 2007 - Yay or Nay?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How will Morneau's 2007 season compare to his 2006?

Better
7%
Same
45%
Worse
48%

Total votes : 29

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:21 pm

I expect a slight raise in power, a lower average, and fewer RBIs.

He was the beneficiary this year of an abnormally good Mauer year. Mauer was often on base, pitchers were throwing from the stretch, and Morneau capitalized.

I have no figures to back this up. The World Series isn't over! I'm still working on the sitting back/drinking beer portion of my baseball year.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:02 pm

I expect some regression across the board to something like 300-32-115.

If you look at his splits, he had two torrid months in June and July during which he hit 18 HR and his OPS was 1.137 and 1.130 respectively. The other four months his OPS was never over 889 and he had 698 in April. If you look at pre- and post-ASB, his power dropped off the map in the second half but his BA rose. He hit only 11 HR in 292 at-bats in the second half (only 4 in August and 2 in September in 217 at-bats).

What does all this mean? I have no clue. He's too young to know whether he's just a very streaky hitter or whether his June and July were just above his head. Did pitchers learn to pitch better to him in the second half? Did they pitch around him?

I do have a feeling that June and July were above his head. If you take out just one of those months, you're looking at 28 to 30 HR and not 34. On the other hand, he's young and likely not reached his peak.

Also, he had 592 at-bats last year, which is quite a bit for a slugger who hits in the middle of the lineup. Twinkies will have to continue hitting well across the lineup next season to give him as many at-bats. I'm not saying they won't, but if the lineup loses any of its firepower next year (will Mauer hit 350 again?) then his at-bats and counting stats could decline.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 pm

I expect numbers pretty close to what he put up this year. His average may dip a bit, but not a whole lot. And some natural progression could raise his power a bit as well. Overall I think he will be as good as he was this year. I would love to see the Twins get a nice batter to cover him in the 6th hole, but we will just have to see what happens this offseason.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jjredick » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:27 pm

I agree. I think he can put up similar numbers he did last year in the upcoming season. More run support the better.
jjredick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Old_Style » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:39 pm

just like the others, i've got morneau droping off a little bit but will put up solid numbers.

i have him going .295/32/110
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:54 am

As some of the others have said, he was over hyped for the 2005 season. He killed the ball after being called up in 04, but he disappointed last season due to injury. I'm sure some people still drafted him for this year, but eventually dropped him after he hit .208 in April and figured we would get Morneau 05 again. He could be found in the FA on a lot of league probably because he was dropped and not because he went undrafted.

I think Yoda hit the nail on the head. His success will depend on how he does against left handed pitchers. I think the AVG will come down a bit, but the powe won't go anywhere.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby eftda » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:12 am

Worse. Overvalued, but still good.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers