Random Offseason Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Random Offseason Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ironman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:53 pm

ThatDude wrote:
cubsrock wrote:jones>sheff

now that he's used to the NL he should do better this year. Sheff may be a good player, but hes not worth as much money as he wants.

Jones will never be anywhere near Sheff in terms of production. It has nothing to do Jones being in the NL for a year. Jones can't hit lefties, period. Look it up.

Jones is a platoon player, Sheff is an offensive monster. It's not even close.

Talking about whether a player is worth the money he wants is moot. IMO, Jones isn't worth 4 million.

Here I edited it. ;-)

spending money elsewhere>Sheff>Jones
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:10 pm

ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
cubsrock wrote:jones>sheff

now that he's used to the NL he should do better this year. Sheff may be a good player, but hes not worth as much money as he wants.

Jones will never be anywhere near Sheff in terms of production. It has nothing to do Jones being in the NL for a year. Jones can't hit lefties, period. Look it up.

Jones is a platoon player, Sheff is an offensive monster. It's not even close.

Talking about whether a player is worth the money he wants is moot. IMO, Jones isn't worth 4 million.

Here I edited it. ;-)

spending money elsewhere>Sheff>Jones

Where exactly is this "elsewhere"?

There is no FA position player that can match Sheff's production.

Soriano might come close, but cost many millions more over the length of his likely-to-be 5 year contract. By the 3rd year of that deal, whoever signs Soriano will be extremely disappointed.

Carlos Lee is a joke. Whoever signs him will be even more disappointed. His production won't ever come near his paycheck.

Now, if Hendry can find a good platoon partner for Jones at a good price, it's possible to make RF an asset instead of a problem. Byrnes is the first name that comes to mind.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:46 am

The exclusive negotiating window with Aramis will be closing some time today.

If they manage to screw this up and let him walk, you can flush the rest of this offseason and the entire 2007 season down the toilet right now.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LukeW9027 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:04 am

Ok, Now that we got ARAM and Soriano in the lineup, here is my outlook for the Cubs in 07.

Lineup

1- Soriano CF
2- DeRosa 2B
3- D Lee 1B
4- ARAM 3B
5- Barrett C
6- Jones RF
7- Murton LF
8- Izturis SS
9- Zambrano P

This looks like a solid lineup to me, but idk if Izturis is the answer at short.

As for the Pitching, the Cubs have a long way to go.
I like the core of Z, Prior, and Hill, but the cubs are gonna have to sign at least 1 solid SP on the market if this rotation is gonna work out.

But what i think will be one of the key points of success for the Cubs in 07 will be the Bullpen.

If Dumpster can get his Sh** together, this will be a great 'pen.

Obviously the two studs in Eyre and Howry, but i think Wood and Cotts will be huge this year and provide nice innings of middle relief.

But when it comes down to it, the Cubbies are gonna have to find some starting pithcing out on the market. If they can do that, i think it may be a big year for the North Siders.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:26 am

why exactly is everyone soooo ungodly concerned with the cubs hitting still...look at the pitching...Z and Hill are pretty much the only solid options right now, and Z was hurt at the end of the year...if prior and wood could ever stay healthy for a FULL YEAR it would be amazing, but no way in hell does that happen...

batting order i believe will be...

1 Murton
2 Cedeno
3 Soriano
4 DLee
5 ARam
6 DeRosa
7 Barrett
8 Jones
9 Pitcher

but they really need to figure something out for that rotaion as gettin Wells would be outstanding, but i think the lineup is very solid and now just need pitching to solidify the team...a guy like Meche would help out a bunch...if Marshall could become a pitcher that could give quality starts that would help...and what about getting Cotts a couple more pitches and fine tuning the others and reverting him back to his starting pitcher spot he started his career as...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby crazyforbaseball » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:18 pm

Jimbo needs to get some pitching at the GM meetings this coming week.
crazyforbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LukeW9027 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:34 pm

agreed. I heard we offered Lilly a 4 year deal. What do you gusy think about Lilly? i have mixed emotions of him.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby statsman88 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:32 pm

Lilly is Ok, but I like Jennings alot more. If we got rid of Jones though, does that mean Pie is coming up? If we added Lilly and Jennings though, that would just about be overkill on our starters:

Zambrano, Jennings, Lilly, Prior, Miller, Hill, Marshall, Marmol. But after last year it would be kinda nice to know that we have a starting pitching staff.

Id love to see Jennings come to Chicago, at best though would be Schmidt. Lilly concerns me. I really liked Jacque Jones last year, he was a pretty consistent hitter all year and I to see us lose him, but if we bolster the rotation a little bit, i guess its worth it
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:53 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:agreed. I heard we offered Lilly a 4 year deal. What do you gusy think about Lilly? i have mixed emotions of him.

generally favorable view, but i'd rather have Meche, who is really turinging the corner IMO. Lilly has shown he has the stuff, but his inconsistency is mind-numbing.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:43 pm

RugbyD wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:agreed. I heard we offered Lilly a 4 year deal. What do you gusy think about Lilly? i have mixed emotions of him.

generally favorable view, but i'd rather have Meche, who is really turinging the corner IMO. Lilly has shown he has the stuff, but his inconsistency is mind-numbing.

I just hope they don't sign Jason Marquis. :-P
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Cubs