Random Offseason Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Random Offseason Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:39 pm

If you want to turn this team from 95 losses to a WS contender in one offseason, here's how you do it.

Micheals (CF)
Soriano (2B)
Lee (1B)
Aramis (3B)
Sheffield (RF)
Barrett (C)
Murton (LF)
Izturis/Cedeno(SS)

Zambrano
Prior
Westbrook
Hill
Guzman

There's enough pieces to swing a deal for Westbrook/Michaels. Send them Jones/Howry/Mateo/Eric Patterson and get another prospect back in return.

Sheffield wouldn't take much to get either. Give them one of the Marshall/Marmol/Ryu group and maybe another lower leverl guy like Shaver for Sheff+$5-6M.

Sure, it's not a cheap team, and it probably can't be held together for too long, but it's a hell of a turnaround real quick.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:48 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Why would you hit someone with a .330 OBP and 40 HR leadoff?
Especially when it would be Cedeno and the pitcher hitting in front of him. That's a lot of solo shots.

All I can say is that it worked out just fine for the Nats this year and I don't recall them having a juggernaut 8-9.

His numbers don't lie. He's a disaster anywhere but leadoff. It's not conventional wisdom to put his numbers there, but that's the only way it works out. It's not ideal, but I am at a loss for better, dependable options.

30 of his 46 HR's were solo shots. 61 of his 89 XBH were with no one on. That's just seems like a lot of waste to me.

He does seem to hit better when he is batting first in the order but do you really think that matters that much after the first inning?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:49 pm

I'd really like to see how Theriot does in Spring Training. If he can produce like he did in the final month of the season, I think he could be a legit option at 2B.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:53 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Why would you hit someone with a .330 OBP and 40 HR leadoff?
Especially when it would be Cedeno and the pitcher hitting in front of him. That's a lot of solo shots.

All I can say is that it worked out just fine for the Nats this year and I don't recall them having a juggernaut 8-9.

His numbers don't lie. He's a disaster anywhere but leadoff. It's not conventional wisdom to put his numbers there, but that's the only way it works out. It's not ideal, but I am at a loss for better, dependable options.

30 of his 46 HR's were solo shots. 61 of his 89 XBH were with no one on. That's just seems like a lot of waste to me.

He does seem to hit better when he is batting first in the order but do you really think that matters that much after the first inning?

I agree about Soriano in the leadoff spot, I'd bat him 2nd. He does seem to like hitting at the top of the order, but his XBH would be a bit more productive in the 2 spot.

But I've never been upset when the leadoff hitter homers and my team is out to the early 1-0 lead.

As for how much it matters after the first inning, not too much really.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 pm

ironman wrote:I'd really like to see how Theriot does in Spring Training. If he can produce like he did in the final month of the season, I think he could be a legit option at 2B.

If he does well enough at the plate in ST, he can take over SS and we can give Izturis' worthless hide his unconditional release.

I'd happily eat the salary to be rid of him. Roster space is more important than salary right now.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:01 pm

ThatDude wrote:
ironman wrote:I'd really like to see how Theriot does in Spring Training. If he can produce like he did in the final month of the season, I think he could be a legit option at 2B.

If he does well enough at the plate in ST, he can take over SS and we can give Izturis' worthless hide his unconditional release.

I'd happily eat the salary to be rid of him. Roster space is more important than salary right now.

Right now I see Izturis having more value than Cedeno. Izturis is better defensively and you really can't be worse at the plate than Ronny.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:16 pm

ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

Right now I see Izturis having more value than Cedeno. Izturis is better defensively and you really can't be worse at the plate than Ronny.

I don't disagree. But Neifi had more value than either of them, and that's certainly not a compliment.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:19 pm

ThatDude wrote:
ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

I don't disagree. But Neifi had more value than either of them, and that's certainly not a compliment.

I don't agree with that. Neifi was on the wrong side of 30, had a declining glove, and can't run. Izturis may have the same for offensive power but he's only like 27 so there's still time to improve, plus he does have some speed.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cubsrock » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:52 pm

jones>sheff

now that he's used to the NL he should do better this year. Sheff may be a good player, but hes not worth as much money as he wants.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ThatDude » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:08 pm

cubsrock wrote:jones>sheff

now that he's used to the NL he should do better this year. Sheff may be a good player, but hes not worth as much money as he wants.

Jones will never be anywhere near Sheff in terms of production. It has nothing to do Jones being in the NL for a year. Jones can't hit lefties, period. Look it up.

Jones is a platoon player, Sheff is an offensive monster. It's not even close.

Talking about whether a player is worth the money he wants is moot. IMO, Jones isn't worth 4 million.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Cubs