Random Offseason Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Random Offseason Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Random Offseason Thoughts

Postby ThatDude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:47 am

1) Trading for Arod would likely be a disaster. There's too many holes to fill to be able to afford not only his contract, but also the players we would give up to get him. Sure, he's a highly productive player, but trading for him creates more holes than it fills, and limits the funds to get players to fill those holes we already have.

2) A big "No Thanks" to Zito, Schmidt, and just about every other FA starter out there. Not only will they be overpaid, they are a pretty far thing from a sure bet. If we are going to gamble on pitching, it makes more sense to gamble on the kids with upside and cheap contracts than to gamble on the vets with no upside and huge contracts.

3) The offense must improve, and having Derrek back for a full season just isn't enough. There's no rational reason to expect him to put up 2005 numbers again, and even if he does, he still needs help. And no, Pierre does not count as help, and I can only hope he isn't back next year.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:07 am

So who do you want them to get?
I have to think A-Ram is the first priority. If Pierre is gone then you need a CF. There is an open spot in the MI too right?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)

Re: Random Offseason Thoughts

Postby RugbyD » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:10 am

ThatDude wrote:3) The offense must improve, and having Derrek back for a full season just isn't enough. There's no rational reason to expect him to put up 2005 numbers again, and even if he does, he still needs help. And no, Pierre does not count as help, and I can only hope he isn't back next year.

Soriano would be my first choice since he can play leadoff and learn CF. Wells is my second choice b/c he's a big stick and solid CF, but then we'd pretty much have to nail down Lugo to lead off. I can't think of anyone else.

Knowing the Cubs, they will trade Rich Hill for Gary Sheffield, who we will sign to a multiyear deal, and I will cry.

Does anyone have a list of who the FA SPs are this year aside from Zito and Schmidt?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Soriano is not good leadoff hitter. Lugo isn't a bad choice. Wells isn't a FA until the end of 07 and I'd think Toronto would want some decent prospects.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Soriano is not good leadoff hitter. Lugo isn't a bad choice. Wells isn't a FA until the end of 07 and I'd think Toronto would want some decent prospects.

Soriano is perfectly fine as a leadoff guy, in fact that's where he's always done his best work. He turned the corner in pretty much every aspect as a hitter this year except Ks and that was done in a pitcher's park. Even if he regresses back to .330 OBP his 40+ HR more than makes up for it. Wrigley's small dimensions make him less of a liability than in other parks.

Wrigley's characteristics are best suited to a Damon or Youkilis leadoff-type, not a Pierre. Few Youks exist, so the next best is either Soriano or Lugo, but if you get Lugo, that still leaves a need for a big OF stick. If Wells is still in Toronto thru 07, then there are no big CF sticks to get outside of Soriano. If we go after Lee (which is a bad idea b/c he is a DH) or some other corner guy, it would displace either Murton or Jones, neither of whom are benchworthy (wasted resources) in terms of comparing them to an average OF.

Feasible batting order for 07:

Soriano
Lugo
DLee
Aramis
Murton
Barret
Jones
Cedeno
Pitcher
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Why would you hit someone with a .330 OBP and 40 HR leadoff?
Especially when it would be Cedeno and the pitcher hitting in front of him. That's a lot of solo shots.

Why not this?

Lugo
Murton
DLee
Soriano
Aramis
Barret
Jones
Cedeno
Pitcher
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:51 pm

#1 priority MUST be retaining Ramirez.

After that I'd like to see them make a run for Vernon Wells.

Julio Lugo would be nice but for how much? I'd be fine with Izturis and Theriot at SS & 2B.

Am I the only one that thinks Soriano wouldn't workout well? The guy pissed and moaned about playing the OF last year. What's to think he'll be OK with shifting to CF, especially if we have a weakness at 2B? Or has he gotten over the fact that he's a lousy second basemen and is better suited for the OF?

Theriot
Murton
Wells
Lee
Ramirez
Barrett
Jones
Izturis

I can live with that.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:So who do you want them to get?
I have to think A-Ram is the first priority. If Pierre is gone then you need a CF. There is an open spot in the MI too right?

I want them to pretty much avoid the FA market.

There's truckloads of young kids, some of them can be traded off to fill the gaps, instead of throwing money at grossly overpaid players.

Yes, resigning Aramis is job #1.

After that, there's holes in CF, SS and 2B. I consider Izturis/Cedeno/Theriot to be a hole. Pierre sucks hard, resigning him is the single worst move the Cubs could make this offseason.

Trading just makes so much more sense. You could get a Westbrook/Michaels package from the Indians. Maybe DeJesus from KC. Maybe a big time RF power-hitting prospect. Maybe all of the above.

I don't honestly see this team competing next year, there are too many holes that need to be filled. I mean, this team miraculously avoided losing 100 games this year. This team needs to be rebuilt.

Keep Derrek, Aramis, Zambrano, and Prior. Let the kids, including Murton and Hill, run crazy on the field this year. Hell, they might even be good enough to make a run themselves.

Of course, there is something to be said for gearing up for a run next year. It only took 83 regular season wins to get to the WS this year, right? No telling how much longer the NL is going to be this weak.

But, I'd rather have a team that will have a realistic shot at the postseason for a 4-5 year stretch than to load it all up in one shot, especially when this team is so far away.

Lugo is a gawd-awful choice. I want more than a .340 OBP out of my leadoff hitter, and he's on the wrong side of 30 to be expecting any real improvement.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:17 pm

ironman wrote: Or has he gotten over the fact that he's a lousy second basemen and is better suited for the OF?

I believe this is now the case from what I recall reading/hearing in the 2nd half, in addition to that his performance was decent for someone with no experience. His speed can partially make up for shortcomings in experience, and he will continue to improve with time. He's a very gifted natural athlete.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why would you hit someone with a .330 OBP and 40 HR leadoff?
Especially when it would be Cedeno and the pitcher hitting in front of him. That's a lot of solo shots.

All I can say is that it worked out just fine for the Nats this year and I don't recall them having a juggernaut 8-9.

His numbers don't lie. He's a disaster anywhere but leadoff. It's not conventional wisdom to put his numbers there, but that's the only way it works out. It's not ideal, but I am at a loss for better, dependable options.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs