Bochy leaves Padres, goes to Giants. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bochy leaves Padres, goes to Giants.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:02 pm

Deuce wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:will the bochy signing have any impact on how the giants plan on dealing with bonds?

He walked Bonds with the bases loaded.

I'm depressed :-t

Wasn't it Showalter that did that? Or did Bochy do it too?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Why go to the Giants? Aren't most of their players elligible for social security? I have to think the Pads have a better team now and for the future. He better be gitting a lot of money.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby AdvRider » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:23 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:will the bochy signing have any impact on how the giants plan on dealing with bonds?

Not really. B.B. will be the manager -- set the lineup, schedule practices, assign coaches, choose the postgame buffet fixings.

Um ... that's B.B. = Barry Bonds, not B.B. = Bruce Bochy.

That's one reason they hired Bochy. If Bonds does return, Bochy is just the sort of go-along get-along guy who can "manage" Barry with minimal conflict.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Surprising to me. Been in the Padres organization a long time and goes to a division rival. Curious whether he knew something most don't about his long term future with the Pads. Or, whether this was simply a money grab.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why go to the Giants? Aren't most of their players elligible for social security? I have to think the Pads have a better team now and for the future. He better be gitting a lot of money.

I believe the Giants currently have 12 pending FAs and currently have 47 million to equal a 85 million dollar payroll target. I actually think the Giants might be the likely landing spot of Soriano if they let him play 2B.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why go to the Giants? Aren't most of their players elligible for social security? I have to think the Pads have a better team now and for the future. He better be gitting a lot of money.

They have a young rotation and a golden arm in Lincecum in the minors. I think they will be a lot better than the Pads in 3 years.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:53 pm

Yoda wrote:

They have a young rotation and a golden arm in Lincecum in the minors. I think they will be a lot better than the Pads in 3 years.
I don't know. They have 2 young starters in Cain and Lowry but I don't see much else of value. Admittedly I don't really know anything about their minors but I was under the impression that there wasn't much there.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby AdvRider » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:46 pm

I don't know. They have 2 young starters in Cain and Lowry but I don't see much else of value. Admittedly I don't really know anything about their minors but I was under the impression that there wasn't much there.

Nothing in the way of outfield prospects, that's for sure.

Maybe they'll get Barry's bud Sheffield in a trade.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Deuce » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Deuce wrote:

He walked Bonds with the bases loaded.

I'm depressed :-t

Wasn't it Showalter that did that? Or did Bochy do it too?

You may be right. I think Bochy walked him to prevent the consecutive game homerun record. Let's see if he prevents him from getting the career homerun record.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:30 am

Bochy did not walk Bonds with the bases loaded, that was Showalter .. Bochy always pitched to Bonds, it was his disgusting 'forte' :-o

anyways, there has been lots of stories bantered about in the last couple of weeks about Sandy Alderson simply letting Bochy walk to a division rival. Sandy kept saying he wanted to make sure "Bochy was happy" and wanted to "Be Here" (never mind he was in the organization for two plus decades). The bottom line is Sandy Alderson would not offer a contract extension to him and all the public statements Sandy was making, leaned towards "Bruce was not welcome here" anymore.

Sandy kept denying this though ..

But the fact that Bruce Bochy just won back to back pennants, and walked out of his contract to a division rival, and Sandy never even asked for compensation .. is telling ..

Sandy truly wanted his guy .. Two division titles be damned ..

Yep, the Santa Ana's are kicking up ..
And I kind of like it .. ;-)

Go Padres
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)