Edmonds Option - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Edmonds Option

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edmonds Option

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:24 am

Rain sucks. :-t :-t

What does everyone think about Edmonds option? At this point I think the Cards have to pick it up and hope he is healthy. He's getting the $3 million buyout no matter what so the question to me is Edmonds worth a $7 million, 1 year deal. I don't think you are going to find someone to take Edmonds place for that kind of money. It took a $5 million, 3 year to get Encarnacion. Plus the organization seems pretty high on Rasmus and I'd expect him to get a shot at CF in 2008.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Rain sucks. :-t :-t

Not when it results in three runs for the Cardinals. :-D

It can't get much worse for him in terms of health than it did this year can it? :-o I don't know who else is out there, but at this point $7 million for Edmonds doesn't look that bad at all. What they really need IMO is a cheap on base machine LF (or 2B) to put in the two spot in front of Pujols, but I guess neither of those come all that cheap. :*)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Rain sucks. :-t :-t

Not when it results in three runs for the Cardinals. :-D

It can't get much worse for him in terms of health than it did this year can it? :-o I don't know who else is out there, but at this point $7 million for Edmonds doesn't look that bad at all. What they really need IMO is a cheap on base machine LF (or 2B) to put in the two spot in front of Pujols, but I guess neither of those come all that cheap. :*)
Duncan is the LF in my mind. He might not get many starts vs. LHP and his defense needs work but if he can come close to his 2nd half numbers he needs to be in the lineup.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:43 pm

i think they will pick up the option or give him a two year extension for something less than 10 a year. still, they will need a capable backup CF that they feel comfortable with playing 30 games or so in CF. that someone isnt preston wilson, encarnacion or taguchi. i am not sure if its skip schumaker either. even if edmonds ends up being healthy i think they should be a little proactive and give him regular rest.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:05 pm

I agree. The only thing with Duncan is I think with 450+ AB the league is gonna figure him out and he won't be on pace to hit 40+ HR like he did after the ASB. He'll get 30, sure, but he's still not the high OBP guy they need in front of Pujols ... at least not yet, maybe in a year or two. And that still leaves the other corner OF spot to be filled and there's no one in house who can do that yet, so you've got to keep Edmonds so you're not looking for two middle of the order OF bats this winter. :-o

Though I think they've proven this year that the regular season means squat if you get healthy and hot at the right time. :-]
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals