Albert Pujols should be embarrassed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Albert Pujols should be embarrassed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 am

Just because he's a great player - it doesn't mean he is or is not a great human being.

And did people read the same article I did?!? This guy acknowledges he didn't think Pujols was going to be great - and no one else did either.

"I will say one thing. If there's anybody that can stand there and tell me truthfully this is what they thought he'd do, I would call them a liar to their face and never flinch."
-- Dave Karaff about Albert Pujols

Mostly, he charted people who'd never spend a day in the big leagues. Then there was this young man in Kansas City. Albert Pujols. He had obvious skills. The Cardinals' scouting form gave players a grade between two and eight, Karaff says, with each prospect getting a present and future score in each category. A "five" is considered major-league average.

"I probably made him a six hitter future," Karaff says, "but he probably was a four hitter present."

And no one said anything that Pujols had anything to do with his firing - just that Pujols' comments seemed harsh in light of the fact the guy was fired 3 years ago and went from dream job to stock-boy. (And do people truly know what sarcasm is? Pujols comments were far from). Point is, though, that Pujols could have made no comment or just said he didn't want to talk about the guy. Instead he makes public comments trashing the guy? Why? What benefit does Pujols get from that? He could have taken the high road and he didn't. Doesn't make him a jerk, per se, but it doesn't exude class, either.

I'm sure the ESPN story was done b/c it was picked up from an earlier story about the scout - the guy who signed Pujols being out of a job as a scout. Maybe he got fired b/c he couldn't actually evaluate talent. Maybe he got fired b/c Pujols was his only significant sign (it isn't as if the Cards have a great minor league system). Whatever. It is a news piece and is "one-sided" simply because that was the point - it was just telling the story of the guy who scouted Pujols no longer being a scout. Had Pujols made no comment, it would have still been a story.

Instead, Pujols trashed the guy, which makes the story bigger. The guy doesn't seem to care (though his wife and family still do). But whether Pujols is a jerk or not, he obviously needs someone to let him know he isn't helping his self image. When the KC Star came to him the first time in the story about the scout, he could have simply made no comment or a "I'm sorry that he got fired, but I didn't know him well". Whatever. Point is, by making the comments he did, it allowed him to be portrayed as a jerk when he had no reason to comment in the first place. He may not have liked the guy, and he may have been glad he got fired. But, in public, slamming a guy who got fired generally doesn't endear yourself to Joe Public.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby mak1277 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:42 am

wrveres wrote:Could you imagine if scouts told every JC college guy they signed, that they were going to make the show .. please ..

and I seriouslly doubt that Albert had anything to do with his firing.

I have noticed the beginning of a trend though.
It seems to me that the press isn't real fond of Albert. At least I am starting to get that impression. Has anybody else noticed this? I have picked this up just in casual conversation with people who I wouldn't consider baseball fans, but at least know the game somewhat, and they will tell me that they "don't like Pujols" .. My old Roomate can't stand him, and he is the farthest thing from a real fan. Heck he will only watch a game once the playoffs starts ...

I don't get it ..

This is kind of disturbing to me. If the press starts hating Albert, I might actually have to start rooting for him. :-o
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:28 am

What do you mean by publicly trashing the guy? Two sentences that could have been uttered at any point in his career?? This story is a space filler, nothing more.

On the press not liking Pujols, well, the guy seems to be cocky. When a pitcher beats him, he gets pissed. Lashing out at Glavine wasn't the first time he bad mouthed somebody. It doesn't do this constantly, and his quotes are usually very respectful, but the guy is human and gets angry sometimes.

Pujols doesn't seem extremely adept at handling press questions sometimes. He's very blunt, which can be a good thing, but he does it to the point of being rude. Though, I think saying the media is starting to turn on Pujols is a bit of an exaggeration. He's very idolized in StLouis, and anytime I watch Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight they put him on a pedestal. You're roommate not liking him, well I really have no reason why that is. Perhaps the ole hating the superstar of a sport ya don't really know syndrome??
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mak1277 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:31 am

RAmst23 wrote: He's very idolized in StLouis

By the fans, maybe, but did you read the Brian Burwell article comparing him to Barry Bonds from the standpoint of "jerky-ness"?
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:38 am

wrveres wrote:Could you imagine if scouts told every JC college guy they signed, that they were going to make the show .. please ..

and I seriouslly doubt that Albert had anything to do with his firing.

I have noticed the beginning of a trend though.
It seems to me that the press isn't real fond of Albert. At least I am starting to get that impression. Has anybody else noticed this? I have picked this up just in casual conversation with people who I wouldn't consider baseball fans, but at least know the game somewhat, and they will tell me that they "don't like Pujols" .. My old Roomate can't stand him, and he is the farthest thing from a real fan. Heck he will only watch a game once the playoffs starts ...

I don't get it ..

I've been thinking this way for a while.
Last edited by Yoda on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:39 am

mak1277 wrote:
RAmst23 wrote: He's very idolized in StLouis

By the fans, maybe, but did you read the Brian Burwell article comparing him to Barry Bonds from the standpoint of "jerky-ness"?

albert has been accused of having a holier than thou super christian attitude but not treating people (like reporters) very well. i have no idea how much truth is in that. i am sure there is some, but the same people writing those stories praise his good work and attitude later in the season. i think the reporters are disappointed albert isnt the anti-bonds character that they want him to be.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 am

Something tells me if this story was about A-Rod, the bias of this article would go un-noticed...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby mak1277 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:03 pm

The larger point here, though, is whether or not we should care whether Albert Pujols (or anyone else) is a jerk? I for one, say no way in hell.

Frankly, I don't care if Albert personally fired that scout...how on earth does that effect me or my enjoyment of watching him play? I have no interest in the personality of pro athletes whatsoever.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:57 pm

Just keep being the best player in the game, Pujols. I could really care less if you are a jerk in real life or not, just keep being that baseball hitting machine you have been the last few years.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:32 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Just keep being the best player in the game, Pujols. I could really care less if you are a jerk in real life or not, just keep being that baseball hitting machine you have been the last few years.

;-D ;-D ;-D
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers