100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod stopped at 546......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:41 pm

Here's an article about it:

Rodriguez's streak of consecutive games ends at 546

September 24, 2003
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Texas shortstop Alex Rodriguez didn't play for the Rangers in Wednesday's 5-3 loss to Oakland, ending his consecutive games streak at 546.

Rodriguez, who sat out for the first time since July 23, 2000, was getting ready to pinch hit in the ninth, but the game ended when Einar Diaz hit into a double play.

``He gave me the option,'' Rodriguez said of manager Buck Showalter. ``It's no big deal. The streak means nothing to me. I'll start a new one Friday. The streak just shows my love for the game. I would never want to play just to extend something.''

Rodriguez's streak is the 22nd longest in major league history.

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 8:25 pm EDT

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:08 pm

I'm glad that he quit the streak. I think that Old St. Cal would have been more valuable to his team if he'd taken the occasional day off to rest.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:11 pm

It doesn't bother me at all that Arod took a day off. I'd rather have him take a day off now when it doesn't matter, rather than have him take a day off next year when it could matter.

Hey, I can hope for the best for my terrible Rangers, can't I? :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:35 am

Madison wrote:It doesn't bother me at all that Arod took a day off. I'd rather have him take a day off now when it doesn't matter, rather than have him take a day off next year when it could matter.

Hey, I can hope for the best for my terrible Rangers, can't I? :-D

While I like the fact that he took off, I would have liked to see him take a day off in July (for example). Taking a day off now says nothing to me really. Now, it is nothing more than making a statement. I like it when players take a day off when they need it rather than making a statement for or against a streak.

Like I said, everyone needs a day off but taking it now has a wrong smell to it. 8-o The bottom line is that if he would take the game off if they were in a pennant race, then all is well but I don't believe that is the case. 8-o If you need the break, then you need it but now is a strange time to take it. 8-o In closing, if he really didn't care about the streak, then he wouldn't have been in the on deck circle when Diaz grounded into a DP to end the game. If the streak didn't matter (as they are out of it), then he would have just been on the bench with the rest of the team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:55 am

Lofunzo wrote:if he really didn't care about the streak, then he wouldn't have been in the on deck circle when Diaz grounded into a DP to end the game. If the streak didn't matter (as they are out of it), then he would have just been on the bench with the rest of the team.

Not to disagree, but I watched the game. Arod was loosening up, but Ryan Christianson was in the on deck circle O:-) . Arod was warming up down the line, and would most likely have pinch hit if there was a chance the Rangers could have won the game.

Anyway, I do agree that Arod probably should have taken a day off in June/July just to get it out of the way. I wonder if it had anything to do with it being Tejada's last game in Oakland? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:40 am

Madison wrote:Not to disagree, but I watched the game. Arod was loosening up, but Ryan Christianson was in the on deck circle O:-) . Arod was warming up down the line, and would most likely have pinch hit if there was a chance the Rangers could have won the game.

I stand corrected. ;-D

If it was me and I wanted to start fresh and distance myself from the streak, I would have been in the clubhouse playing cards with Bonilla. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:46 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:Not to disagree, but I watched the game. Arod was loosening up, but Ryan Christianson was in the on deck circle O:-) . Arod was warming up down the line, and would most likely have pinch hit if there was a chance the Rangers could have won the game.

I stand corrected. ;-D

If it was me and I wanted to start fresh and distance myself from the streak, I would have been in the clubhouse playing cards with Bonilla. :-D

Deal me in. :-D Lol.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers