Mobile ESPN-Short Life Span - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mobile ESPN-Short Life Span

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mobile ESPN-Short Life Span

Postby Smooth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:11 pm

I just got a letter from ESPN Mobile saying that they will no longer be running after the first of the year. They are currently looking for another wireless service to pick up their plan. I have a feeling that ESPN thought that this would be a huge idea and obviously it kind of fizzled. Anyone with thoughts who has mobile espn?
Smooth
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:13 pm

If I were search savy I'd go find you the thread on this from when it was first announced like a month ago.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:54 pm

I didn't know this...that sucks for those who bought it...its pretty pointless though especially since lots of phones in the next year or so will have wifi built in
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:21 pm

I remember discussing this here months ago and saying it was pretty pointless and ridiculous. Unless you have residual income kicking around, why would you pay more for a nearly worthless service that says "ESPN" on it instead of just using a regular phone to go to sports websites!!??

Hold on; wait... does this mean my Stuart Scott Cable Service is going to get discontinued???

In any case, not surprised they're discontinuing the service, but I figured there would be enough ESPN humping people out there who would have gotten it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Coppermine wrote:I remember discussing this here months ago and saying it was pretty pointless and ridiculous. Unless you have residual income kicking around, why would you pay more for a nearly worthless service that says "ESPN" on it instead of just using a regular phone to go to sports websites!!??

Hold on; wait... does this mean my Stuart Scott Cable Service is going to get discontinued???

In any case, not surprised they're discontinuing the service, but I figured there would be enough ESPN humping people out there who would have gotten it.

Its just dumb..how much does that phone cost plus service??

I can get ESPN anywhere there is a wireless connection..which is everywhere in the universe
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:47 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I remember discussing this here months ago and saying it was pretty pointless and ridiculous. Unless you have residual income kicking around, why would you pay more for a nearly worthless service that says "ESPN" on it instead of just using a regular phone to go to sports websites!!??

I can get ESPN anywhere there is a wireless connection..which is everywhere in the universe

The original ESPN Mobile phone, just the phone, was $500!!!!. Can you believe it? They lowered that of course because people (most people anyone, I'm sure a few boneheads shelled it out) obviously weren't that dumb; to $199. The service was roughly $20 to $50 more per month than other service plans that let you visit any sports website; with ESPN Mobile, you could only access ESPN content.

"Unlimited" access to content really meant 35 mb downloadable per month (as in, viewable) and the voice service was lousy, at best.

Yeah, I really don't see a single reason to get it unless you're like that guy in the commercial who hangs out in front of ESPN studios trying to get an autograph from, of all people, Kenny Mayne.

Don't be that guy.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

The original ESPN Mobile phone, just the phone, was $500!!!!. Can you believe it? They lowered that of course because people (most people anyone, I'm sure a few boneheads shelled it out) obviously weren't that dumb; to $199. The service was roughly $20 to $50 more per month than other service plans that let you visit any sports website; with ESPN Mobile, you could only access ESPN content.

"Unlimited" access to content really meant 35 mb downloadable per month (as in, viewable) and the voice service was lousy, at best.

Yeah, I really don't see a single reason to get it unless you're like that guy in the commercial who hangs out in front of ESPN studios trying to get an autograph from, of all people, Kenny Mayne.

Don't be that guy.

ESPN is the devil
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Jebus, who really needs to be updated that frequently they need an entire sports network in their phone?

ESPN apparently is still in the test phase of a small chip that is implanted in your butt. The chip will sends signals to your brain that cause you to hear endless rants from dunderheads Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. And whenever you take a dump you can hear Stuart Scott exclaim "Boo-Ya!".

Initial results are positive. Only 2 out of 10 test subjects have gone insane and slit their wrists.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:20 pm

ironman wrote:Jebus, who really needs to be updated that frequently they need an entire sports network in their phone?

ESPN apparently is still in the test phase of a small chip that is implanted in your butt. The chip will sends signals to your brain that cause you to hear endless rants from dunderheads Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. And whenever you take a dump you can hear Stuart Scott exclaim "Boo-Ya!".

Initial results are positive. Only 2 out of 10 test subjects have gone insane and slit their wrists.

We should have a "post of the day" award. :-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk