New CBA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New CBA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New CBA

Postby mikekim2121 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
I really like that teams will get compensation for FAs. This will help restock teams who can't afford big FAs. ;-D

At this point, it seems to be hurting the weaker teams as much as helping them because of the big time teams who abuse it. But I guess reducing the amount of eliglible players is better than what it was.

*Hmm, I guess I was a little late on this msg since 2 of the 3 msg's right before me are saying the same exact thing.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:09 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I really don't get why MLB goes out of their way to screw over the Yankees, yet not actually do a thing about all the other big market teams. If they really wanted to even things out, they'd make the top 1/3 pay something. Instead, they are taking money away from a team who has no regard for spending... and why? The Yankees struggle to earn the best record in the AL, even with that salary. It isn't like they are trying to slow down a team who is buying more wins than anyone else can post. I'm not a Yankee fan, but as a fan of small-market teams, this doesn't make me the least bit pleased.

Screw that, make the Yankees pay.
Make em pay and pay and pay .. how does it hurt you.
Its not your cash ..;)
When they get tired of paying, all they have to do is reduce their payroll to an still obnoxious 150 million or so, and the tax will decrease ... :-D simple

As for the other 'big market' teams. Well that gap has become a lot smaller between them and the mid markets. Mostly because the Yankees pay out the nose :-) but a lot of it is because owners have finally learned, that if you don't need to spend $120 million to field a championship team, then why do it?

Seriousslly ..

Look at the Mets .. the Dodgers, the Red Sox .. all reducing payroll, and I can't see any of them crossing that 150 million threshold any time soon.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:44 pm

More on the CBA

As part of revenue sharing, teams are required to share receipts to prove they are spending to improve on-field performance.
Under the new CBA, however, the language has been strengthened on this provision, providing more accessible avenues to punish franchises if they don't use the money as specified.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:14 pm

wrveres wrote:More on the CBA

As part of revenue sharing, teams are required to share receipts to prove they are spending to improve on-field performance.
Under the new CBA, however, the language has been strengthened on this provision, providing more accessible avenues to punish franchises if they don't use the money as specified.

This is nice. If they are going to have revenue sharing, force teams to actually spend it to get better - not line owner's pockets. Not so ay an owner can't make money (it is, after all, a business), but for the sake of the fans, there should at least be some effort to get better.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Re: New CBA

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:22 pm

wrveres wrote:quick thoughts

Amazinz wrote:
Period of time before a Player must be protected from the Rule 5 Draft is changed from three or four years from first minor league season to four or five years from year of signing.

wow, surprised that MLPBA let that get extended .. interesting, I guess you have to give and take..

Don't think the MLBPA cares too much about minor leaguers. Their only real interest is protecting the interests of major leaguers. If teams get an extra year to evaluate prospects who have been in the system for 3+ years anyway (and can still escape after 6), not something I think the MLBPA cares about.

Which is why, come 2011, I won't be shocked to see them permit slotted signing bonuses for the player draft - ala NBA and NHL. HS and college players are not the focus of the MLBPA either and it might leave more money for the current major leaguers.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers