Firefox 2.0 is officially released! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Firefox 2.0 is officially released!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 am

sportsguy138 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:I personally have never used Firefox, but I'm willing to try it out.

Just wondering though, what's so great about Firefox that makes it better than IE? Also, I don't have that much memory on my computer, will installing this slow it down a lot?

Thanks.. ;-D

Firefox is less of a memory hog

It is customizable.

Has Tabs

You can download lots of additions to it for free.

Its constantly updated.

What's customizable? What kind of additions? Constantly updated in what way?

Just asking all of this because I already know you probably know it, and I'd rather not go look it up. :-b

So I'm guessing it wouldnt slow my computer down too much?

I think it would be faster then IE for your computer.

You can add in news feeds, Different skins, a media player right in the browser. You have spellcheck, weather updates. Everything you can think of.

Its updated more with features and security.

Its a small download just give it a try and if you don't like it uninstall it.

Look up firefox extensions and plugins after you download

I downloaded Firefox and haven't like it so far. It's been A LOT!!! slower than IE, and half the time an error will come up and won't load the page. The only reason I really like it is because of the tabs. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is Firefox just not for my computer?

Btw, anyone know if it's possible to have tabs for IE?

How old is your canadian built computer??
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:47 am

i keep looking for the "close tab" button on the far right. sometimes, tabs have a hard time switching back and forth on some sites. but overall, its a winner.

my 3 fav. extensions (add-ons):

all-in one gestures (mouse gestures)
dictionary search (from merriam-webster)
IE-tab (for those crappy non-compliant sites)

open-source browsers rock!
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:54 am

from some geek site:

If you're already using Firefox on a broadband connection, here's some tweaking you can do to make your browsing even faster.

* 1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll
down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

* 2. Alter the entries as follows:
Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like
30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

* 3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mugrila » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:19 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:My weatherfox keeps me updated on the weather; Gmail notifier lets me know when I've got email and StumbleUpon is the single greatest time-waster extension ever created!!!

Looking outside keeps me updated on the weather. A little Mail icon pops up on my task bar when I have mail. And if I want to waste time, I just come to the Cafe. :-D

Suck on that, Firefox! :-b

Firefox can play music straight from its browser and has customizable skis to make you feel all warm inside

I don't ever play music straight from my computer, so why do I need that?

Don't listen to all that crazy stuff, the only reason to use FF (or only reason why I use it) is for the tabs. Other than that I can't tell much of a difference to be honest with you. Tabs are awesome. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby theclefe » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:52 am

I love the misspelling feature.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:57 am

My favorite thing about Firefox is that ever since I have used it I have 0 adware on my computer when I run scans. When I used IE, I had a ton each day...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Old_Style » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:32 am

Phatferd wrote:My favorite thing about Firefox is that ever since I have used it I have 0 adware on my computer when I run scans. When I used IE, I had a ton each day...

i'm digging that part of it too. ;-D
the only reason i ever used firefox was becuase my computer teacher in high school had it as the default browser on all the lab computers so i carried that over to my home computer. the tab feature was the main reason i liked it...i guess i'll have to check out the new version.

man, i feel like such a nerd. B-)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby decoy562 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:37 am

acsguitar wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:I personally have never used Firefox, but I'm willing to try it out.

Just wondering though, what's so great about Firefox that makes it better than IE? Also, I don't have that much memory on my computer, will installing this slow it down a lot?

Thanks.. ;-D

It is customizable.

Has Tabs

Its constantly updated.

Well I haven't used Firefox since I caught Firefox having sex with my girlfriend a few years ago. Down with Firefox :-t
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:02 am

decoy562 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Thanks.. ;-D

It is customizable.

Has Tabs

Its constantly updated.

Well I haven't used Firefox since I caught Firefox having sex with my girlfriend a few years ago. Down with Firefox :-t

:-D This thread needed that

Now, If you think that the only difference between FF and IE6 is the tabs, then by all means, use IE7. I happen to spend a lot of time browsing the Internet, for various personal and business reasons, and getting Firefox literally made my life considerably easier; and not just for the tabs. As an open-source application, it's far less susceptible to adware and spyware. That should be the biggest reason for a computer novice or apathetic to use Firefox; it's less likely to jam your computer with garbage.

I don't really get the Phishing thing... that seems to be user error more than it is browser error. I guess both browsers can now let you know if the website is just posing as another one, but come on, if you get an email from PayPal asking for your credit card numbers, it's fake!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:39 am

Coppermine wrote:
decoy562 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Thanks.. ;-D

It is customizable.

Has Tabs

Its constantly updated.

:-D This thread needed that

Now, If you think that the only difference between FF and IE6 is the tabs, then by all means, use IE7. I happen to spend a lot of time browsing the Internet, for various personal and business reasons, and getting Firefox literally made my life considerably easier; and not just for the tabs. As an open-source application, it's far less susceptible to adware and spyware. That should be the biggest reason for a computer novice or apathetic to use Firefox; it's less likely to jam your computer with garbage.

I don't really get the Phishing thing... that seems to be user error more than it is browser error. I guess both browsers can now let you know if the website is just posing as another one, but come on, if you get an email from PayPal asking for your credit card numbers, it's fake!

I didn't know that. what about if AOL asks me for my password should I give it to them 8-o :-b

I don't use firefox anymore, IE baby ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk