2007 Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

2007 Rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:56 am

JTWood wrote:I'm kinda surprised they're even pursuing him. It has to be an incintive deal, right?

i would assume there would be some incentives in there. walt also said if they brought mulder back it would be on a two year deal.

IF he is healthy, i would think he would be able to manage a high 3/low 4 era. he probably wont ever resemble the pitcher the cardinals thought they were getting, but he might still be a useful player. the injury makes him cheap and relatively low risk considering it would be a two year deal compared to 4 years for someone like weaver or suppan.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:25 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
JTWood wrote:I'm kinda surprised they're even pursuing him. It has to be an incintive deal, right?

i would assume there would be some incentives in there. walt also said if they brought mulder back it would be on a two year deal.

IF he is healthy, i would think he would be able to manage a high 3/low 4 era. he probably wont ever resemble the pitcher the cardinals thought they were getting, but he might still be a useful player. the injury makes him cheap and relatively low risk considering it would be a two year deal compared to 4 years for someone like weaver or suppan.

In today's pitching world, high 3/low 4 is exactly what they were hoping for when they got him. Anymore, a 4.50 isn't looking that bad.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Still awfully quiet. We should know about Mulder by the end of the week. Speculation at cardsclubhouse is that the Cards best offer to Weaver will be 3 years, $24 million.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:38 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Still awfully quiet. We should know about Mulder by the end of the week. Speculation at cardsclubhouse is that the Cards best offer to Weaver will be 3 years, $24 million.

3/24 is reportedly more than they offered soup. i dont know who else is interested but odds are he is gone.

i get the impression mulder is waiting for the cards to step up with a comparable offer and walt is once again low-balling (not that that's a bad thing).
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:10 pm

mulder will apparently decide tonight or tomorrow (although i've heard that a few times before). more interesting is that the cards have allegedly put up a similar offer to the others...a guaranteed second year with incentives that could be worth as much as $18MM over two years. the cards incentives are probably more difficult to achieve, but if the deals are in the same ballpark i dont know why mulder would choose to go to cleveland or texas.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:27 am

Assuming Weaver does indeed sign with the Ms, I have to imagine that Wainwright will be looking at a starting role, but there's a huge hole now:

Carp
Reyes
Wells
Wainwright
???

Think they have a trade brewing?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 am

StlSluggers wrote:Assuming Weaver does indeed sign with the Ms, I have to imagine that Wainwright will be looking at a starting role, but there's a huge hole now:

Carp
Reyes
Wells
Wainwright
???

I doubt it. Chances are they stick Franklin in the 5th spot until Mulder is available.

Izzy better be ready to go or you might see Looper, Thompson or AAA SP as the 5th spot.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:08 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Assuming Weaver does indeed sign with the Ms, I have to imagine that Wainwright will be looking at a starting role, but there's a huge hole now:

Carp
Reyes
Wells
Wainwright
???

I doubt it. Chances are they stick Franklin in the 5th spot until Mulder is available.

Izzy better be ready to go or you might see Looper, Thompson or AAA SP as the 5th spot.

it would have been a nice insurance policy to have weaver back. sounds like he could have been had for 1 yr at $8MM...a decent gamble in my opinion. if you believe mulder will be ready mid season then weaver was just a luxury item for the cards.

franklin/thompson should be OK for half a season. narveson should get a long look. he is out of options and i am not so sure he would clear waivers. if there is a trade it would probably be narveson in ST just to get something in return rather than lose for nothing. ordinarily you might try narvy in the pen but the pen seems full. the left side has flores (recently given a two year deal), tyler johnson (1.23 playoff era with 12k in 7.1 IP), and rincon (i dont know his status, maybe he will be cut).

the rotation will be fine if wainwright and reyes pitch like they are capable. PECOTA and ZIPS project them to be good.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:29 am

jon lieber should also be available in ST should franklin look awful. lieber has slight groundball tendencies and doesnt walk many...basically a good candidate for duncan magic.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:29 pm

More and more it sounds like Looper will be the 5th starter unless he is horrible or someone else really steps up in Spring Training.
link
Last edited by Pogotheostrich on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Cardinals