2007 Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

2007 Rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:35 pm

I heard the same about Mulder not being ready to start the season. A 2-year deal like they gave Carp would be fine with me. Depending on Wainright in the pen or rotation you are looking for 2-3 SP. I'm still holding out hope for a legitimate #2. Encarnacion is OK defensively. At least good enough for RF. Rumor has it the Cards are trying to work out a 2 year deal with Edmonds. I'm pretty confident he will be back. But you are going to need a good 4th OF who can hit LHP and give the other guys a break.

If I had to guess, this is how I see their priorites
1. Exiting FA
2. SP
3. OF
4. bench
101. 2B
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:05 pm

jock says he may offer something different than a one-year incentive based deal for mulder. of course, something different probably means a two year deal for less than what another team offers for one year.

Jocketty on Thursday reaffirmed the Cardinals' interest in having Mulder return for a third season with his club and said the Cardinals may be interested in doing something different from the one-year, incentive-rich offers Mulder is bound to receive. Jocketty will travel to Arizona next week to meet with the organization's pro scouts and see the Arizona Fall League, but if the schedules can mesh, he and Clifton plan to meet. Clifton said he imagines Mulder would attend any meeting as well.

Whenever the GM and agent talk, another name is expected to come up: Luis Gonzalez.

The veteran outfielder, who will turn 40 next September, is also represented by Clifton and apparently caught Cardinals fever while broadcasting playoff games last month. Clifton said nine teams have contacted him about Gonzalez, who finished second in the NL with a career-high 52 doubles this season. Cleveland, Baltimore, Texas, Cincinnati and San Francisco are five of the nine.

The Cardinals are not, for now. Jocketty did attempt to trade for Gonzalez, a lefthanded-hitting left fielder, this past summer and said Thursday he still had interest in Gonzalez.

"I saw him during the playoffs, and he said in St. Louis that he'd never seen fans like that," Clifton said. "I've said all along, for me, I think Luis, well, you talk about a perfect fit for a guy and for a franchise. That's it. Veteran guy. In that atmosphere. He's got a lot left in the tank."
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:29 am

FA options are dwindling fast. Given the market prices I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep one of Suppan or Weaver and go with:

Carp
Weaver/Suppan
Reyes
Wainright
Wells

The Looper as a SP seems like a bad, bad, bad idea. I guess there is always a possibility of a trade but the Cards don't have that much in the way of prospects.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:FA options are dwindling fast. Given the market prices I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep one of Suppan or Weaver and go with:

Carp
Weaver/Suppan
Reyes
Wainright
Wells

The Looper as a SP seems like a bad, bad, bad idea. I guess there is always a possibility of a trade but the Cards don't have that much in the way of prospects.

i am a little confused about the looper to the rotation talk. originally i thought it was something walt and tony concocted to make looper seem like a more interesting piece of trade bait. i hope they arent serious about it. wainwright, thompson and hancock are better options. there is also narveson and sosa to consider, although sosa may very well be non-tendered. the cards are apparently considering signing dan kolb, who is kind of a lesser version of looper--hard throwing, ground ball inducing pitcher with hardly any strikeouts. bringing in kolb would clear up room for looper to move somewhere else, hopefully to a different team in exchange for a SP.

i'd rather have overspent on schmidt, but i guess i could live with weaver or soup. soup is definitely a long shot right now. the rotation seems to rely on reyes and wainwright pitching to expectations. they are both capable of being above average starters.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:17 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:FA options are dwindling fast. Given the market prices I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep one of Suppan or Weaver and go with:

Carp
Weaver/Suppan
Reyes
Wainright
Wells

Looks like it's Weaver or no one. Supp's a Brewer... dammit.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:43 pm

It is funny 3 years ago the Red Sox released him and the Cards signed him. Almost everyone thought it was a bad idea. 3 years and $9 million later the Cards got a great value and Soup got a 4 year and $42 million contract from the Brewers. You just have to tip your hat, thank Soup for the great years and look for the next bargain. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:38 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:look for the next bargain. ;-D

As long at it's not Looper. :-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:55 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:look for the next bargain. ;-D

As long at it's not Looper. :-o

Joel Pineiro anyone? :-B
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:53 am

I heard that they were thinking of bringing in the Korean Ace.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:12 am

I'm sure I'm way behind on this, but ESPN says the Cards are one of the three finalists for Mulder.

I'm kinda surprised they're even pursuing him. It has to be an incintive deal, right?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Cardinals