2007 Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

2007 Rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2007 Rotation

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Yeah, I'm bored during Rogers pitching gem here in Game Two, so I'm going to speculate and toss out random ideas.

2007 Rotation
Carp
Buehrle
Suppan
Weaver
Reyes

with Wainwright closing in Izzy's probable absence.

What do you think? Buehrle is obviously the big-dollar acquisition. Suppan probably won't be cheap, though I doubt he'll be too expensive. Weaver will get the traditional incentive deal, and Reyes is Reyes.

Doesn't seem too far-fetched does it?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:56 pm

I could have sworn we already had a topic on this but I don't see it.

ChiSox have an option on Buehrle and I don't see the Cards dealing for him after his 2006 season. Especially after the bad taste of the Mulder deal still fresh.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:44 am

Buehrle would be nice if he gave a sizeable hometown discount since he's expressed interest in playing in STL several times in the past, but that'd have to be after '07 like Pogo said. I'd rather see Wainwright in the rotation myself, but if Izzy isn't going to be around (is that a distinct possibility? I haven't been keeping up with it much :-?) Wainwright seems like the obvious guy to step into the role.

I wouldn't be crushed if the opening day rotation was something like:

Carpenter
Reyes
Suppan
Weaver
Wainwright

If Reyes puts it all together (I'm high on him going into the spring, but I'm probably also drinking the Game 1 Kool-Aid :*)) and Weaver has an entire season like he did once he came to STL then thats a pretty formidable top of the rotation. The big thing is going to be the bullpen IMO. If the guys who've stepped up so far in the post season are for real things *should* be just fine.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:53 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I could have sworn we already had a topic on this but I don't see it.

ChiSox have an option on Buehrle and I don't see the Cards dealing for him after his 2006 season. Especially after the bad taste of the Mulder deal still fresh.

We talked about it here: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=232950

Although that was more about Zito and Schmidt.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 am

I keep forgetting about Buehrle's option.

Who are the big FA lefties again? You don't think they go get Zito, do you?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:39 am

JTWood wrote:I keep forgetting about Buehrle's option.

the biggest is probably ray king or david wells. or did you mean the best?

lefty free agents are: pettitte, ted lilly, glavine, randy wolf, fatty wells, moyer, mulder, bruce chen, and mark redman.

http://mlb4u.com/freeagency.php?order=position
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:44 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:

lefty free agents are: pettitte, ted lilly, glavine, randy wolf, fatty wells, moyer, mulder, bruce chen, and mark redman.

Glavine has options as well.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:37 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:

I wouldn't want Zito, that's for sure ... at least not for what he's gonna command on the open market. :-o None of the other options really seem that appealing either. What are the chances Mulder comes back? He's probably the only decent one of that bunch .. maybe Wolf. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:12 am

I think Suppan might get more than the Cards are willing to offer.
I read one rumor about $10 million a year which seems utterly ridiculous. But it wouldn't shock me to see him get a deal like Morris got and I don't think the Cards will match that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I think Suppan might get more than the Cards are willing to offer.
I read one rumor about $10 million a year which seems utterly ridiculous. But it wouldn't shock me to see him get a deal like Morris got and I don't think the Cards will match that.

i am starting to believe the same. i didnt realize soup made just $10MM over the last three years. at 31, this is his best chance to get paid and i wouldnt blame him for taking that opportunity. $10MM a year is a bit much but i wouldnt be surprised to see him get 4/32 since he doesnt have any injury issues and has a 3.00 career playoff era. the cards got good value out of him, now they begin the search for the next bargain pitcher.

i think the odds are slim that mulder is back. jocketty is telling people mulder likely wont be ready to pitch until june. if mulder isnt able to pitch until june he is basically just a luxury item. the cards will have to find 5 starters + mulder. thats difficult, although not impossible, for a budget conscious team to accomplish. signing mulder is a little more doable if the cards think narveson would do ok as a half season fill-in or they bargain shop for the other rotation slots.

fortunately there are several decent candidates for the 2b carousel (bellylard, kennedy, loretta, durham, derosa). also, the bullpen is basically already taken care of. everyone is under contract and outside of izzy & loop everyone is pretty cheap.

i still think they need to rework the outfield. defensively you just cant afford to have duncan and encar man the corners at the same time. the rotation remains the chief priority and the outfield is probably going to have to wait until after 2007.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals