Dear Dear Leader, do you have any kneepads for us? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Dear Dear Leader, do you have any kneepads for us?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dear Dear Leader, do you have any kneepads for us?

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:49 am

I am infuriated that several of our pols have referred to Kim Jong Il as 'Dear Leader' or 'Great Leader'. What the hell is up with that!?!?!?!?! This inexcusable transgression can be viewed from 2 angles:

1) They have (unsurprisingly) shown their intestinal fortitude to be nil. These are titles that Il demands he be referred to on grounds of severe punishment otherwise. "Hi Mr. Il, I am a very important American person who is upset by your actions. I will talk tough about you, but clearly I am your bitch given the way I address you when you are not present." No balls, no surprise.

2) These aren't even official titles like 'President'. These are self-appointed titles by an extreme sociopath. Its like the kid in college kid who wanted to give himself a fresh start freshman year b/c he was a douche in high school. He's a skinny little weiner who gives himself his own nickname like Maddog or The Bulldog and expects everyone to call him that even though he's still a total d-bag and clearly has done nothing and never will do anything to justify his 'cool' nickname.

Am I in the wrong here? maybe i'm just really bitter b/c I have to start Joey Harrington this week in FFB...
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dear Dear Leader, do you have any kneepads for us?

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:59 am

RugbyD wrote:I am infuriated that several of our pols have referred to Kim Jong Il as 'Dear Leader' or 'Great Leader'. What the hell is up with that!?!?!?!?! This inexcusable transgression can be viewed from 2 angles:

1) They have (unsurprisingly) shown their intestinal fortitude to be nil. These are titles that Il demands he be referred to on grounds of severe punishment otherwise. "Hi Mr. Il, I am a very important American person who is upset by your actions. I will talk tough about you, but clearly I am your bitch given the way I address you when you are not present." No balls, no surprise.

2) These aren't even official titles like 'President'. These are self-appointed titles by an extreme sociopath. Its like the kid in college kid who wanted to give himself a fresh start freshman year b/c he was a douche in high school. He's a skinny little weiner who gives himself his own nickname like Maddog or The Bulldog and expects everyone to call him that even though he's still a total d-bag and clearly has done nothing and never will do anything to justify his 'cool' nickname.

Am I in the wrong here? maybe i'm just really bitter b/c I have to start Joey Harrington this week in FFB...

In North Korea, they have been living in an autocratic, communist, dictatorship society for over 50 years now. Their first president is literally their god and Kim Jong Il is their "son of god." The question everyone asks is, do the North Korean citizens buy all of the propaganda? Do they really see their leader as divine or do they just pretend to out of fear of persecution?

Hitler once said “The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.” Everything in North Korea is controlled by their government. North Koreans, on average, are 3 inches shorter than South Koreans. Malnutrition is rampant. Yet the citizens see their leader as infallible.

So there's no point in making sense out of it. It is how it is. The people either believe their government or they refuse to do anything about it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Coppermine wrote:
RugbyD wrote:I am infuriated that several of our pols have referred to Kim Jong Il as 'Dear Leader' or 'Great Leader'. What the hell is up with that!?!?!?!?! This inexcusable transgression can be viewed from 2 angles:

In North Korea, they have been living in an autocratic, communist, dictatorship society for over 50 years now. Their first president is literally their god and Kim Jong Il is their "son of god." The question everyone asks is, do the North Korean citizens buy all of the propaganda? Do they really see their leader as divine or do they just pretend to out of fear of persecution?

Hitler once said “The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.” Everything in North Korea is controlled by their government. North Koreans, on average, are 3 inches shorter than South Koreans. Malnutrition is rampant. Yet the citizens see their leader as infallible.

So there's no point in making sense out of it. It is how it is. The people either believe their government or they refuse to do anything about it.

I know why the locals call him that, but why do some of our politicians?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:20 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

I know why the locals call him that, but why do some of our politicians?

That's just his official title; it's assumed by him and it's ridiculous but we don't do it because we think he's a dear leader... it's simply the proper diplomatic title. Do you really think it would do much good if Bolton addressed the North Korean leader at the UN as "That A-Hole, Kim Jong Il"?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:That's just his official title; it's assumed by him and it's ridiculous but we don't do it because we think he's a dear leader... it's simply the proper diplomatic title. Do you really think it would do much good if Bolton addressed the North Korean leader at the UN as "That A-Hole, Kim Jong Il"?

It's simply a preposterous title that warrants no recognition given its origins. 'King' would certainly be more appropriate, regardless of what he would prefer.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Well, when you're working towards a goal concerning nuclear weapons, you tend to let semantics over titles slide. Better not to make that a point of contention for no reason other than pride.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 pm

It would have been great if world-leaders would have referred to Idi Amin by his self-appointed title when he was in power.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:It would have been great if world-leaders would have referred to Idi Amin by his self-appointed title when he was in power.

"His Excellency President for Life Field Marshal Al Hadji Dr. Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, King of Scotland, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

I had to look it up, but wow... what a title. Have you seen the movie about him? Looked pretty good, but I haven't heard much about it, being an Indie flick and all.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:It would have been great if world-leaders would have referred to Idi Amin by his self-appointed title when he was in power.

"His Excellency President for Life Field Marshal Al Hadji Dr. Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, King of Scotland, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

I had to look it up, but wow... what a title. Have you seen the movie about him? Looked pretty good, but I haven't heard much about it, being an Indie flick and all.

The Last King of Scotland. It got great reviews so far; I definitely want to see it.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:21 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

The Last King of Scotland. It got great reviews so far; I definitely want to see it.

91% on Rotten Tomatoes... Forest will likely be in the running for best actor as Amin. A nice improvement over his role in Battlefield Earth.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk