Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:46 am

you post that caus you made fun of acs??? but i could go for any kinda food righjtn ow.. man im hungry
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:02 pm

RyanK wrote:you post that caus you made fun of acs??? but i could go for any kinda food righjtn ow.. man im hungry

haha, oh yeah?

I haven't eaten at McDonalds since 2004 and I never will again. Join me! Rise up against our fast food aggressors!

I think i've gone off on McD's here at least a half dozen times so I'll quite for now.

And Mad, when i'm in the mood for fast and cheap... well, i agree. B-)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Support your local Sonic! ;-D
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:16 pm

RugbyD wrote:Support your local Sonic! ;-D

I've always wanted to go to a Sonic. I get their commercials... they're witty and feature lots of bacon and ciabatta bread. How can you go wrong?

I'm no where near one though, I think there might be one in southern Virginia, but it annoys me that the commercials I see for them is a ruse. I don't think I can justify driving 3 hours to eat at a Sonic.

All we have is stupid Sheetz; which is really just WaWa's bastard child.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:19 pm

Coppermine wrote:

I've always wanted to go to a Sonic. I get their commercials... they're witty and feature lots of bacon and ciabatta bread. How can you go wrong?

I'm no where near one though, I think there might be one in southern Virginia, but it annoys me that the commercials I see for them is a ruse. I don't think I can justify driving 3 hours to eat at a Sonic.

don't worry, they are gradually moving north and towards the coasts. Very well-run company, not to mention the food rocks. :-L
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:39 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

don't worry, they are gradually moving north and towards the coasts. Very well-run company, not to mention the food rocks. :-L

I don't think we have a Sonic in L.A. :-?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:06 pm

I tend to stay with In 'n' Out. For sure the best quality fast food I've ever had.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:34 pm

I would argue that McDonalds represents the very bottom of the fast food quality chain. Not just food quality either, but also service and facilities. For every sparkling, new McDonalds, there are 10 old, dirty, grimy, disgusting brown tile and plastic, child worn, kids peeing in the ballpit (and kicking Mayor McCheese in the ballpit), McD's that are making someone sick somewhere. The last time stepped foot in a McDonalds, about a year ago, I only wanted a cup of water (not bottled). They charged me $0.10.

Go to McDonalds and answer all of their questions before they ask; go ahead, walk in and say "I'll have a number 2, medium, with a coke, for here" and their heads will explode. Must--ask--in--order...

Wendy's and Burger King are only slightly better in my opinion and they both have their fair share of gross establishments with incompetent employees. Just not as badly as McD's. Burger King's burgers win in the taste department, but are so big, gross and covered in mayonnaise that their food is arguably worse for you. Some of the worst fast food experiences I've ever had were at a Wendy's... but I still go there and Burger King on very rare occasions, but refuse to go to McD's.

I think that Taco Bell offers some reasonable alternatives to their high-fat foods, and thankfully other than salad. You can get a chicken taco with pico de gallo which is tasty and not so bad for you. So Taco Bell is ok with me, just go easy on the chalupas.

I find Subway to be relatively gross, particularly compared to its high-brow cousin, Quizno's. Subway has lost a lot of market share to Quizno's in the past couple years and for good reason; as long as people are willing to pay for it, quality always beats quantity. Not that Subway offers either; I'm quite certain that all of their cold cuts were, at one time, a liquid. I'll have their chicken or meatball only. And no toasting, your sad attempt to copy Quizno's failed miserably.

Hardee's (or Carl's Jr) burgers are definitely fantastic for fast food. They really turned things around when they introduced the "Six Dollar Burger." Too bad no one I know goes to Hardees. Mostly because, about 10 years ago, their greasy food was about as gross as it gets.

I'm partial to Arby's melts because I like the whole roast beef with melted cheese like food product on an onion crown. I also like putting horseradish on sandwiches and Arby's makes that easy for me. Still, not very good for you, but they have an impressive selection of food items.

I'm just not all that into fried chicken so I don't have much of an opinion on places like KFC and Popeyes. In fact, we have Popeyes around here but I've never been to one. KFC seems like a place no one goes to, but still maintains some popularity. When they came out with their mashed potato-corn-chicken-cheese-and-gravy bowls, I just about threw up thinking about it.

Finally, there will always be a special place for me at White Castle. I love those greasy, little, oniony, sliders. I guess that's a regional thing; Harold and Kumar had the right idea though.

As for In and Out and Jack in the Box... don't have 'em around here but wish I did.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:42 pm

I tend to think there is a certain age where you realize that McDonald's is nothing but fluff, with uninspiring quality food, equally uninspiring atmosphere, and you realize you're made to believe that their burgers and fries are good because of the toy that comes with your happy meal. Yeah, by age 7 or 8, I realized McDonald's wasn't all that was cracked up to be. Happy meals hardly made kids full back in the day (at least I thought so) and with McDonald's fast food shrinking gradually over the years, well, you can imagine that McDonald's and the whole McDonald's experience just doesn't satisfy.

I haven't visited Wendy's that often just because in the L.A. area, you just don't find them as often as you do with Burger King, McDonald's, or Jack in the Box.

I'm not too keen about Burger King. Back in high school, as a senior privilege, you can only go off campus for one thing: to eat at the Burger King that's practically next door. Darn Catholic schools, but I digress. Surely, their burgers are a step up over McDonald's (I suppose because they're flame broiled and that's supposedly a big deal, a gigantic deal of differentiation), but I'm not crazy about BK's fries. Back then, the new BK fries came out, which promised that they would be hot off the fryer and crisper than other fries. For one thing, I'm not too crazy about my fries being too crispy and second, I don't like them too crispy to the extent that they become stuck with neighboring fries and become mushy!

I tend to think McDonald's fries are a little better than BK's because sometimes when they get it right, you have a variance of textures in the fries (and no, I don't mean biting into a severed finger every now and then), but remember when there were toy sets that replicated tools from a McDonald's restaurant? There's one in particular that made fries out of white bread (yeah, think Wonder Bread). I reckon they use the same exact contraption at McD's to make fries out of drywall or petrified wood. McD's fries are a tad better, but they're just dreadful especially when they're too flimsy in texture.

I think Carl's Jr. is great and the same can be said for Jack in the Box. You get what you pay for there. In-N-Out is king of the fast food burger joint in California, but it's too bad for you folks back East or in the Midwest because In-N-Out only stretches as far east as Nevada and Arizona. Makes me hungry for a Double-Double animal style with some fresh cut Animal Style fries, and a Neapolitan milk shake.

Arby's? I vaguely remember Arby's. I think I had only a couple of them when I was 8 or 9, but thought the roast beef was lacking in taste. Same with Subway. I've only been there a couple of times in my lifetime, but always leave unimpressed. I like the Mom and Pop sandwich sub shops/delis better, especially a Jewish deli where I get an honest-to-goodness Pastrami on Rye. Wonderful. I'm a fan of Quizno's and I like how it seems that they're popping up like a Starbucks on every other street corner.

Taco Bell, give me a break. I tend to think you're more likely to die from food poisoning at Taco Bell than fishing for piranhas. I like Baja Fresh. Now, there's a great Mexican fast food joint that makes high-quality, filling burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and the like.

I like fried chicken places to some extent, but I'll easily get bored with KFC and Popeye's. They're good every once in a while, but c'mon, it's just chicken, granted that both make a satisfying product. I do have a slight paranoia that KFC's chicken is made with squirrel fillers. Popeye's makes some awesome mashed potatoes and red rice and beans. It can be tricky to find an amazing cajun food spot in L.A. off hand (but they're there if you try hard enough to find one), but it's a good place for "Cajun Food for Dummies", I suppose.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Next

Return to General Talk