Miggy will reach elite status in 2007 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miggy will reach elite status in 2007

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:31 pm

ok, just to clarify.

breakout probably wasnt the right word. i was trying to say that i think miggy will reach super star status next year.

i think ill change the title
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:11 pm

He's a great player, indeed. But I don't know that I'd expect his average to go up 20 points and his HRs to go up by 10-15. I think he could hit more homers at the expense of his average, but I'm not sure that I'd expect both to rise significantly. Although if he gets dealt to a more hitter-friendly home park then I could definitely see his average staying near where it's at and his power spiking up... I guess we shall see, eh? :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:41 pm

"Although if he gets dealt to a more hitter-friendly home park then I could definitely see his average staying near where it's at and his power spiking up."

MCab actually hit much better at home this year than on the road. OPS over 100 points higher, in fact.

I'm one of the (apparently few) ppl who are not sold on MCab as a 40 HR hitter in the near term. He may reach that plateau at some point. But I'm not sure how or why anyone would predict that for 2007 other than just a hunch or wishful thinking. His power output actually regressed in 2006 from 33 HR the previous two years to 26 HR with more doubles.

His monthly splits in 2006 were remarkably consistent but he never hit more than 7 HR in a month (and he did that only once). His pre/post ASB stats are also very similar. He started the season exactly as he began. Very little in-season growth. This is not a case of a young player having a big second half that arguably established a new plateau (such as Holliday's big second half in 2005).

What then is the basis for thinking MCab will take a HUGE jump up to 40 HR next year while maintaining an elite BA?
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"Although if he gets dealt to a more hitter-friendly home park then I could definitely see his average staying near where it's at and his power spiking up."

MCab actually hit much better at home this year than on the road. OPS over 100 points higher, in fact.

I don't really think that means anything. Honestly, you're talking such small sample sizes at a bunch of parks that it's really meaningless. I'd expect a guy to hit better at home than on the road for the most part simply due to the fact that they're more comfortable there because they play half the season in that ballpark. You really don't think if MCab played for, say, Philly and was in that bandbox half a season he'd have more HRs? I certainly do...

I'm with you on the rest of it though. I wouldn't expect 40 HRs by any means.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:36 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Seriously if I had to pick someone right now that I expect to rocket up the rankings I would go with Baldelli. But there is a lot of time until the beginning of the 2007 season.

;-D - and I'm still mad at AA for outbidding me last yr. in the Auction Dynasty league!
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:44 am

I considered Mcab elite this year, as he was the best 3rd basemen in MLB this year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:15 am

"Seriously if I had to pick someone right now that I expect to rocket up the rankings I would go with Baldelli. But there is a lot of time until the beginning of the 2007 season."

He could end up as a poor man's Delmon ;-D
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Miggy already is elite. Just because he's not jacking 40 HRs yet does not mean he is not elite.

He is a young Hank Aaron. Barring any catastrophic failures, he will be one of the best hitters in our era.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/ ... =23&age=23
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby orange12 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:38 pm

Interesting discussion. But talk is cheap after all, and using subjective words like "elite" doesn't mean much fantasy-wise. Time for everyone to put their money where their mouths are. If a keeper league was started today, are you willing to drafting Miggy ahead of Santana? Ahead of Pujols?
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:01 pm

orange12 wrote:Interesting discussion. But talk is cheap after all, and using subjective words like "elite" doesn't mean much fantasy-wise. Time for everyone to put their money where their mouths are. If a keeper league was started today, are you willing to drafting Miggy ahead of Santana? Ahead of Pujols?

Not in front of Pujols but maybe Santana... In a keeper league, he is a top 3-5 player.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers