Which Championship Had the Greater Underdog? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which Championship Had the Greater Underdog?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Championship Game Features(d) the Greatest Underdog?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 am

2002 Super Bowl: Rams vs. Patriots
92%
2006 World Series: Tigers vs. Cardinals
8%

Total votes : 26

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:06 am

Based on those two choices, I'd say the Pats.

Now, had the Yankees prevailed, public perception might have pushed the Cards to the front. But since Detroit was given little chance at the start of the year, and based on how they finished 19-31, I don't think as many would be as surprised to see STL win here.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby tal1286 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:20 am

I had the Pats in that game. Maybe it's cause I was young and stupid at that point, like 15 years old, and I also have a tendancy to think the teams I want to win are going to but you looked at it and, yeah, they were huge underdogs but what really convinced me was when they got introduced as a team before the game. I was just like, wow, they're gonna win, period.

As for upsets, if you're gonna have a discussion you have to include the 1980 miracle on ice. That was the biggest upset by a mile. Remember the Soviets had beaten the US team by 8 or 9 or something like that earlier that season.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:30 pm

The Patriots of the '02 Super Bowl. Easily. I remember I lost a bet with a friend who had the cajones to roll the dice on the Pats for $300. The Rams really weren't the same after that Super Bowl. From '99-'01, they sported an offense that most coaches, reporters, and commentators touted as unstoppable, "The Greatest Show on Turf", where they had co-MVP-type players in Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk leading the way. Stupid Rams defense. I reckon they were taking it easy on the Pats' drive that led to the Vinatieri game-winning FG, thinking the Pats would be conservative enough to take the game to OT. In relative comparison with the Patriots of '01, the Cards most definitely have a shot to take the Series.

But if we're taking into account of all the upsets in history, the king of all upsets had to be the 1980 Miracle on Ice. As a Loyola Marymount grad, I have to believe that the 1989 Elite Eight run, on the same year that Hank Gathers past away in, if LMU got past UNLV to get into the Final Four, take the last two games to capture the National title, that would've been the greatest feel-good story and greatest Cinderella story in the history of sports.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 am

Had to go with the Pats.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:42 am

Who is the "underdog" here the Cards or Tigers? Becaue they seem pretty even for the main part.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:55 am

I really don't see the Tigers or the Cards as the Favorites. The media is stupid as usual and is riding the hot streak
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Old_Style » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:I really don't see the Tigers or the Cards as the Favorites. The media is stupid as usual and is riding the hot streak

i agree..both seem like underdogs to me. wasn't this supposed to be subway series part 2?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Old_Style wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I really don't see the Tigers or the Cards as the Favorites. The media is stupid as usual and is riding the hot streak

i agree..both seem like underdogs to me. wasn't this supposed to be subway series part 2?

Well I still think the Yankees are gonna win it no matter how it turns out
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers