Which Championship Had the Greater Underdog? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which Championship Had the Greater Underdog?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Championship Game Features(d) the Greatest Underdog?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 am

2002 Super Bowl: Rams vs. Patriots
92%
2006 World Series: Tigers vs. Cardinals
8%

Total votes : 26

Which Championship Had the Greater Underdog?

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 am

When the Pats beat the Rams for their first of many Super Bowl titles, they were one of the largest underdogs in recent memory. The way this Cards/Tigers World Series is shaping up feels, to me, to be in that same realms of disparity. What do you think?

Oh, and try to remember that the Patriots actually did suck at one time in the very recent past. Hard to imagine, I know, but it was a reality.

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:48 am

Nobody gave the Pats a chance.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Trot Nixon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:53 am

Oh man, the Pats by FAR! The Cards have Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Carpenter...any one of them could carry that team any given day. The Pats had a little known 6th rounder named Tom Brady as their QB, against "The greatest show on turf" and the most talented team in the league. Without hesitation, I say the Pats were the biggest underdog
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 pm

The Patriots by a bunch. The Rams were the team at that time that nobody could stop and the Patriots were just a bunch of over achievers that would not be able to stop the mighty Rams offense. I don't think anybody predicted a Patriots win in that game much less for it to even be close. The Cardinals definitely have a shot in this series.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daullaz » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:19 pm

Definitely the Pats. I actually think the Cards will take this series in seven.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:28 pm

Definately the Pats. Not too many people could name anyone on their offense going into the year. Brady wasn't even the starter at the beginning, and he hurt his ankle in the AFC Championship game. I remember wanting Bledsoe to start the Super Bowl. :-B The Rams were favored by like 17 or something ridiculous. The introductions were amazing though. The Rams have their unstoppable offense announced individually while the Pats come out as a group. I'm getting off topic. I do think that people should give the Cards more of a chance though. We've seen time and time again that when teams are "supposed" to have no trouble with another team, it doesn't always work out.

Not only the Rams and Pats, but going in to the Rose Bowl last year not many gave Texas a shot.

I find it interesting that most Cards fans were probably on the other side of this for that Super Bowl, while I'm on the underdog side both times. :-B
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Based on Vegas numbers, it's the Pats. Tigers are something like -220 to take the WS. Based on the line from that Super Bowl (which was somewhere in the -14 to -17) range, the money line on the Rams would have been worse than -220....probably closer to -400 honestly, although I can't verify that because my facist employer has decided to ban internet access to all sports betting sites.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:13 pm

pats by far. that was an incredible game.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BritSox » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:44 pm

raiders_umpire wrote: I don't think anybody predicted a Patriots win in that game much less for it to even be close. The Cardinals definitely have a shot in this series.

I did. Of course, I had been drinking.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby mikekim2121 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:42 pm

mak1277 wrote:Based on Vegas numbers, it's the Pats.

I agree thats probably one of the most reliable ways to determine who the bigger underdog was.

I think the spread was around 14 points. 2 TD's is a very big time spread in an NFL game.

To put that into perspective, there isn't a single team this week that is more than a 9.5 point favorite.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers