How solid is Putz's closing gig in Seattle? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How solid is Putz's closing gig in Seattle?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How solid is Putz's closing gig in Seattle?

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:13 am

He had a monster year this year but I'm curious if anyone has any insights. Was he well regarded in the minors? Does this dominance seem more like a fluke? Help is greatly appreciated.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:17 pm

He seemed to have put everything together this season. I have to admit that I was shocked by his performance.

That being said, closer being such a volatile position, I wouldn't bank on him to repeat. Not saying he absolutely won't be dominant but I refuse to pay for him next year based on 06.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:17 pm

I think he's got a good grip on the job. He might get moved at the trade deadline, so Soriano can take over.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:53 pm

I think he is a above average choice, around the 10 RP choice going into 2007.

He doubled is K/9 last year over 2005 and 2004 as he developed a split finger fastball to go with his 95 MPH 2 seamer.

Also, the heir apparent if Putz faultered his Rafael Soriano, who was drilled by Vladdy Guerrero in the head 2 weeks before the season ended. I was watching that on TV I thought I had just witnessed the first picther ever to be killed by a line drive in the majors. It was horrible. So, you got to wonder about Soriano's future, even though he is supposedly OK.

A long winded answer to why Putz is safe and above average choice for RP.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:02 pm

I think he's safe as the closer. With Soriano being more inconsistent than Putz, as well as having such big potential, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the M's deal Sori for offense. I guess time will tell, but I don't think you have to worry too much about Putz losing the job.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:14 pm

I personally think Putz will be the biggets closer bust of 2007 as of right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I personally think Putz will be the biggets closer bust of 2007 as of right now.

May I ask why? He's got great stuff and good control. It's not like all of the sudden guys are going to start catching up to the 99 MPH fastball... Not to mention he's got a pretty good curve as well, so it's not like he's a one-pitch pitcher...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I personally think Putz will be the biggets closer bust of 2007 as of right now.

May I ask why? He's got great stuff and good control. It's not like all of the sudden guys are going to start catching up to the 99 MPH fastball... Not to mention he's got a pretty good curve as well, so it's not like he's a one-pitch pitcher...

I just think the league will catch up to him next year. I think he had career year in 2006 and I predict a regression to a lossof the closers job sometime in 2007. Just a hunch.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:39 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

I just think the league will catch up to him next year. I think he had career year in 2006 and I predict a regression to a lossof the closers job sometime in 2007. Just a hunch.

You sound like me talkin. I go with hunches all the time. I personally think his job is secure, and that is a hunch, but he also is pretty solid IMO.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:36 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

I think that with Putz is more of a case of him getting better than of him having a career year only to have the league catch up to him in 07. Putz has been on the league for 4 years now, unlike a guy such as Takatsu who came over and did very well for a year then blew up the following year. Well, Takatsu might not be the best guy we can use as a comparison cuz they are pretty different pitchers, but it's tough to predict a huge drop off for a guy who has been relatively successful for 2 full MLB seasons and then puts up 104Ks and only 13BBs for the entire year. That tells me he had great command and unless he completely loses it, he will keep striking guys out. Combined with the fact that he doesn't give up many home runs, you got a pretty good closer.

I did not see this coming, but I think Putz was impressive enough this year to have his job secure for 07. Soriano was pretty good too and we know he also has great stuff. If anything happens to Putz, Soriano will probably do a pretty good job as the closer. I'd look for Putz to keep up the good numbers next year.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers