Bitter, party of one. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bitter, party of one.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:37 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Keith law is smart and I like that he points out the negative. But more times than not I read him and he comes off like a bitter, grumpy old man.

You're right about that. It's possible that I'm entertained by him because that bitter, grumpy attitude is the way I feel most of the time too ;-D

Plus, I like that he rips on the Cardinals...that by itself makes me smile and I'm not at all ashamed to admit it!
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:38 am

mak1277 wrote:You're right about that. It's possible that I'm entertained by him because that bitter, grumpy attitude is the way I feel most of the time too ;-D
Everyone has different tastes. I perfer snarky to bitter personally. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:29 am

mak1277 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Keith law is smart and I like that he points out the negative. But more times than not I read him and he comes off like a bitter, grumpy old man.

You're right about that. It's possible that I'm entertained by him because that bitter, grumpy attitude is the way I feel most of the time too ;-D

I wonder if Kieth Law is actually TV's House.

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby 405z06 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:54 pm

2 things:

1) Mr Law is obviously not pleased that the Redbirds are in the series. It would make it all that much sweeter if we can pull another upset ;-)

2) It has become a pet peave of mine when people b*tch about ESPN INsider. It costs less than a 12-pack of PBR, you get the magazine (which I enjoy), and I always play my fantasy through ESPN, so I like the "inside" info all in one conveneint place.

I don't know why it pisses people off that they charge a premium (a very small premium) for what they consider premium content. It's either worth the money in your eyes, or it's not. If you decide it's not worth it, vote with your wallet, but why get upset?
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:07 am

Well, he's already chimed in on Game One. The Tigers weren't good, the ump helped out, and Duncan got lucky. Oh, and pitching to Pujols with an open base was the right move. I kid you not. Read it for yourself.

Anthony Reyes pitches the game of his life (so far, at least), and the Tigers show their inexperience as the Cardinals win a laugher.

After a shaky first two innings, Reyes morphed into a strike-throwing machine once the Cardinals gave him a little breathing room. He was trying to work off his changeup his first time through the Tigers' order, a bizarre approach for any pitcher not named Jamie Moyer (or Doug Jones, I suppose). But in the bottom of the third, he went to the traditional approach of pitching off his fastball, spotting it extremely well for the next six innings, working on the outside corner early in the count and coming inside with either his fastball or breaking ball if he got ahead, with only the occasional changeup to finish a hitter off.

Tigers starter Justin Verlander had sharper secondary stuff than he'd had in his two earlier starts, but continued to have trouble with command that cost him, particularly in his last inning. He had a good pitching plan, but didn't execute as consistently as Reyes did, hanging a two-out, 2-1 changeup to Chris Duncan (who swung and missed at roughly 183 changeups Saturday night, but hit the one hanger he saw) that knocked one run in and led to two more when Albert Pujols came up and murdered a slightly misplaced fastball, crushing it to deep right.

Verlander unraveled along with the game in the sixth, when Detroit handed the Cardinals three gift runs through their own miscues. Verlander was obsessed with runners on first base all night; throwing over to check on Pujols, who has a gimpy hamstring, and is no burner at his best, is pointless. His throwing error put Pujols on third, and he scored when Jim Edmonds was given a fourth strike by the third-base ump and capitalized with a base hit. After Scott Rolen's ground-rule double, the Tigers got the groundball they wanted, hit to the right guy, slick-fielding third baseman Brandon Inge, who bobbled it, then made a terrible decision to come home anyway, throwing the ball several feet wide of the plate, which allowed Rolen to come home after Edmonds. Once Inge bobbled the ball, making the play at the plate was out of the question; he probably should have gone to first, although he had a chance to tag Rolen out behind him as well. That sequence of events, with just two hard-hit balls by the Cardinals, meant three runs and the ballgame.

The Tigers' decision not to intentionally walk Pujols in the third inning (with first base open) will be second-guessed from here to eternity if the Tigers lose the series. I was comfortable with that decision; it was early in the game, and you don't want to put Verlander into a situation where he's got two on and is facing the Cards' best left-handed hitter, especially when you're already down a run and Verlander had struck Pujols out in the first inning. The homer hurt, but it wasn't the reason the Tigers lost.

Detroit's hitters deserve their share of blame as well; for the first time since the regular season ended, we saw some bad hacks from Detroit hitters, including some very lackadaisical at-bats and swings in the seventh and eighth innings. If this Tigers offense has reverted to its September form -- impatient, fastball-happy and unwilling to force pitchers into hitters' counts -- the Cardinals will turn all predictions of easy Detroit victories on their heads.

Tony La Russa went against the current book by leaving Reyes in through the start of the ninth inning, which was the right decision for both this game and for the rest of the series. Reyes threw just 90 pitches, and by leaving him out there until the Craig Monroe homer in the ninth, La Russa avoided using any of his four best relievers in a rout, meaning that none of them will be pitching on less than three full days of rest on Sunday.

The decision didn't affect the outcome of this game, but Jim Leyland's bizarre inclusion of Sean Casey on his World Series roster is worth a mention. Casey is Jose Valentin's bat with Cliff Floyd's legs. If nothing else, Leyland should have learned from watching how the Mets' decision to carry Floyd on their NLCS roster destroyed their flexibility when he turned out to be nothing more than a pinch-hitter, and a weak one at that. Even if Casey's at 100 percent, he's not a good enough player to run the risk that he aggravates the calf injury or blows it out entirely, which would leave Leyland with no good pinch-hitting options on his bench.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:25 am

405z06 wrote:2) It has become a pet peave of mine when people b*tch about ESPN INsider. It costs less than a 12-pack of PBR, you get the magazine (which I enjoy), and I always play my fantasy through ESPN, so I like the "inside" info all in one conveneint place.

I don't know why it pisses people off that they charge a premium (a very small premium) for what they consider premium content. It's either worth the money in your eyes, or it's not. If you decide it's not worth it, vote with your wallet, but why get upset?

I agree. Its not the best site around, especially for fantasy but its still ok to just have as much info/resources as possible. Over half of useful baseball resources charge extra for the premium content so why is there such commotion over this one?
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:44 am

Laugher?

Duncan crushed the hanger huh? It is so unusual for a hitter to capitalize on a pitcher's mistake. ;-)

Edmonds did get get a gift call but anytime to walk the lead-off hitter, give up a double and make 3 errors in an inning you are going to be in trouble.

I do agree with the Tigers need to show more patience. But I don't see any reason to expect the more patient offense from the 1st and 2nd round of the playoffs any more than I'd expect to see the impatient offense from the regular season.

No idea what Verlander's deal with runner's on were. I doubt there are many SB attempts on either side.

No idea why Casey is on the roster either.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:59 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:No idea what Verlander's deal with runner's on were. I doubt there are many SB attempts on either side.

I thought they were actually going for the pick-off. Juan's a pretty lazy baserunner, so it seemed like a good notion to me until they threw over on Pujols. That one I don't get at all.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mak1277 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:25 am

JTWood wrote:Well, he's already chimed in on Game One. The Tigers weren't good, the ump helped out, and Duncan got lucky. Oh, and pitching to Pujols with an open base was the right move. I kid you not. Read it for yourself.

Well, were the Tigers good? Didn't the ump help out?

I mean, the first 1/3 of his article was praising Reyes and the last bit was praising LaRussa.

I'll ask again, what part of the article is blatantly inaccurate?

You guys need to get over it. Or learn how to read what's actually written, and not what you want to see on the screen.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:41 pm

I just wanted to mention that I caught Keith Law's chat yesterday and it was quite good. Some really good baseball talk and he actually managed to come of personable. He still flashed the arrogance at times but I'm OK with that cause he actually seemed to enjoy talking about baseball unlike his other stuff I had read. Maybe it was just the few articles that of his that I came across. Anyone else that reads him consistanly want to comment?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers