Bitter, party of one. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bitter, party of one.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bitter, party of one.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:13 pm

I just shead a tear for Keith Law. :~(

The Mets paid the ultimate price for their inability to get the Cardinals' worst hitter out, and the National League's best team was toppled by its sixth- or seventh-best team, giving us Fox's worst nightmare of a World Series -- and a pretty sizable mismatch to boot.
Yadier Molina is a terrible hitter who had his Brian Doyle moment, fluking into a good series and hitting the series-clinching homer on a hanging changeup from Aaron Heilman in the ninth inning. The Mets had been challenging him with fastballs, perhaps knowing how weak he is, and he made one adjustment, just trying to make contact even if it usually meant going the other way, and a larger-than-expected number of his hits fell in. Thursday, Heilman decided to go to the changeup, a mistake given Molina's lack of bat speed and Heilman's velocity; pounding Molina hard in and going away with the changeup once ahead in the count is the best way to pitch to him. Still, if Heilman didn't hang the changeup, Molina probably would've missed the pitch entirely.

Jeff Suppan wasn't as sharp as he was in Game 3, but he stayed out of the middle of the plate and forced the Mets hitters to choose between waiting him out or swinging at pitches that were very difficult to drive. They chose the latter, letting Suppan off the hook despite his four unintentional walks and a hit batsman. Suppan was also able to work mostly off of his fastball-cutter-change combo, keeping his curve -- which had good depth Thursday -- as more of an occasional pitch to use to try to get a strikeout in a critical situation.

The Cardinals' bullpen did outstanding work yet again. Randy Flores not only did his assigned job of getting Carlos Delgado out in the eighth inning (on a couple of big-breaking sliders), but he also struck out right-handed-hitting David Wright before getting Shawn Green to ground out to first base to end the eighth. People will talk about Suppan's performance, but Flores retiring two of the Mets' three best hitters with the third already on first base was the pitching performance of the night.

Adam Wainwright did a bit of a Billy Wagner (or Todd Jones) impression in the ninth, but he was nails in striking out both Cliff Floyd and Carlos Beltran looking. Wainwright froze Floyd with his plus curveball; with Floyd just sitting on the fastball, it was almost a foregone conclusion that he'd try to put him away with a two-strike curveball, and he ran a big risk when he went with a 1-2 fastball up. (It's worth mentioning that strike two on Floyd, while technically a strike, was about six inches above the top of the de facto strike zone. It's pretty awful to suddenly call that pitch a strike in the ninth inning of Game 7 and is yet another instance of the Heisenberg Strike Zone affecting a game.) Wainwright then did the near-impossible by walking Paul Lo Duca -- who'd been averaging 0.8 pitches per plate appearance in the series -- but then froze Beltran on another curve, one that just about everyone knew was coming and that still managed to turn Beltran into a $17 million-a-year statue.

The critical decision for the Mets came in the sixth inning, when Willie Randolph let the struggling Jose Valentin bat in a bases-loaded, one-out situation with the game tied. Scott Rolen threw a routine groundball into the stands, creating a second-and-third, one-out situation. The Cardinals walked Green -- is there a greater sign of disrespect in baseball than having someone walk Shawn Green to face you? -- to bring Valentin to the plate, and he hacked at a couple balls in the dirt like he was trying to dig them out of a sandtrap. The Mets should have pinch-hit for him, although their bench has been limited all series because they chose to carry Floyd on the roster.

There were a few other head-scratchers from the Mets. In the bottom of the fifth, shortly after Fox showed a graphic pointing out that 43 percent of hitters who reach with no outs end up scoring (one of the most informative graphics you'll ever see on a baseball telecast, by the way), the Mets let Oliver Perez -- who had thrown five innings and only given up one run -- lead off the inning. It was a colossal mistake, because Perez was an automatic out, whereas even the worst pinch-hitting option (Anderson Hernandez) had at least a fighting chance to reach base. Perez had given the Mets good results to that point, but he'd also been doing a salamander dance in and around the fire all night and was leaving way too many balls over the plate, including very hittable 0-2 pitches to Molina (in the second inning) and Ronnie Belliard (in the fifth). It's Oliver Perez, not Pedro Martinez. He should've been taken out for the pinch-hitter there.

It's clear that leaving Perez in to face Rolen was also a mistake, one that only a Web Gem from Endy Chavez could erase. Neither Chad Bradford nor Heilman pitched poorly, and the Mets should absolutely win any game when they only give up three runs. The reality of the NLCS is that the league's best offense really didn't show up, and only some of the credit can go to the Cardinals' pitchers, many of whom were mediocre at best during the regular season. Wright was AWOL. Lo Duca approached his at-bats like he was double-parked outside Shea Stadium. Valentin and Green both looked like players who should be contemplating retirement this winter. You can't win a series when that many of your hitters underperform unless your pitchers are close to perfect; the Cardinals pitchers were, and the Mets pitchers weren't.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 460)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bitter, party of one.

Postby bigken117 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:23 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I just shead a tear for Keith Law. :~(

Good read. That is Insider material, but it's not my job to enforce that B-)

I heard the Cubs were looking to add Law to their front office, and JP would gave Hendry a bad reference so they decided against it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:25 pm

Well, I'm pleased to find that this guy's biggest complaints were about the lack of bench depth and the bottom-of-the-order hitters, which have pretty much always been the weak spots of this team. He also complained that Paul LoDuca acted like Paul LoDuca ("Lo Duca approached his at-bats like he was double-parked outside Shea Stadium.")

Wright being punchless is really the only thing that went unexpectedly for the Mets in this series, unless you include Maine and Perez pitching extremely well.

Frankly, I'd be optimistic going into next year if I was a NYM fan.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:27 pm

bigken117 wrote:Good read. That is Insider material, but it's not my job to enforce that B-)
Insider stuff is free on ESPN.com today. Check it out.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 460)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Good read. That is Insider material, but it's not my job to enforce that B-)

D'oh, and here I am paying for Insider year round...

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:30 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

is espn insider worth the money?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Old_Style wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

is espn insider worth the money?

Technically I subscribe to the magazine and Insider comes free with that.

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Hmm sounds familiar I believe i said that immediately after he threw it

The Mets had been challenging him with fastballs, perhaps knowing how weak he is, and he made one adjustment, just trying to make contact even if it usually meant going the other way, and a larger-than-expected number of his hits fell in. Thursday, Heilman decided to go to the changeup, a mistake given Molina's lack of bat speed and Heilman's velocity; pounding Molina hard in and going away with the changeup once ahead in the count is the best way to pitch to him. Still, if Heilman didn't hang the changeup, Molina probably would've missed the pitch entirely.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:41 pm

I opened this thread expecting it to be targeted towards BitterDodgerFan, who said that the NLCS was "inferior" baseball and wasn't nearly as good to watch.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:48 pm

ESPN Insider is such a ripoff scam. It pisses me off every time I think about how ESPN.com charges a monthly fee for the "privilege" of reading their sportswriters opinions on the blatantly obvious. That article didn't tell me a single thing I didn't know; it was an interesting read and I did enjoy it, but how much does that cost? Is it worth it? If you have a subscription to ESPN's oversized and awkwardly shaped, long-winded and dreadfully boring magazine, do you get insider material? No. If you're one of those people who sits at home all day long just watching the ticker go by on ESPNNEWS, listening to the same SportsCenter rebroadcast over and over and over talking endlessly about Kobe, A-Rod or TO (depending on time of year), is the Insider worth it to you? What about paying $80 a month for the stupid phone service, do you get "insider material?"

Screw ESPN... if I had INsider, I'd repost every article on a website just for the matter of principle and show people what they're missing...... nothing.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers