Carlos Beltran in the winter of 2006/2007 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Beltran in the winter of 2006/2007

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:11 am

I can't see how you can blame Beltran for this series loss. He played great the entire series. Yes he made the final out, but he more then pulled his share this series. The Mets biggest fault this series was getting some hits with runners on base. The Cards did a great job of holding the Mets to low scoring innings even though the Mets had several chances during the series to have the big inning. Beltran if for some reason New York runs you out of town ;-7 , I imagine 29 other teams would jump at the chance to get you. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:58 am

TheYanks04 wrote:And still the precious Leftovers forums only seems to be policed against Yankee fans posting stuff that belongs in others place according to the powers that be. How selective things are here.

Interesting observation seeing as how you haven't spoken to the powers that be, and you didn't bother to blue card this thread since you think a Beltran discussion is out of place.

Your buddy Arod has more threads in Leftovers than probably any other player, and those didn't get moved either......
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:32 am

I hope Beltran is a Met for the 5 years he has left on his contract at the very least.

As a Mets fan, I have no ill will towards him for striking out. No will towards Heilman either, or Willie for leaving him in. The player I'm most frustrated with was Wagner, but I'm sure I'll get over that too.

The best part of the Mets going down like they did is the simple fact that Maine and Ollie will be part of the rotation next year.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:33 am

I'm sorry but if you are blaming Beltran you should probably go watch soccer.

Again here are the pitches.

1. Inside changeup: Great pitch to start off a batter on because if he is swinging first pitch he is gearing up for a fastball.

2. Nasty nasty inside curveball

3. Insanely nasty curveball knee high 12-6 on the outside corner.

Maybee they didn't throw curveballs when you played your one year of coach pitch baseball.

Those three pitches by Wainwright were absolutley perfect. The only one Beltran had a chance on was the changeup and only if he recognized it as a first pitch 83 mph changeup which is not easy to do.

This went 7 games and you guys are casting blame like the mets just got swept.

If I had to guess why the mets lost its because Lo Duca called a bad pitch to a light hitting catcher.

You don't thow a Changeup to a catcher who had 6 hr's in the regular season. Obviously he isn't a great hitter which probably means he has a slower then usual bat. So by throwing the changeup you are allowing him to hit a pitch that to him is more like a hittable fastball then a confusing changeup.

Bad pitch thats it. Wagner sucked the whole playoffs so seeing Hielman in wasn't bad. It was just a bad pitch. Thats it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:38 pm

My initial post was not a slight at Beltran. Just making a point that he will not have a good offseason as he ended the series in about one minute with a meek called strike three. One would have expected more of a fight (read: swing) out of him.

To get out like that is unshakeable. A complete mindnumbing way to get out. Had he lined out it would have been ok. A smash gounder to 3B for a force out...no problem. A rib-ripping swing and a miss....whew!

But to keep the bat on the shoulder like that?

!+)
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:56 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:My initial post was not a slight at Beltran. Just making a point that he will not have a good offseason as he ended the series in about one minute with a meek called strike three. One would have expected more of a fight (read: swing) out of him.

To get out like that is unshakeable. A complete mindnumbing way to get out. Had he lined out it would have been ok. A smash gounder to 3B for a force out...no problem. A rib-ripping swing and a miss....whew!

!+)

Right but that pitch would freeze most everyone
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Y`s Guy wrote:My initial post was not a slight at Beltran. Just making a point that he will not have a good offseason as he ended the series in about one minute with a meek called strike three. One would have expected more of a fight (read: swing) out of him.

!+)

Right but that pitch would freeze most everyone

I agree with all this; but a swing still would have been nice. That was a perfect pitch and a killer curve ball, but I think (contrary to Mr. McCarver's thinking) that there might be one or two left-handed hitters in baseball who COULD have hit that pitch. I'm guessing one of them is Andy Van Slyke.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:16 pm

I don't think anybody was blaming Beltran for the Mets' loss. But for him, it's a tough way to go into the off-season. He has to think about striking out looking to end the season for 6 months, especially in a clutch spot like that... He's not going to like having to think about that for 6 months. It might motivate him though and make him even better next year.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:16 pm

Its a tough way to go out but its not like your brain can just swing the bat.

You also don't wanna sing at a bad pitch. With the amount of break on that pitch and the amount of surprise as well he may have been caught off guard.

He probably needed to protect but on 0-2 usually the pitcher wastes a pitch and Wainwright wasn't throwing that well.

His 3 best pitches were all to Beltran in a row
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:52 pm

acsguitar wrote:Its a tough way to go out but its not like your brain can just swing the bat.

You also don't wanna sing at a bad pitch. With the amount of break on that pitch and the amount of surprise as well he may have been caught off guard.

He probably needed to protect but on 0-2 usually the pitcher wastes a pitch and Wainwright wasn't throwing that well.

His 3 best pitches were all to Beltran in a row

Yeah, but I think it was pretty obvious that a patented 0-2 Wainwright curve ball was on the way... it was just such a great curveball, from his perspective it probably looked like it was going to end up 6 feet above the strike zone.

Hitting those numbered tennis balls didn't help him much there though. I don't blame Beltran though; I blame Willie... Cliff Floyd to hit a home run in a textbook bunt situation? C'mon!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers