Sanitary Socks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sanitary Socks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:14 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Alright, forget it... McCarver is only the most ridiculed color commentator in all of sports but we can just ignore my desperate and feeble attempts at humor.

I'm such a nitpicker; someone better lock this thread before it turns to politics.

the most ridiculed color man out there eh? we should make that a poll.

It's not really a matter of personal perception; I've read enough sportswriters' articles to know that he gets quite a bit of criticism. It's probably not all justified, but I was just making a joke anyway and now we want to make it into a poll and discussion about "whether or not it's funny." Who cares?

If you type "mccarver" into a googe search, your first hit is: http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/

The website even features a clip from "Family Guy" ridiculing McCarver... I'm sure you don't find Family Guy funny though.

Another website titles AmIAnnoying.com features a poll of whether or not Tim McCarver is annoying. It offers the following justifications:

Why he might be annoying

He likes to over explain things. (What we mean is that he likes to explain things in much more detail than he has to. Like, let's say someone hits the ball into a double play. He would say the double play occurred because the defense got both players out in time by controlling the ball and stepping on the bases quicker than their opposition).
He over criticized many ball players to the point where Deion Sanders emptied a huge bucket of liquid onto his head.

Why he might not be annoying

He usually has good insights.
His nickname is buckethead.

Of 795 votes as of today, 76% of people find him annoying.

And finally, these are just some general discussions on McCarver as an analyst....

Players

McCarver has not been above controversy. During the 1992 National League Championship Series, he criticized Deion Sanders for playing both football and baseball on the same day. For his criticism, Sanders dumped a bucket of water on McCarver while he was covering the National League pennant winning Atlanta Braves' clubhouse celebration for CBS. Some observers remarked that McCarver himself worked under two contracts, his local announcing gig and his national deal, and that there were times when his broadcasting assignments conflicted. In 2004, he was criticized by Roger Clemens over the rehashing of a bat throwing incident four years earlier.

Umpires

In Game 4 of the 1997 ALCS, on a wild pitch with runners dashing around the bases, when umpire Durwood Merrill gestured to where the ball was, McCarver sarcastically commented that "maybe he was trying to tell himself where the ball is!" Merrill heard about that, took offense to it, and fired back in his autobiography that he was letting the other umpires know that the situation was under control.

Stating the Obvious

A regular "Whiner Line" personality on WEEI's Big Show in Boston spoofs McCarver, with his schtick being a reference to McCarver's alleged tendency to accentuate the obvious aspects of baseball when providing color commentary to nationally broadcast games.

Overanalyzing

McCarver has been criticized and/or accused of frequently being slow and confusing during his commentatary. Some critics argue that McCarver is quick to grab on to an idea, and slow to let it go, even when obviously wrong. This was examined on an episode of the Fox animated television series Family Guy. In a cut-away gag, McCarver was shown saying

"In my view as good as the Yankees were in the first half of this game, that's how as bad they have been now. "

During the 1992 postseason (when McCarver worked for CBS), Norman Chad criticized McCarver in Sports Illustrated by saying that he's someone who "when you ask him the time, will tell you how a watch works." Chad's critique of McCarver was a reference to McCarver's supposed habit of overanalyzing. Chad went further by saying

"What's the difference between Tim McCarver and appendicitis? Appendicitis is covered by most health plans. "

Verbal Gaffes

McCarver has been known to make gaffes from time to time. One of his more amusing miscues came during the 1992 National League Championship Series when he repeatedly referred to Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Tim Wakefield as "Bill Wakefield." He finally explained that Bill Wakefield was one of his old minor-league teammates, and he laughed at himself because "I forgot my own name!" He also has been known to refer to current Cincinnati Reds and former Boston Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo as "Brandon" Arroyo. Also, in a discussion of 2005 NL MVP he called Albert Pujols "Luis Pujols." During the 2006 NLCS, McCarver called him Luis Pujols again and was told this by Joe Buck and said, "I did it again!" During the 2006 ALDS, McCarver referred to Detroit Tigers pitcher Nate Robertson as "Dave" Robertson; and Curtis Granderson as Curtis "Ganderman".

While commentating on the 2006 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, McCarver described a fastball from Brad Penny by saying

"A Mark Wahlberg fastball. Catch me if you can!"

McCarver seemed to forget that Leonardo DiCaprio starred in the movie Catch Me If You Can, not Mark Wahlberg. It is possible that McCarver was referencing former Atlanta Braves pitcher Mark Wohlers, who is credited as throwing a pitch at 103 mph.

At a game in Fenway Park, just after seats had been added above the Green Monster, a ball hit off the top of the wall leading McCarver to comment that before the seats, the ball would have been a home run because of the net. In reality, the net was above and behind the wall, and did not hang over the top of the Monster.

Why am I bothering with this? Just to make the point that you guys have no sense of humor; whether it's funny or not, you don't get the fact that I'm not being serious.

It's certainly a bore-fest if I have to explain it.

And finally, I brought up the fact that McCarver mentioned sanitary socks not because I wanted this to become a McCarver bashing thread, but that I thought the discussion might be interesting to people who didn't know why they were called that.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:41 am

I agree with Coppermine, that the guy is the most ridiculed color guy for a reason. If he's such a good commentator, then why are there so many sites against him, and why do so many people talk about how bad he is?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Alright, forget it... McCarver is only the most ridiculed color commentator in all of sports but we can just ignore my desperate and feeble attempts at humor.

I'm such a nitpicker; someone better lock this thread before it turns to politics.

the most ridiculed color man out there eh? we should make that a poll.

It's not really a matter of personal perception; I've read enough sportswriters' articles to know that he gets quite a bit of criticism. It's probably not all justified, but I was just making a joke anyway and now we want to make it into a poll and discussion about "whether or not it's funny." Who cares?

If you type "mccarver" into a googe search, your first hit is: http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/

The website even features a clip from "Family Guy" ridiculing McCarver... I'm sure you don't find Family Guy funny though.

Another website titles AmIAnnoying.com features a poll of whether or not Tim McCarver is annoying. It offers the following justifications:

Why he might be annoying

He likes to over explain things. (What we mean is that he likes to explain things in much more detail than he has to. Like, let's say someone hits the ball into a double play. He would say the double play occurred because the defense got both players out in time by controlling the ball and stepping on the bases quicker than their opposition).
He over criticized many ball players to the point where Deion Sanders emptied a huge bucket of liquid onto his head.

Why he might not be annoying

He usually has good insights.
His nickname is buckethead.

Of 795 votes as of today, 76% of people find him annoying.

And finally, these are just some general discussions on McCarver as an analyst....

Players

McCarver has not been above controversy. During the 1992 National League Championship Series, he criticized Deion Sanders for playing both football and baseball on the same day. For his criticism, Sanders dumped a bucket of water on McCarver while he was covering the National League pennant winning Atlanta Braves' clubhouse celebration for CBS. Some observers remarked that McCarver himself worked under two contracts, his local announcing gig and his national deal, and that there were times when his broadcasting assignments conflicted. In 2004, he was criticized by Roger Clemens over the rehashing of a bat throwing incident four years earlier.

Umpires

In Game 4 of the 1997 ALCS, on a wild pitch with runners dashing around the bases, when umpire Durwood Merrill gestured to where the ball was, McCarver sarcastically commented that "maybe he was trying to tell himself where the ball is!" Merrill heard about that, took offense to it, and fired back in his autobiography that he was letting the other umpires know that the situation was under control.

Stating the Obvious

A regular "Whiner Line" personality on WEEI's Big Show in Boston spoofs McCarver, with his schtick being a reference to McCarver's alleged tendency to accentuate the obvious aspects of baseball when providing color commentary to nationally broadcast games.

Overanalyzing

McCarver has been criticized and/or accused of frequently being slow and confusing during his commentatary. Some critics argue that McCarver is quick to grab on to an idea, and slow to let it go, even when obviously wrong. This was examined on an episode of the Fox animated television series Family Guy. In a cut-away gag, McCarver was shown saying

"In my view as good as the Yankees were in the first half of this game, that's how as bad they have been now. "

During the 1992 postseason (when McCarver worked for CBS), Norman Chad criticized McCarver in Sports Illustrated by saying that he's someone who "when you ask him the time, will tell you how a watch works." Chad's critique of McCarver was a reference to McCarver's supposed habit of overanalyzing. Chad went further by saying

"What's the difference between Tim McCarver and appendicitis? Appendicitis is covered by most health plans. "

Verbal Gaffes

McCarver has been known to make gaffes from time to time. One of his more amusing miscues came during the 1992 National League Championship Series when he repeatedly referred to Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Tim Wakefield as "Bill Wakefield." He finally explained that Bill Wakefield was one of his old minor-league teammates, and he laughed at himself because "I forgot my own name!" He also has been known to refer to current Cincinnati Reds and former Boston Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo as "Brandon" Arroyo. Also, in a discussion of 2005 NL MVP he called Albert Pujols "Luis Pujols." During the 2006 NLCS, McCarver called him Luis Pujols again and was told this by Joe Buck and said, "I did it again!" During the 2006 ALDS, McCarver referred to Detroit Tigers pitcher Nate Robertson as "Dave" Robertson; and Curtis Granderson as Curtis "Ganderman".

While commentating on the 2006 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, McCarver described a fastball from Brad Penny by saying

"A Mark Wahlberg fastball. Catch me if you can!"

McCarver seemed to forget that Leonardo DiCaprio starred in the movie Catch Me If You Can, not Mark Wahlberg. It is possible that McCarver was referencing former Atlanta Braves pitcher Mark Wohlers, who is credited as throwing a pitch at 103 mph.

At a game in Fenway Park, just after seats had been added above the Green Monster, a ball hit off the top of the wall leading McCarver to comment that before the seats, the ball would have been a home run because of the net. In reality, the net was above and behind the wall, and did not hang over the top of the Monster.

Why am I bothering with this? Just to make the point that you guys have no sense of humor; whether it's funny or not, you don't get the fact that I'm not being serious.

It's certainly a bore-fest if I have to explain it.

And finally, I brought up the fact that McCarver mentioned sanitary socks not because I wanted this to become a McCarver bashing thread, but that I thought the discussion might be interesting to people who didn't know why they were called that.

jesus all i was saying is we should make a poll about the subject here not sure what the big deal is. fact is id be interested seeing a list of color announcers throughout sports, cuz im drawing a blank.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:19 am

well that settles it then doesn't it. 75 % of the people at "shutup tim mccarver.com" think that Tim is not a good announcer ..

defense rests ;-7

He made a comment 16 years ago that Deion didn't like

case closed ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:22 am

Coppermine wrote:I don't know; it was pretty classy of McCarver to point out that, like most of us, Eckstein has ten fingers, ten toes. I mean, he could have said "like all of us" and that would be alienating those of us with birth defects and involved in tragic high school shop accidents.

Hey, stop making fun of Alfonseca and his 12 or whatever fingers and toes
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:19 pm

OK, so one hilarious moment last night from McCarver who actually said less than usual. You ever notice there's very little "banter" between Buck and McCarver as opposed to other announcer teams? I bet they really hate each other in real life; or maybe McCarver is constantly trying to touch Joe Buck's throat while he talks like in those Holiday Inn commercials.

Anyway, funny McCarver moment last night came about a minute and half after Zumaya broke down and threw that double-play ball away to third and into the stands...

McCarver wrote:...that was a bad play by Joel Zumaya.

I'm pretty sure Joe Buck agreed, albeit silently, watching in giddy delight as his Cardinals took their out-of-reach lead.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:54 pm

The TIm McCarver quote of the year:
"If you leadoff and you play every day, you're guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times." - July 8th, 2006

That family guy clip was hilarious!!

This is my favorite

2004 ALCS, Game 5? Red Sox vs. Yankees . David Ortiz hit a home run into right field. Tim: "Mt. Everest erupts again!".....too bad Mt. Everest isn't a volcano! - Many readers
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:58 pm

Coppermine wrote:OK, so one hilarious moment last night from McCarver who actually said less than usual. You ever notice there's very little "banter" between Buck and McCarver as opposed to other announcer teams? I bet they really hate each other in real life; or maybe McCarver is constantly trying to touch Joe Buck's throat while he talks like in those Holiday Inn commercials.

I'm pretty sure if he wanted Buck could get McCarver fired in a minute but because McCarver is so bad he makes Buck look good and that is all Joe Buck really cares about.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Tim McCarver wrote:If you leadoff and you play every day, you're guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:36 pm

One last note on Joe Buck. I thought he missed a great opportunity last night to show that he isn't a announcing robot, that only cares about getting good publicity. I just wish he would have given a nod to his Dad on the air and a "That's a winner". :,-(
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers