RP Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RP Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:32 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Wait. What are the rules on calling guys down and up from AAA? Like, could you just call up/send down guys whenever somebody needs a day of rest?

For instance, you have Johan Santana start a game. He obviously isn't going to be pitching the next day. So why don't the Twins send him down and call up, say, Baker from AAA or somethign to pitch in the bullpen..... It seems like you could actually get an extra pitcher this way....

Basically, why doesn't a team send down their starters on their off-days and call up AAA relievers, then just call up the starter again when its his turn to start???

1. It screws up the prospect
2. It takes money to do the travel
3. There's a certain numbers of options you get, after that, you need to go thru waivers
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 pm

1. It screws up the prospect
2. It takes money to do the travel
3. There's a certain numbers of options you get, after that, you need to go thru waivers

First of all, thanks. I appreciate the help.

Point #1. What if you didn't make it a prospect? For the RP strategy, you could sign like 17 or 18 MLB-level RP, then have 6 of them in "AAA". Obviously they would never actually play in a AAA game, nor would they ever really even report to AAA. It would essentially be used as a holding spot for guys who need a day of rest/aren't in the top 12 to be used for that day....

Point #2. Good point. But what if they never actually went to the AAA location. Again, the players wouldn't actually play in any AAA games, AAA would just be used as a holding spot where guys could get rest. In reality, they'd just be with the MLB club.

Point #3: This is what I was really curious about... I know(or at least think) that a guy has 3 option years. But if you signed guys to "minor-league contracts" (worth MLB money of course)....then they could play in the minors, right?

Obviously this would totally screw with the AAA team. But that really doesn't matter too much since AAA is all about development anyways.
Last edited by buffalobillsrul2002 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:16 pm

I think a strategy along this line that would be interesting would be having a two pitchers who would act as a "5th starter". One guy goes three + innings, the second guy goes three + innings, and gives it to the bullpen in the 7th or 8th.

Sort of a platoon, starter. A manager could also pair up guys who were very different, like a guy with a good fastball and a guy who was a control offspeed type pitcher to throw off the opposing team.

In essence, 6 starters. which would require a team to carry 11 or 12 pitchers on the roster.

I would like to see a team give this a real try. Given how poor some 5th starters are, this seems like it would be worth an extended shot.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers