i cant prove osama was lying when he said he wanted nukes, but then again i didnt say your opinion was wrong, i said it didnt make any sense. osama has wet dreams about nukes. we have known this since well before 9/11. he has been trying to buy or build one for decades. associates of his were arrested in the 90's trying to buy enriched uranium. its not bad CIA intel either. this info is straight out of his mouth from interviews with him before he went underground. he views it as his religious duty to get weapons to defend muslims. the nuke is ultimate weapon.
1. Our fire power is so much more massive then theirs: Its easier for them to take out 3,000 people (a relatively small amount) compared to 100,000. That way we don't get too pissed off. Taking out 100,000 people would pretty much sign the death wish of every Muslim in the world. There would be no forgiveness of any of them. Now there are millions and millions of Good muslim people in this world. By killing off that many people you would basically see a slaughter of the Muslim faithful no matter if they were good or bad. Nukes are not a game and if one goes off attributed to Islam you can bet you arse that every Mosque is burned to the ground in the this country and most other civilized ones. You can also BYA that Islams/Muslims who show up in public will be killed on the spot. The Radicals have to be aware of this.
i dont think muslims, en masse, would be killed in retaliation, but thats my opinion. here are the facts:
(1) osama isnt associated with any one country so there really isnt any one to retalliate against. who would we bomb in return? we'd bomb some suspected training camps and thats about it. if we could do more to fight terrorism bush would have already done it. thats one battle in which he desperately needs a victory.
(2) muslims that are friendly to the US arent true followers in the eyes of osama so he doesnt care if they are harmed in retaliation
(3) any true followers that die are martyrs and thus heroes.
(4) U.S. retaliation would cause more muslims to dislike the U.S. and could cause more people to follow osama
retaliation isnt something osama fears. he pretty much welcomes it. he wants to drive a wedge between the east and the west. he wants to cause a conflict. he wants muslims to pick up weapons and start fighting the west. one way to kick start that is to strike the west first.
2. They want to see us scared: Its probably much more satisfying for them to take out small targets and mess with our minds then take out a huge target which would basically turn us all immediately. The country is 50/50 on the whole war etc...Nukes would make 100 pecent of us against the islamic world. Keeping us scared would probably be more satisfying.
yes, osama wants to see us scared. a dirty bomb or a real nuke would definitely do that. nothing is scarier than a nuke. he doesnt care if it would turn us all immediately because he hates all of us anyway and he doesnt fear the retaliation.
3. Technology: I'm pretty sure dirty bombs aren't a light a fuse type thing. North Korea has been trying for years and years to create a real Nuke and it went wrong.
i think you have discovered from the research that dirty bombs are more simple than real nukes.
4. They would have already done it: If there goal is to terrify americans the best way to do it is to plan small attacks and claim bigger ones. 9/11 was big but not nuke big. Why even do 9/11 if you are planning bigger things. 9/11 made us step up our defense if you want to destroy someone you catch them with their guard down. Our Guard is way up.
the modus operandi of al quaeda is large scale coordinated attacks. your opinion about which is the best way is thus irrelevant. we dont need to know the best way, we only need to know al quaeda's way of doing things.
5. The easiest targets are overseas: Targeting a Football stadium that has been alerted about an attack is a stupid thing to do. Getting bombs into this country is not an easy task especially in complete form. The best targets are unfortunately our military and overseas bases. I'd think a dirty bomb would have already gone off in Afghanistan/Iraq if they existed.
the easiest targets are indeed overseas, but those arent the most desirable targets. time and again osama has said he wants to strike US soil.
so basically, i dont think your opinion makes any sense.