Cubs want Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs want Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby savvy_stu » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:08 pm

I think Mak's right on here. I don't expect the Cubs to give up Zamby for A-Rod. So, it's really an issue of A-Rod and player X vs. A-Ram and Soriano. As much as I like A-Rod, he's not a A-Ram-size upgrade over Soriano.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:11 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:the cubs have some money to spend and they want to make a splash.

I don't really think they have too much money to spend. There's a big payday in store for Aramis, if that situation can be worked out (and I sincerely hope it can), and this is the time to lock Zambrano up long term as well.

There's lot of spending to be done to make sure those two stay here for a while before you even look outside the team.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby savvy_stu » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:12 pm

Whether it's SF or Chicago or someplace else, I think it's pretty obvious that Soriano's going to be leaving Washington. When he does, Bowden should be fired... The fool will rue the day he passed on shipping Soriano to the Twins for Kubel and Baker.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:14 pm

savvy_stu wrote:Whether it's SF or Chicago or someplace else, I think it's pretty obvious that Soriano's going to be leaving Washington. When he does, Bowden should be fired... The fool will rue the day he passed on shipping Soriano to the Twins for Kubel and Baker.

He will get 2 draft picks in return, Bowden might have wanted the draft picks over Kubel and Baker.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:19 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
savvy_stu wrote:Whether it's SF or Chicago or someplace else, I think it's pretty obvious that Soriano's going to be leaving Washington. When he does, Bowden should be fired... The fool will rue the day he passed on shipping Soriano to the Twins for Kubel and Baker.

He will get 2 draft picks in return, Bowden might have wanted the draft picks over Kubel and Baker.

With the new CBA being signed there's no guarantee that there will be compensatory draft picks for 07. So if guys like Bowden and Beane decided to hold onto their players because of the picks, it seems like an awfully big gamble to me.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby savvy_stu » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:With the new CBA being signed there's no guarantee that there will be compensatory draft picks for 07. So if guys like Bowden and Beane decided to hold onto their players because of the picks, it seems like an awfully big gamble to me.

Regardless of when the picks come in to play, Kubel and Baker are major-league ready talents. Whether or not they will ever be stars is difficult to say, but you take players that can help your club over draft picks that are unlikely to reach the majors at all, let alone next year.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm

Amazinz wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

With the new CBA being signed there's no guarantee that there will be compensatory draft picks for 07. So if guys like Bowden and Beane decided to hold onto their players because of the picks, it seems like an awfully big gamble to me.

I wonder if that would apply for 07? Seems like it's unfair to penalize teams who under the current rule would have had the compensation picks. :-?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:30 pm

Good question. I am not entirely sure but I am under the assumption that the off-season falls under the new year. So in this case 2007. The current CBC ends in 2006 when the World Series is finalized. So I believe the new CBC governs FA acquisitions in 2006. Also, I don't really see it as a penalty since every GM is baseball is probably aware of the possibility.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:47 pm

ThatDude wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:the cubs have some money to spend and they want to make a splash.

I don't really think they have too much money to spend. There's a big payday in store for Aramis, if that situation can be worked out (and I sincerely hope it can), and this is the time to lock Zambrano up long term as well.

There's lot of spending to be done to make sure those two stay here for a while before you even look outside the team.

maybe its just offseason BS but it has been reported the cubs are willing to add 10-15 mil to the payroll. they can also cut off kerry wood and save 10 mil. pierre is a FA (~6 mil). aram is already getting around 11. if he renegotiated it would only add a few million more. there are holes to fill, but there is also money to spend.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Cubs want A-Rod. Cubs want Soriano. I hear they're also trying to get Johan, Pujols, Nathan, Bay, & Wright.

Stay tuned!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers