100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ken Macha Fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:54 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:I think what Oakland/Beane need is a do-nothing manager. The kind of guy who keeps the players happy and doesn't insist on diverging from the plan.

I think Macha only fulfilled one of those two obligations.

They should sign Dusty Baker but give all in game decisions to the bench coach and the pitching coach. He's great with players at least but a horrible ingame manager in every aspect.

You know, I think you're probably kidding but it might just work... Well, in theory.

If they could tell Dusty exactly what to do - starting with pitch counts - and if he'd follow them, he'd be a great Oakland manager. He's a good guy. All he'd have to do is follow Beane's instructions and he'd be the manager Oakland wants.
I totally agree but I doubt Baker is willing to be Beane's puppet.

Beane will hire a no-name manager who will buy into his theory of baseball. They have very limited resources so most likely they will promote someone within the organization.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:26 am

I got to believe that Ron Washington gets the job. Alot of teams have been asking about him over the last couple of years, so it just seems like a natural.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Half Massed » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:31 am

wrveres wrote:I got to believe that Ron Washington gets the job. Alot of teams have been asking about him over the last couple of years, so it just seems like a natural.

I like him as a manager, the only possible problem is he tends to be aggressive as a third base coach, which could translate into him being aggressive as a manager, which is not the Oakland way. However, if he doesn't do that, he'd be perfect. He's respected by the players and is great with them, and he really knows his baseball stuff.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:54 am

Simulacrum wrote:
Madison wrote:So signing Loaiza instead of some actual hitters is Macha's fault?

Interesting. :-?

I'd be willing to give him a shot here in Texas. ;-D

Boy, do you ever have some kind of axe to grind with Loaiza. :-B

Lol. :-b Actually it's not really Loaiza I've got the problem with. It's that he put up a fluky season and everyone went nuts for the next couple of years. Even now there are people who think Loaiza's got some sort of value (He started game 2 against the Tigers!?! STUPID!! STUPID! STUPID!!). The only value Loaiza has is a mop up man in a blowout. At least that way the team saves it's real arms for when it matters.

Anyhow, for this discussion, the A's threw away and wasted a ton of money on Loaiza. Dumb move by a team that always whines and crys that they don't have any money because managment hasn't figured out how to grow a bigger base of fans and generate more revenue. Even if Loaiza was an average pitcher instead of total garbage, when has pitching ever been a problem for the A's? Go get some hitters! You guys have pitching, go get a couple of guys to give those pitchers some run support! Instead, they sandbag their pitching by sticking Loaiza in the rotation, and hurt themselves financially to the point where they can't go get hitters because they are paying a waste of space way too much money. Makes no sense at all and I don't see how that's Macha's fault.

My Rangers are no better though. We keep going out and wasting money on bats. We don't need yet another hitter, we need good pitching! :~(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:02 pm

Madison wrote:Makes no sense at all and I don't see how that's Macha's fault.

From what I gather, the firing had nothing to do with the A's loss. There was unrest in the clubhouse.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 pm

I hear the Cubs are interested.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:03 pm

RynMan wrote:

From what I gather, the firing had nothing to do with the A's loss. There was unrest in the clubhouse.

Unrest in the A's clubhouse? From whom? What they have a 25M primadonna telling everyone how wonderful he is while also saying the team Captain is merely a singles hitter compared to him too?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:12 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
RynMan wrote:

Unrest in the A's clubhouse? From whom? What they have a 25M primadonna telling everyone how wonderful he is while also saying the team Captain is merely a singles hitter compared to him too?

Not unrest between the players, unrest among the players about the manager. Different story all-together.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:53 am

Here's an article from the SF Chronicle explaining the firing pretty well and going over a few of the candidates for his replacement (although a few were left out):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/10/17/SPG4ULQPA71.DTL&type=as
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:37 am

Half Massed wrote:Here's an article from the SF Chronicle explaining the firing pretty well and going over a few of the candidates for his replacement (although a few were left out):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/10/17/SPG4ULQPA71.DTL&type=as

Even though I don't tend to trust much from the Chronicle :-o , that was a pretty interesting read. ;-D

Oh, and just to clarify, I didn't/don't believe him being fired had anything to do with their playoff loss.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers