Ken Macha Fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ken Macha Fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:07 pm

There has to be someone on the team most players like? The bench coach, pitching coach, hitting coach, whoever. Give them the job and the Billy Beane manual to managing.

Page 1: Don't bunt. Don't ever bunt.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21614
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:13 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Madison wrote:So signing Loaiza instead of some actual hitters is Macha's fault?

Interesting. :-?


I'd be willing to give him a shot here in Texas. ;-D


Boy, do you ever have some kind of axe to grind with Loaiza. :-B


Here's an SAT type question for you:

Yanks04 is to Arod as Madison is to ________

A. Elvis
B. Soriano
C. Loaiza
D. Bowling
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:41 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:I think what Oakland/Beane need is a do-nothing manager. The kind of guy who keeps the players happy and doesn't insist on diverging from the plan.

I think Macha only fulfilled one of those two obligations.

They should get the first clown manager. Whenever they have a bad game he can throw some pies at the other team, or when a ref makes a bad call he rolls out and gets him with selzter water. It'd be amazing.



Hmmm. Sort of a variant of my proposed Bozo rule for baseball players which goes something like if you hit less than 230 or have an ERA over 5 after May 1, you have to go to the plate/appear on the mound wearing a big red clown's nose until you fix the problem. If you hit below the Mendoza line or have an ERA over 6, you have to also wear big red floppy shoes and a big red puffy wig.
If you go 1 for 14 in the post-season and make more than 25 million, you have to not only do all of the above for the next full season, but have to have your name officially changed to "Bozo D. Clown'. Man you would see an improvement in a hurry.


lol..Now up...number 13...Bozo D. Clown...number 13.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:50 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:
Madison wrote:So signing Loaiza instead of some actual hitters is Macha's fault?

Interesting. :-?


I'd be willing to give him a shot here in Texas. ;-D


Boy, do you ever have some kind of axe to grind with Loaiza. :-B


Here's an SAT type question for you:

Yanks04 is to Arod as Madison is to ________

A. Elvis
B. Soriano
C. Loaiza
D. Bowling


No analogies on the New SAT
Image
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2982
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:53 pm

They finally win a playoff series and lose to a team that killed the Yankees. Who can they get to do a better job with that team, the talent to win more than they did is not there.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 464
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm honestly shocked that Beane has never thought about managing the team. The fact he or Depodesta never sat on the bench is a bit strange to me, as Oakland pretty much wants a manager who will follow Beane's orders to the letter.

I think Macha did a decent job this year, but some things (Loiaza starting over Haren or Harden?!) simply didn't make sense.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1057
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I'm honestly shocked that Beane has never thought about managing the team. The fact he or Depodesta never sat on the bench is a bit strange to me, as Oakland pretty much wants a manager who will follow Beane's orders to the letter.

I think Macha did a decent job this year, but some things (Loiaza starting over Haren or Harden?!) simply didn't make sense.


In Moneyball, Beane can't even watch Oakland play. He gets too angry.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 17)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:00 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I think Macha did a decent job this year, but some things (Loiaza starting over Haren or Harden?!) simply didn't make sense.


I'm not a Macha defender but that was a front office decision.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 743
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:10 pm

SlightlyStoopid wrote:
tinfoilxtouch wrote:I think Macha did a decent job this year, but some things (Loiaza starting over Haren or Harden?!) simply didn't make sense.


I'm not a Macha defender but that was a front office decision.


Yeah well he could have started someone like Kevin Brown instead...cough cough.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:There has to be someone on the team most players like? The bench coach, pitching coach, hitting coach, whoever. Give them the job and the Billy Beane manual to managing.

Page 1: Don't bunt. Don't ever bunt.


Yeah most likely the manager will be somebody internal who already knows the Beane philosophy and how things are run. Ron Washington is a good candidate, or maybe the AAA manager. I don't see the A's needing to bring somebody in from the outside.

Macha was a fine manager, he just tended towards inaction in the wrong ways (bad ump calls, pulling a pitcher in time, dealing with players)
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact