Piniella new Cubs manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piniella new Cubs manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:05 pm

Bochy would be the best choice for the Cubs.


Pinella is not the right guy for this job, and Girardi hasn't proven enough to get my confidence.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:33 pm

Well I don't think Hendry has enough of a pair to fire a guy midseason. So I won't take the firing Lou at 2.5 seasons.
Image
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 717
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Why not Lou as the Rangers coach? He's already said the reason he turned downthe SF job was because it was too far from his house and family in Tampa Bay. It seems to me the Rangers job would be the closest to TB and they'd have road trips to TB every year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8518
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Why not Lou as the Rangers coach? He's already said the reason he turned downthe SF job was because it was too far from his house and family in Tampa Bay. It seems to me the Rangers job would be the closest to TB and they'd have road trips to TB every year.


It was rumored that Cubs ownership, i.e.. the Tribune Corp, was not all that thrilled with Giradi as he is not perceived as enough of a yes-man or corporate suck up that can be easily influenced.

Piniella fits that mold a lot better, though he has been known to go off at times (to say the least). However, Girardi has a reputation of being very much of his own mind and the one thing corproations hate are talented people who will get things done and do things their own way.

As to why Piniella likes Chicago better, I think it is a case that the money would be bigger, and he feels he will have more room to redo that club longterm and get bigger glory. Texas he would very much have to follow what Hicks and Daniels have to say.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:40 pm

Girardi isn't a "yes" man but Pineilla is??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Old_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Girardi isn't a "yes" man but Pineilla is??


i've seen pineilla labled as quite a few things, but "yes-man" was never one of them.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:58 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Girardi isn't a "yes" man but Pineilla is??


i've seen pineilla labled as quite a few things, but "yes-man" was never one of them.


Agreed. That's why I asked.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:16 pm

The Cubs going after another old manager disgusts me. Girardi is the easy choice here. Raised in Peoria, IL and grew a huge Cub fan. Later a loved Cub player. And now could come back to the Cubs to manage....a perfect scenerio. Hendry is really starting to lose my confidence...fast.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3739
Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:42 pm

the more i think about girardi with the cubs the more i dont see it working out. girardi hasnt proven he can work with veterans and with how he handled the situation in florida im not sure he could.

to me bochy would be the pick here.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:42 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:the more i think about girardi with the cubs the more i dont see it working out. girardi hasnt proven he can work with veterans and with how he handled the situation in florida im not sure he could.

to me bochy would be the pick here.


Not saying that you're wrong but Girardi hasn't done anything to disprove that he can work with veterans as a manager. But he has for years been counted on many great pitchers as one of the best catchers in the league when he played.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8518
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact