Piniella new Cubs manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piniella new Cubs manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:05 pm

Bochy would be the best choice for the Cubs.

Pinella is not the right guy for this job, and Girardi hasn't proven enough to get my confidence.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:33 pm

Well I don't think Hendry has enough of a pair to fire a guy midseason. So I won't take the firing Lou at 2.5 seasons.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Why not Lou as the Rangers coach? He's already said the reason he turned downthe SF job was because it was too far from his house and family in Tampa Bay. It seems to me the Rangers job would be the closest to TB and they'd have road trips to TB every year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Why not Lou as the Rangers coach? He's already said the reason he turned downthe SF job was because it was too far from his house and family in Tampa Bay. It seems to me the Rangers job would be the closest to TB and they'd have road trips to TB every year.

It was rumored that Cubs ownership, i.e.. the Tribune Corp, was not all that thrilled with Giradi as he is not perceived as enough of a yes-man or corporate suck up that can be easily influenced.

Piniella fits that mold a lot better, though he has been known to go off at times (to say the least). However, Girardi has a reputation of being very much of his own mind and the one thing corproations hate are talented people who will get things done and do things their own way.

As to why Piniella likes Chicago better, I think it is a case that the money would be bigger, and he feels he will have more room to redo that club longterm and get bigger glory. Texas he would very much have to follow what Hicks and Daniels have to say.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:40 pm

Girardi isn't a "yes" man but Pineilla is??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Girardi isn't a "yes" man but Pineilla is??

i've seen pineilla labled as quite a few things, but "yes-man" was never one of them.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:58 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Girardi isn't a "yes" man but Pineilla is??

i've seen pineilla labled as quite a few things, but "yes-man" was never one of them.

Agreed. That's why I asked.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:16 pm

The Cubs going after another old manager disgusts me. Girardi is the easy choice here. Raised in Peoria, IL and grew a huge Cub fan. Later a loved Cub player. And now could come back to the Cubs to manage....a perfect scenerio. Hendry is really starting to lose my confidence...fast.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:42 pm

the more i think about girardi with the cubs the more i dont see it working out. girardi hasnt proven he can work with veterans and with how he handled the situation in florida im not sure he could.

to me bochy would be the pick here.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:42 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:the more i think about girardi with the cubs the more i dont see it working out. girardi hasnt proven he can work with veterans and with how he handled the situation in florida im not sure he could.

to me bochy would be the pick here.

Not saying that you're wrong but Girardi hasn't done anything to disprove that he can work with veterans as a manager. But he has for years been counted on many great pitchers as one of the best catchers in the league when he played.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers