Piniella new Cubs manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piniella new Cubs manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cubs want Piniella instead of Girardi?

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:14 pm

Hrmm... I would have thought Girardi a lock for the job. What does this mean for Girardi, perhaps San Fran or Washington?

ESPN wrote:Lou Piniella could be the manager of the Chicago Cubs before the World Series begins, a source told ESPN's Peter Gammons.

The Chicago Sun-Times first reported Saturday that negotiations between the Cubs and Piniella could begin Monday.

On Friday, Piniella took himself out of the running for the San Francisco Giants' opening. He has also spoken to the Washington Nationals and Texas Rangers, although he said the Washington job is not an ideal fit.

Piniella, 63, has been working in television since parting ways with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays after the 2005 season following three difficult years as manager. Before that he managed the Seattle Mariners for 10 seasons, won the 1990 World Series as Cincinnati Reds manager and also managed the New York Yankees.

The Cubs chose not to bring back manager Dusty Baker when his contract expired. Chicago was 66-96 this season.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:18 pm

it would be nice to have ozzie and sweet lou managing in chicago. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 am

I heard Girardi looks to be the guy in Washington though I think the Cubs would be the ideal place for him to go. Lou has shot down the SF job so I have no idea where he goes. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Lou in Texas. He has won a WS and every team that Buck leaves wins a WS the nest year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 133)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:31 am

Piniella is the wrong guy for the job but once again the Cubs feel they need a big name. :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:43 am

After what Girardi did this past year, I don't see how he could not be #1 on any teams coaching list. :-? I guess the Cubs are hoping that Piniellas past with Arod lets them get a heads up on any possible off season trades :-?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:54 am

As a Cubs fan, I want to see Girardi. Talk about total opposites of Dusty...
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:48 am

The thing that doesn't make sense, is the fact he turned down Washington because he didn't want to be part of a re-building process. Isn't that pretty much what the cubs should be/are doing?

Another thing that is getting me, why do they keep recycling these old managers? There has to be plenty of guys with talent in the bigs or in the minors.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ironman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:03 am

1337_Dude wrote:The thing that doesn't make sense, is the fact he turned down Washington because he didn't want to be part of a re-building process. Isn't that pretty much what the cubs should be/are doing?

Another thing that is getting me, why do they keep recycling these old managers? There has to be plenty of guys with talent in the bigs or in the minors.

Rebuilding? Tell that to Jim "We have to win NOW" Hendry. That's why Lou will be the manager over Girardi.

Oh and I'm setting the over/under on Lou getting canned/getting pissed and quitting at 2.5 years.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:12 am

ironman wrote:Oh and I'm setting the over/under on Lou getting canned/getting pissed and quitting at 2.5 years.
I'll take the under. ;-)
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Mugrila » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
ironman wrote:Oh and I'm setting the over/under on Lou getting canned/getting pissed and quitting at 2.5 years.
I'll take the under. ;-)

As will I.

Personally I'd like to see Girardi in Washington, but it doesn't look like that will happen.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers