A little twist to league setup... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A little twist to league setup...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A little twist to league setup...

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:46 am

Me and some buddies played in a 10 team league this season and came up for an idea for next year that we are gonna give a try, on the side of our normal standard league.

Next season, you basically don't draft players, you draft 3 MLB teams using a snake draft. You may then use ANY of the players on your 3 teams to make up your roster. You are able to drop guys and pick them up as you please.

It will be interesting, as some of the best fantasy players aren't on teams full of good fantasy guys (Pujols, Tejada, Santana, Peavy).....so you have to ask yourself whether you take their whole team or not.

Obviously it removes the element of trading, but is just an interesting little twist to see what it's like. It also wouldn't be considerably time restraining.

Anyone done something similar?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:06 am

Hmm.. that sounds interesting.. Id imagine the Yankees would go number one with the Sox, Mets, Rangers all around there too..

what happens when a players traded from an MLB team?
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:14 am

Very cool idea. I'd never be able to talk anyone into it, but it does sound really fun.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:17 am

RyanK wrote:Hmm.. that sounds interesting.. Id imagine the Yankees would go number one with the Sox, Mets, Rangers all around there too..

what happens when a players traded from an MLB team?

You lose whoever is traded from your team, but you get whoever comes back in return. Too bad if it's a trade for prospects. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:17 am

Sounds like a pretty neat idea. I've never heard of it done like that. I've heard of selecting a real major league team to be your fantasy team as a start and working from there.

Side note: Santana does have some good fantasy talent surrounding him (Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Liriano, Hunter). :-B
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Old_Style » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:19 am

it's been done before, i've never done a league like that myself though.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 am

the only problem i see with this is that the team that takes the yankees is pretty much set

can't go wrong with a team that can potentially have arod/jeter/matsui/damon/abreu/mussina/rivera/johnson/cano/giambi/posada/sheffield/wang ...especially in that type of draft format.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:11 am

Half Massed wrote:Side note: Santana does have some good fantasy talent surrounding him (Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Liriano, Hunter). :-B

!+)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:12 am

Old_Style wrote:the only problem i see with this is that the team that takes the yankees is pretty much set

can't go wrong with a team that can potentially have arod/jeter/matsui/damon/abreu/mussina/rivera/johnson/cano/giambi/posada/sheffield/wang ...especially in that type of draft format.

To a degree, but they will also have the 20th best team so it should work out okay. Well maybe the snake draft isn't the best method as it is only fair with an even number of rounds.

Another thing - you can't trade players, but you can trade teams.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:24 am

RynMan wrote:
Old_Style wrote:the only problem i see with this is that the team that takes the yankees is pretty much set

To a degree, but they will also have the 20th best team so it should work out okay. Well maybe the snake draft isn't the best method as it is only fair with an even number of rounds.

Another thing - you can't trade players, but you can trade teams.

It might work better as an auction as opposed to a snake draft.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers