mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:59 pm

Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:This reminds me of a little story when I was in the UK. I asked a local friend why they had every big American fast food chain you can think of, but no Taco Bell around (there's a part of the town I was in that had one street lined up with KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc.). You would figure it's because Taco Bell would be too spicy for the palate of the English. But the explanation is that the Brits in general would feel embarrassed about their funny pronounciation of Mexican foods, like burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.

Holy crap Art, I just realized something.... I have never heard someone with a British accent speak Spanish..... is it possible? I bet it would be hilarious!

"I'll have a bloody burrito, right-o, eh, chaps?!"

Now you know. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:02 pm

mak1277 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm not a sandwich fan

Communist?

:-? Nope, I'm politically apathetic and proud of it! :-D If I was a commie, wouldn't you think I'd want to believe there should be a Subway and a Starbucks together on every street corner? :-b

If I could be serious for a minute, the coffee shop downstairs from my place of work, makes some awesome sandwiches though. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:10 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:This reminds me of a little story when I was in the UK. I asked a local friend why they had every big American fast food chain you can think of, but no Taco Bell around (there's a part of the town I was in that had one street lined up with KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc.). You would figure it's because Taco Bell would be too spicy for the palate of the English. But the explanation is that the Brits in general would feel embarrassed about their funny pronounciation of Mexican foods, like burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.

Holy crap Art, I just realized something.... I have never heard someone with a British accent speak Spanish..... is it possible? I bet it would be hilarious!

"I'll have a bloody burrito, right-o, eh, chaps?!"

Now you know. :-b

It's funny though because I live, sort of, in Pennsylvania Dutch country and I find the local cuisine bland at best, offensive at worst. Everything is very salty; they love salt. Salt all over everything. If I go out to eat with someone, no matter where it is, before even trying the food they reach for the salt. Pepper is not particularly popular mostly because they think it's "spicy." Spicy? I once tried to tell a local co-worker about the benefits of freshly ground pepper as opposed to pepper-shaker pepper. He didn't believe me and expressed frustration over the difficulty to find "just a pepper shaker" as opposed to a pepper mill. I digress.

Brown gravy is everywhere. Every dessert is made with apples and/or caramel. There is a lot of chicken and ham; mostly ham because it's salty and chicken because it's bland (they rarely cook it with seasoning). Don't even get me started on sushi. Everyone eats their steaks well-done; and ok, so some people like it that way, but everyone is deathly afraid of red meat. If it's red, it's "dangerous." Seafood as a whole isn't popular, particularly fish. A daily special of "liver and onions" doesn't raise a single eyebrow. And scrapple; oh dear God, the horror that is scrapple is difficult to express in mere words. While we're on the topic of breakfast, I'm surrounded by people who ask for their eggs "dippy." I worked at a restaurant in college and people would order "dippy eggs." What the hell is that? Over easy? Over medium? Sunny side up? Everyone actually likes it a different way, but they all call it dippy. And here's another one that annoys me... lunch is dinner and dinner is supper. Dinner and supper are synonymous to me, and the word supper actually sounds weird, I never say it. But people around here will call dinner any mean in the afternoon that isn't breakfast or "supper."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:34 pm

For burgers, I have to go with BackYard Burger. I like In-N-Out, but its been a while since I been in So Cal.

There's a place down in San Diego that had amazing fish tacos. I know they have other places in LA County but haven't stopped at those places yet.

Right now I'm in a total college town, the only eating we ever do is fast food or sports bar/ale house style places. Its bad enough that the waitresses at Hooters don't balance out their food. !+)
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:19 pm

I just saw a Taco Bell commercial where they wrap a hardshell taco in a gordita shell, and it reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVx2JKuZp04

It gets even awesomer!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:16 pm

Coppermine wrote:You know, I hate it here; I'm just going to up and move within the next year... I'll take suggestions from you guys, where's a cool place to live for a 25-year-old, co-habitating, slightly snooty but reasonable guy who prefers the "reality-based community?"

Dude, it's all about SoCal. It costs an arm and a leg, and there are a bunch of tools, but you also have enough people who just like to kick back and have a good time (while still being productive). It's not as stereotypical as it's made to be.

San Diego is probably a little less LA, with more of a kick back vibe.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:48 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Coppermine wrote:You know, I hate it here; I'm just going to up and move within the next year... I'll take suggestions from you guys, where's a cool place to live for a 25-year-old, co-habitating, slightly snooty but reasonable guy who prefers the "reality-based community?"

Dude, it's all about SoCal. It costs an arm and a leg, and there are a bunch of tools, but you also have enough people who just like to kick back and have a good time (while still being productive). It's not as stereotypical as it's made to be.

San Diego is probably a little less LA, with more of a kick back vibe.

I would consider California, but I don't think it's for me... moving to California seems a bit cliche to me. I was considering someplace a little more obscure, yet not completely. I'm leaning toward the Pacific Northwest; Seattle or Portland maybe.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:10 pm

If you're serious about it, I would think about it. I know it's hard to judge someone from a message board, but I think your personality would fit nicely with SoCal.

It may be cliche, but I think SoCal gets a bad rap that isn't justified.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:44 am

Phatferd wrote:If you're serious about it, I would think about it. I know it's hard to judge someone from a message board, but I think your personality would fit nicely with SoCal.

It may be cliche, but I think SoCal gets a bad rap that isn't justified.

Word to that; is the beer good? :-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk