I can't find Omaha's Best Of online... :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:33 pm

At least you have any of that stuff. I live in a small backwood county. We have a DQ and Subway, those are our only franchise places. Luckily, we do have some nice mom and pop restaurants with great food.

I hate not having a Taco Bell or Krystal, nothing worse then being hungry at 1-2 in the morning and not having anywhere to go pick up food.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:09 pm

It's not a ghost town; there are better choices in every category. I mean, I don't even understand how Subway can still beat Quizno's.

You'd think that it's something that's paid off but I'm almost positive that it's not. People are just boneheads.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RyanK » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:It's not a ghost town; there are better choices in every category. I mean, I don't even understand how Subway can still beat Quizno's.

You'd think that it's something that's paid off but I'm almost positive that it's not. People are just boneheads.

I'm not a Quiznos fan.. Some reason I just dont like it.. definatly a subway person but theyre so stingy with their servings
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:29 pm

RyanK wrote:
Coppermine wrote:It's not a ghost town; there are better choices in every category. I mean, I don't even understand how Subway can still beat Quizno's.

I'm not a Quiznos fan.. Some reason I just dont like it.. definatly a subway person but theyre so stingy with their servings

I'm not a sandwich fan but I like Quizno's better than Subway, although I sort of have this newfound belief that Quizno's is the new Starbucks; you'll find them everywhere these days.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:38 pm

I have a hard time believing that anyone could prefer Subway over Quizno's except maybe on price; but then you get what you pay for. i know some people are averse to unique and different condiments; I guess taking the safe mayo road is always exciting ( :*) ) but that's beside the point; there are at least 4 or 5 local deli's and sub shops that blow them both out of the water.

Plus Subway's meats look like they have been a liquid at some point.

If you can't find a local pizza place better than pizza hut, I'd say you have to move; but hell, Papa John's is better than Pizza Hut and even they're not very good.

As for the burger thing; I'd argue that Hardee's burgers are far superior to any other fast food joint (around here) and that ANY fast food burger is better than McDonald's. They're currently building a Fuddrucker's, so we'll see how that goes.

Best ethnic restaurant did go to a local mexican joint, but that's because they're the ONLY ethnic restaurant; then again, i'm surprised Taco Bell didn't win the category but no one goes to Taco Bell around here; I think the Pennsylvania Dutch find it "too spicy."

:-[
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:43 pm

You know, I hate it here; I'm just going to up and move within the next year... I'll take suggestions from you guys, where's a cool place to live for a 25-year-old, co-habitating, slightly snooty but reasonable guy who prefers the "reality-based community?"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:I have a hard time believing that anyone could prefer Subway over Quizno's except maybe on price; but then you get what you pay for. i know some people are averse to unique and different condiments; I guess taking the safe mayo road is always exciting ( :*) ) but that's beside the point; there are at least 4 or 5 local deli's and sub shops that blow them both out of the water.

Don't they have the same condiments. And yes, I am a Subway guy, but both are good.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:I have a hard time believing that anyone could prefer Subway over Quizno's except maybe on price; but then you get what you pay for. i know some people are averse to unique and different condiments; I guess taking the safe mayo road is always exciting ( :*) ) but that's beside the point; there are at least 4 or 5 local deli's and sub shops that blow them both out of the water.

Great local delis are a bit hard to find in LA without a little side trip exploration, but you figure that a few local delis would surpass big sandwich chains such as Subway and Quizno's, in taste and atmosphere.

Coppermine wrote:Plus Subway's meats look like they have been a liquid at some point.

Eek. I haven't eaten at Subway in something like three years and so, you'd know all about that. :-D

Coppermine wrote:If you can't find a local pizza place better than pizza hut, I'd say you have to move; but hell, Papa John's is better than Pizza Hut and even they're not very good.

Now, a top-notch pizza establishment is hard to find in LA. You have your Dominos, Pizza Hut, your Costco pizza, and then you'll find a California Pizza Kitchen in the upscale parts of town, and a Papa John's somewhere. The funny thing is that if you look hard enough, you'll find a good local New York pizza parlor. I found one near work in between Hollywood & Cahuenga and Hollywood & Vine. Pretty good.

Coppermine wrote:As for the burger thing; I'd argue that Hardee's burgers are far superior to any other fast food joint (around here) and that ANY fast food burger is better than McDonald's. They're currently building a Fuddrucker's, so we'll see how that goes.

We call Hardee's, Carl's Jr. in these parts and I went to school with the grandson of the guy who started Carl's Jr. Jack in the Box is fairly good too. Of course, we have In-N-Out and well, all I know is that In-N-Out only stretches as far east as Nevada and Arizona. You're missing out, rest of America. :-b

Coppermine wrote:Best ethnic restaurant did go to a local mexican joint, but that's because they're the ONLY ethnic restaurant; then again, i'm surprised Taco Bell didn't win the category but no one goes to Taco Bell around here; I think the Pennsylvania Dutch find it "too spicy."

:-[

This reminds me of a little story when I was in the UK. I asked a local friend why they had every big American fast food chain you can think of, but no Taco Bell around (there's a part of the town I was in that had one street lined up with KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc.). You would figure it's because Taco Bell would be too spicy for the palate of the English. But the explanation is that the Brits in general would feel embarrassed about their funny pronounciation of Mexican foods, like burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:55 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:This reminds me of a little story when I was in the UK. I asked a local friend why they had every big American fast food chain you can think of, but no Taco Bell around (there's a part of the town I was in that had one street lined up with KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc.). You would figure it's because Taco Bell would be too spicy for the palate of the English. But the explanation is that the Brits in general would feel embarrassed about their funny pronounciation of Mexican foods, like burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.

Holy crap Art, I just realized something.... I have never heard someone with a British accent speak Spanish..... is it possible? I bet it would be hilarious!

"I'll have a bloody burrito, right-o, eh, chaps?!"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk