Yahoo isn't working for me (computer help) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yahoo isn't working for me (computer help)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo isn't working for me (computer help)

Postby ironman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:09 am

This is getting really frustrating. I can get to the main page for Yahoo Fantasy but when I click on "Sign In" it hangs up and dies on me. The same happens if I go to Yahoo Mail. I'll type my signin info and submit but it just hangs up and does nothing.

I don't think this is problem with Yahoo because I'm sure others are able to access it. I think it's an issue with my computer. Pretty much all other sites load fine, although the other day a lot of them were hanging up. I get the same problem in IE and Firefox so it doesn't seem to be a problem with a particular browser.

Any computer people have a thought?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo isn't working for me (computer help)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:12 am

ironman wrote:This is getting really frustrating. I can get to the main page for Yahoo Fantasy but when I click on "Sign In" it hangs up and dies on me. The same happens if I go to Yahoo Mail. I'll type my signin info and submit but it just hangs up and does nothing.

I don't think this is problem with Yahoo because I'm sure others are able to access it. I think it's an issue with my computer. Pretty much all other sites load fine, although the other day a lot of them were hanging up. I get the same problem in IE and Firefox so it doesn't seem to be a problem with a particular browser.

Any computer people have a thought?

I've had problems accessing Yahoo after McAfee updates before; try turning your virus scan off and go from there.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Been working fine for me all day. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ironman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Yeah I can't seem to find any sort of solution. I've turned McAfee off and it still won't work. I've ran AdAware and Spybot, and even downloaded and ran a couple more AV programs and have come up with nothing.

This is really getting annoying. I'm pretty close to tossing the computer out the door and buying an Apple. :-[

I'm just glad I set all my football lineups earlier this week. :-°
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:56 pm

OK, try this Ironman...

go to Start > Run

Type in msconfig, hit enter

Go to the Services tab

Scroll down to McAfee Proxy Service and uncheck it to disable. Then try going to Yahoo.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:03 pm

no dice.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:50 am

Reboot your computer.

Reboot your Router/Modem

Do a spysweep.

If that doesn't run windows in safe mode with networking.

F8 should get you there if you press it on startup. Or F2 I don't remember which one. Just press it right as your computer starts.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:06 pm

acsguitar wrote:Reboot your computer.

Reboot your Router/Modem

Do a spysweep.

F8 should get you there if you press it on startup. Or F2 I don't remember which one. Just press it right as your computer starts.

AdAware still freezes at the same point in Safe Mode too. It freezes when it's deep scanning the registry.

I've completely dumped McAfee at this point. Not that I think they're the culprit but that I'm fed up with them. The VirusScan would lock up all the time and I never renewed the Firewall so it was stupid to have them. I have Avast for AV software and just loaded Kerio for my firewall.

This is really bizarre. Some sites, like this one for example have been loading no problem. But anything with Yahoo, (fantasy sports, email, whatever) won't load. I can get to the first page usually but even then the progress bar never finishes fully loading it. Then it times out when I try to proceed with the signin or anything else on the site. Avast has found nothing, BitDefender has found nothing. Spybot has found nothing but the basic tracking cookies. I would run HijackThis but I have no idea what I'd be looking at in my registry and whenever I've posted it on a forum I never get a response.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:16 pm

ironman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Reboot your computer.

Reboot your Router/Modem

Do a spysweep.

AdAware still freezes at the same point in Safe Mode too. It freezes when it's deep scanning the registry.

I've completely dumped McAfee at this point. Not that I think they're the culprit but that I'm fed up with them. The VirusScan would lock up all the time and I never renewed the Firewall so it was stupid to have them. I have Avast for AV software and just loaded Kerio for my firewall.

This is really bizarre. Some sites, like this one for example have been loading no problem. But anything with Yahoo, (fantasy sports, email, whatever) won't load. I can get to the first page usually but even then the progress bar never finishes fully loading it. Then it times out when I try to proceed with the signin or anything else on the site. Avast has found nothing, BitDefender has found nothing. Spybot has found nothing but the basic tracking cookies. I would run HijackThis but I have no idea what I'd be looking at in my registry and whenever I've posted it on a forum I never get a response.

Try restoring your computer to like a week ago or something.

Look up system restore in help. I assume its Windows XP correct?

Warning: By doing this it will revert back to before anything was installed. You can always cancel it if it doesn't work but if it does then you will lose any recently installed software.

Run a HiJackthis I'll try to translate it.

Also, you could try a free registry cleaner

http://www.utilitygeek.com/Registry_Tools_c5.html

Or do a defrag.....
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:29 pm

Update: Turns out it is my ISP that's the problem. For whatever reason their customers that have their internet and phone service are having issues with a bunch of sites, namely Yahoo.

Well I'm glad I spent all this time on the issue. :-B

So I'm an idiot. This just seems like a really bizarre problem for an ISP to have.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk