Steve Lyons fired by FOX - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steve Lyons fired by FOX

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:20 pm

davidmarver wrote:
wrveres wrote:David, Lou never said anything about losing his wallet. He was making an analogy about a players skillls. I am sure his wallet is just fine.

Again...you don't know the incident. You just proved you don't know the incident. It was Steve Lyons wallet that went missing in the week prior to the game. Guess who found it?
Steve Lyons wrote:The origin and intent of the joke was about my missing wallet, not race. I did not intend to single out any particular race and in fact have many close Hispanic friends and a bi-racial grandson. It never crossed my mind, it is a ridiculous and far reaching conclusion.

Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Piniella's quotes on Steve since the incident per Forbes.com
Lou Piniella wrote:Steve, there isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one. He was kidding with me, nothing more, nothing less. None of it was intended, believe me.

That needed to be posted, it really did. You guys go on as if this is strictly a racial comment, but, in the context of what had happened the past week, it wasn't remotely close to being close to being a racist comment. FOX just wanted a reason to can Lyons and they used the race card, completely out of context, to do so. That's bogus.

Who cares?? Pineilla could cover Lyons' butt with his quotes. Most of the general public knew nothing about the previous wallet incident. If this was said in a meeting, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. He said it on the air in front of millions of people. It also wasn't his first incident. I wouldn't be outraged if they kept him on but I don't blame them 1 bit for firing him. For that, I say:

Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
wrveres wrote:David, Lou never said anything about losing his wallet. He was making an analogy about a players skillls. I am sure his wallet is just fine.

Again...you don't know the incident. You just proved you don't know the incident. It was Steve Lyons wallet that went missing in the week prior to the game. Guess who found it?
Steve Lyons wrote:The origin and intent of the joke was about my missing wallet, not race. I did not intend to single out any particular race and in fact have many close Hispanic friends and a bi-racial grandson. It never crossed my mind, it is a ridiculous and far reaching conclusion.

Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Lou Piniella wrote:Steve, there isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one. He was kidding with me, nothing more, nothing less. None of it was intended, believe me.

That needed to be posted, it really did. You guys go on as if this is strictly a racial comment, but, in the context of what had happened the past week, it wasn't remotely close to being close to being a racist comment. FOX just wanted a reason to can Lyons and they used the race card, completely out of context, to do so. That's bogus.

Who cares?? Pineilla could cover Lyons' butt with his quotes. Most of the general public knew nothing about the previous wallet incident. If this was said in a meeting, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. He said it on the air in front of millions of people. It also wasn't his first incident. I wouldn't be outraged if they kept him on but I don't blame them 1 bit for firing him. For that, I say:

Again this is about fox not losing advertisers. I'm sure the advertisers said something in the past. Corporate America is obsessed with surveys. I'm sure one said.

Check which announcer you most dislike.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Again this is about fox not losing advertisers. I'm sure the advertisers said something in the past. Corporate America is obsessed with surveys. I'm sure one said.

I have heard you mention that numerous times and I really don't care. Lyons said stupid thing after stupid thing after stupid thing and he got fired. The underlying theme doesn't matter to me.

He was a baseball announcer, had 3 strikes, and he's out.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:23 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

I have heard you mention that numerous times and I really don't care. Lyons said stupid thing after stupid thing after stupid thing and he got fired. The underlying theme doesn't matter to me.

He was a baseball announcer, had 3 strikes, and he's out.

Whats your point? I agree....He could say as many dumb things as he wanted though if it wasn't for advertisers.

Fox was protecting its arse...I agree with you I think it was a good call by fox
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers