Steve Lyons fired by FOX - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steve Lyons fired by FOX

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:54 pm

mak1277 wrote:Tough F'ing luck...that's my response to that commentary. You continue to remind me how much I dislike bleeding heart liberal dogma.


Let's see what that response would be if you grew up poor, black and female. Try getting out of your narrow mind every once in a while.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby mak1277 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:38 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Tough F'ing luck...that's my response to that commentary. You continue to remind me how much I dislike bleeding heart liberal dogma.


Let's see what that response would be if you grew up poor, black and female. Try getting out of your narrow mind every once in a while.


Are you poor, black and female? If not, then you have no more room to speak on the subject than I do.

And I'll stick to my narrow mind...I quite like it in here.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4569
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:48 pm

mak1277 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Tough F'ing luck...that's my response to that commentary. You continue to remind me how much I dislike bleeding heart liberal dogma.


Let's see what that response would be if you grew up poor, black and female. Try getting out of your narrow mind every once in a while.


Are you poor, black and female? If not, then you have no more room to speak on the subject than I do.

And I'll stick to my narrow mind...I quite like it in here.


Oh, come off it. You don't have to be dead to object to genocide.

If no one ever opposed an injustice that didn't directly affect them, the world would be a much poorer place. Not that this is necessarily such an injustice. But the general point stands.
Image
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5223
Joined: 5 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby davidmarver » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:16 pm

If Lyons linked francais with missing wallets most of us would still be wondering what the hell he meant, because there is simply no stereotype.

Lyons didn't say what he said because of Piniella's heritage, but because the past Friday he was involved in a missing wallet incident and that's what you're failing to acknowledge. He didn't, out of nowhere, say his wallet is missing because Piniella is hispanic, he said it because less than week prior to that, Piniella was involved in a missing wallet incident. I don't get how that is overlooked by you.

Had Piniella said that a player was chaud -- hot in french -- then Lyons could very well have said "Piniella is parlering le francais...my wallet is still missing" and had it be just as discrimatory as it was with the spanish statement; none.

And to go from a pro womens rights stance to a perverted unisex bathroom supporter in a matter of posts is quite baffling.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:18 pm

davidmarver wrote:
If Lyons linked francais with missing wallets most of us would still be wondering what the hell he meant, because there is simply no stereotype.

Lyons didn't say what he said because of Piniella's heritage, but because the past Friday he was involved in a missing wallet incident and that's what you're failing to acknowledge. He didn't, out of nowhere, say his wallet is missing because Piniella is hispanic, he said it because less than week prior to that, Piniella was involved in a missing wallet incident. I don't get how that is overlooked by you.

Had Piniella said that a player was chaud -- hot in french -- then Lyons could very well have said "Piniella is parlering le francais...my wallet is still missing" and had it be just as discrimatory as it was with the spanish statement; none.

And to go from a pro womens rights stance to a perverted unisex bathroom supporter in a matter of posts is quite baffling.


Maybe because I don't believe that it was common knowledge. If anything, Lyons is an idiot.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:33 am

David, Lou never said anything about losing his wallet. He was making an analogy about a players skillls. I am sure his wallet is just fine.

I don't see how you can still keep argueing this. I just don't
If one of my employees publicaly made insentive comments, three different times, about three different classes of people, over the last year, you can bet I would be letting them go ..

How you can turn that around and say, no, that by letting him go you are infact bieng racist ..

that has to be the biggest leap of faith I have ever seen. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:12 am

davidmarver wrote:Get real. The race and gender cards are over-played so much it's nauseating. :-°
I'm curious to why you say this (I'm assuming you live in the US too)? I think the removal was simply justified. As an employer you do have the right to terminate employees on such grounds. Just recently Lamar Thomas got fired for comments he made during Maimi Hurricanes and Florida International game. And I was thinking back to how Lyons got fired and I was thinking these networks will drop you before the heat comes because it's just easier that way.
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby davidmarver » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:33 pm

wrveres wrote:David, Lou never said anything about losing his wallet. He was making an analogy about a players skillls. I am sure his wallet is just fine.

Again...you don't know the incident. You just proved you don't know the incident. It was Steve Lyons wallet that went missing in the week prior to the game. Guess who found it?
Steve Lyons wrote:The origin and intent of the joke was about my missing wallet, not race. I did not intend to single out any particular race and in fact have many close Hispanic friends and a bi-racial grandson. It never crossed my mind, it is a ridiculous and far reaching conclusion.

Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.


Piniella's quotes on Steve since the incident per Forbes.com
Lou Piniella wrote:Steve, there isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one. He was kidding with me, nothing more, nothing less. None of it was intended, believe me.


That needed to be posted, it really did. You guys go on as if this is strictly a racial comment, but, in the context of what had happened the past week, it wasn't remotely close to being close to being a racist comment. FOX just wanted a reason to can Lyons and they used the race card, completely out of context, to do so. That's bogus.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:51 pm

I don't think Lyons meant anything racist by the statement.

However, appearance is everything. It appeared he was being racist which would be enough to scare away advertisers. That's why he was let go - he did this 3 times in a year. That's enough. It was a business decision.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:53 pm

davidmarver wrote:
wrveres wrote:David, Lou never said anything about losing his wallet. He was making an analogy about a players skillls. I am sure his wallet is just fine.

Again...you don't know the incident. You just proved you don't know the incident. It was Steve Lyons wallet that went missing in the week prior to the game. Guess who found it?
Steve Lyons wrote:The origin and intent of the joke was about my missing wallet, not race. I did not intend to single out any particular race and in fact have many close Hispanic friends and a bi-racial grandson. It never crossed my mind, it is a ridiculous and far reaching conclusion.

Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.


Piniella's quotes on Steve since the incident per Forbes.com
Lou Piniella wrote:Steve, there isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one. He was kidding with me, nothing more, nothing less. None of it was intended, believe me.


That needed to be posted, it really did. You guys go on as if this is strictly a racial comment, but, in the context of what had happened the past week, it wasn't remotely close to being close to being a racist comment. FOX just wanted a reason to can Lyons and they used the race card, completely out of context, to do so. That's bogus.


those weren't the comments made ..
I'll go find them later on, but that was not the comments made on TV.

they were about a player, playing like he had found a wallet ..

i'll go find the actual quotes later.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Faftorietetle and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Sep. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact