Man, I love these Sox!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Man, I love these Sox!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Man, I love these Sox!!

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:20 pm

I hate to sound like Super GM here and all, but this Red Sox team is special.

Every night someone steps up. With Manny taken out for a pinch runner, Todd Walker hits a three-run ninth inning, game tying bomb.

Then Ortiz hits a shot over the Green Monster in the tenth.

Watch out Oakland!!
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:26 pm

Nice to see the Sox are still in it for a change. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:19 am

I think Ortiz may be making a case for MVP.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:48 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I think Ortiz may be making a case for MVP.

8-o Um.....sorry.......not a chance.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:22 am

Madison wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:I think Ortiz may be making a case for MVP.

8-o Um.....sorry.......not a chance.

If Jason Stark thinks Chavez, Tejada and Shannon Stewart have a chance, then Ortiz certainly does. I doubt he'll win it, but he deserves it more than the aforementioned (but not, in my opinion, more than Arod).
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PresHabib » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:24 am

Man, that game was INCREDIBLE. I was sittin watching it in the living room with my roomates and we were FURIOUS as to how Grady Little keeps putting Todd Walker in the 3-spot...we love nomar in the 2 spot, but WALKER 3? puh-lease. And then, we were even more furious when we realized Adrian Brown was coming up after Walker. Anyway, my roomate says "Man, Adrian Brown up next? The only way we do this is if Walker goes yard"...next pitch, i kid you not, GOODBYE! YEAHHHH!! ;-D I jumped so high and pumped my fist in the air so hard I actually cut up my hand pretty bad on the ceiling, lol. I kid you not, that was the sweetest pain I've ever felt. It was a shame though that Walker's shot was only #3 on Sportscenter top 10, behind Conine's game tying seventh inning shot in Florida, what a rip off. Ortiz was worthy of the spot though, and by that I mean his quote after the game, "I knew i hit it, and i look over to see my people and they saying RUN RUN RUN and i just laugh and say PSHT, I crush dat ball". HILARIOUS!

Anyway, thats my joyous rant on the subject. I wanted to bring up a point on Ortiz for MVP as was already mentioned. First of all, let's not kid ourselves, Ortiz won't win it. However, that doesn't necessarily mean hes not more valuable than anybody else in the league. He's certainly been the most valuable Red Sox this season, ESPECIALLY with all of these great numbers coming up in the second half of the season. Ichiro in my mind WAS the MVP, but he slumped miserably and it has (seemingly) taken the Mariners straight to the golf course. Then, looking at just the playoff teams (which i guess you cant do but ill do it anyway) theres no real clear cut choice. Minnesota? Ummm...well it aint Torii Hunter THIS time, it seems to me the best addition to that team was Shannon Stewart, who won't win the award for some of the same reasons Ortiz won't. Oakland? Well their MVP(s) is(are) a pitcher(s) and we all know how much we hate pitchers getting MVP talk, deserve it or not. In NY?...well i guess Giambi has a shot, or Jeter (near batting title, pretty solid). Other than that, who else can you pick? Again, I don't expect Ortiz to get many (or any) votes, but if I was a writer, I wouldn't know what to do cuz I really don't see that many great options elsewhere. So I would then like to pose the question, regardless of whether or not Ortiz will actually win the award, is he the most valuable player in the American League?? I of course want to say yes, but I know I'm a ridiculous homer so I won't cast a vote..though I think my speech gives a pretty good indication as to what I'm thinking! ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:24 pm

Both Tran and Pres make some good points ;-D , but I'm even happier that you both realize that Ortiz won't end up getting it. ;-D

I do agree that Ortiz's second half is a big reason why the Sox should end up in the playoffs. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Baseball Leftovers