Soriano turns down deal, Not so says the Nats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano turns down deal, Not so says the Nats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:34 am

acsguitar wrote:Soriano is incredible. The Nats need a star to bring in fans. They better keep him no matter what.
Winning brings in the fans not stars.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:45 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Soriano is incredible. The Nats need a star to bring in fans. They better keep him no matter what.

I guess they figure they should at least have one of the two in order to sell a couple of tickets. ;-7
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby The Jury » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:They screwed him so badly so why would he sign there? I know I wouldn't.

How did they screw him? By moving his atrocious 2B glove to the OF? :-?

Really.

Soriano is about the money. Make know mistake about it. He will go to whoever he gets the best deal from. His concern about 2b was because that is where he figured he could achieve the biggest pay day. If he gets the cash to play the OF, he will not care. Nor is he likely to care about playng for a contender. He just want the money.

Just like Piazza didn't want to move from cathing so that he can be the all time HR leader?

And I guess you wouldn't try to capitalize on your talents if you had any? You'd play for league minimum because you are such a nice guy?

Hey Yoda,

I would play for the league minimum! Can I sign my contract now? ;-)
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby roninmedia » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:00 pm

The Jury wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:They screwed him so badly so why would he sign there? I know I wouldn't.

How did they screw him? By moving his atrocious 2B glove to the OF? :-?

Really.

Soriano is about the money. Make know mistake about it. He will go to whoever he gets the best deal from. His concern about 2b was because that is where he figured he could achieve the biggest pay day. If he gets the cash to play the OF, he will not care. Nor is he likely to care about playng for a contender. He just want the money.

Just like Piazza didn't want to move from cathing so that he can be the all time HR leader?

And I guess you wouldn't try to capitalize on your talents if you had any? You'd play for league minimum because you are such a nice guy?

Hey Yoda,

I would play for the league minimum! Can I sign my contract now? ;-)

He means a nice guy with major league talent. :-b
Any fan would play for league minimum.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

I agree that winning brings in more fans but stars bring them in as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mikhayl » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Stars put butts in seats. Winning keeps them there.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:31 pm

mikhayl wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

I'd disagree with that. Take the M's for example. They drew a lot more fans when they won 116 games with no "superstars" (save Ichiro, but he was a rookie) than they did when they were good, but not great, and had RJ, Junior, and AFraud.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mikhayl » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mikhayl wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

I'd disagree with that. Take the M's for example. They drew a lot more fans when they won 116 games with no "superstars" (save Ichiro, but he was a rookie) than they did when they were good, but not great, and had RJ, Junior, and AFraud.

Let me clarify what I meant. Stars will pique the casual-fan's curiosity and may get them to come out to a few games each year, but that's a novelty that can wear off.

A winning team will be able to maintain strong attendance for the long haul...Except the Athletics I guess.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:20 pm

I think Jim Bowden just lost his job (kinda funny how stupid he was)...

According to Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News, draft-pick compensation for departing free agents has been eliminated as part of the new CBA set to be announced within the next couple of weeks.

It's something the two sides have talked about for years and that it's happening now won't come as a surprise to any teams. Still, it's going to hurt that Alfonso Soriano, Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt will all find new teams without their former clubs receiving anything at all in return. Unfortunately, it was the rich teams, especially Boston of late, that took the greatest advantage of the system. Instead of ditching it altogether, MLB could have tried coming up with a better system, one that actually rewarded the poor teams. Too bad expending effort on something that doesn't involve steroids or an immediate finanical gain is simply beyond the commissioner's office these days.
Source: Rocky Mountain News
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:23 am

Havok1517 wrote:I think Jim Bowden just lost his job (kinda funny how stupid he was)...

According to Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News, draft-pick compensation for departing free agents has been eliminated as part of the new CBA set to be announced within the next couple of weeks.

It's something the two sides have talked about for years and that it's happening now won't come as a surprise to any teams. Still, it's going to hurt that Alfonso Soriano, Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt will all find new teams without their former clubs receiving anything at all in return. Unfortunately, it was the rich teams, especially Boston of late, that took the greatest advantage of the system. Instead of ditching it altogether, MLB could have tried coming up with a better system, one that actually rewarded the poor teams. Too bad expending effort on something that doesn't involve steroids or an immediate finanical gain is simply beyond the commissioner's office these days.
Source: Rocky Mountain News

wow ...
I had heard for months they were trying to get this in the new CBA, but I thought for sure they would grandfather it for this year.

anybody know when the current CBA expires?
I bet there is a loophole in there somewhere

and yes, Jim Bowden is about the dumbest GM ever.
Why anybody signs a paycheck for that guy is beyond me.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers