Soriano turns down deal, Not so says the Nats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano turns down deal, Not so says the Nats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:54 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:They screwed him so badly so why would he sign there? I know I wouldn't.

How did they screw him? By moving his atrocious 2B glove to the OF? :-?

Really.

Soriano is about the money. Make know mistake about it. He will go to whoever he gets the best deal from. His concern about 2b was because that is where he figured he could achieve the biggest pay day. If he gets the cash to play the OF, he will not care. Nor is he likely to care about playng for a contender. He just want the money.

Just like Piazza didn't want to move from cathing so that he can be the all time HR leader?

And I guess you wouldn't try to capitalize on your talents if you had any? You'd play for league minimum because you are such a nice guy?

What has one got to do with the other? PIazza was a veteran catcher who earned his stripes with many years of quality, loyal service. I can't believe I am defending the guy, but if you want to call him selfish for wanting to achieve a career goal at the last part of his career so be it.

Soriano has not even been in the league lpng enough to become a free agent. He has not even played on the same team for more than a few years. He has not earned any right to dictate desires to his team's management.

So we can overlook a veteran just because he earned his stripes despite being one of the worst defensive catchers in history but not Soriano? When Piazza's position is far and above more important defensively than second base?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:05 am

Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:They screwed him so badly so why would he sign there? I know I wouldn't.

Really.

Soriano is about the money. Make know mistake about it. He will go to whoever he gets the best deal from. His concern about 2b was because that is where he figured he could achieve the biggest pay day. If he gets the cash to play the OF, he will not care. Nor is he likely to care about playng for a contender. He just want the money.

Just like Piazza didn't want to move from cathing so that he can be the all time HR leader?

And I guess you wouldn't try to capitalize on your talents if you had any? You'd play for league minimum because you are such a nice guy?

What has one got to do with the other? PIazza was a veteran catcher who earned his stripes with many years of quality, loyal service. I can't believe I am defending the guy, but if you want to call him selfish for wanting to achieve a career goal at the last part of his career so be it.

Soriano has not even been in the league lpng enough to become a free agent. He has not even played on the same team for more than a few years. He has not earned any right to dictate desires to his team's management.

So we can overlook a veteran just because he earned his stripes despite being one of the worst defensive catchers in history but not Soriano? When Piazza's position is far and above more important defensively than second base?

Piazza's skill level at C was good enough for years for the Dodgers and the Mets. Complaining aout it when he is almost done with his career is just deciding to pick on a guy when he is now of limited value to you. He should never have been allowed to be a C for that long in the first place but everyone was willing to overlook his arm while he was belting 40+ Hrs a year. Loyalty has its place and while it would have been ideal if he was open to a position change for his and his teams' benefit, I am not going to crucify the guy for not wanting to do it. If I was in his position I would not be liking the idea too much either.

And again, even if you want to call Piazza selfish, fine. Do it. Just becuase one guy robs a bank and gets away with it does not mean someone else who tries to and gets caught should be allowed to walk away free. Soriano is selfish. Not only for not wanting to move positions but in everything. This is the guy that will not adjust his swing to the situation, wil not change his appraoch to help his team. Will continue to flail at everything trying to hit HRs even in a WS where he is Striking out on EVERYTHING. He was called into Torre's office in the 2003 WS for it and balked at be moving from the leadoff slot and never changed a thing. Selfish and stupid at the same time. A deadly combination. All reports on him in this regard are bad. Read some of his comments too. Man is a jerk and he is tolerated becuase he is belting HRs. That is fine. That is the way it is and any team signing him is getting him with that in mind. Expecting Soraino to become Derek Jeter is not realistic. Neither is expecting him to not go fo rthe bucks. It is who he is.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:07 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Really.

Piazza's skill level at C was good enough for years for the Dodgers and the Mets. Complaining aout it when he is almost done with his career is just deciding to pick on a guy when he is now of limited value to you. He should never have been allowed to be a C for that long in the first place but everyone was willing to overlook his arm while he was belting 40+ Hrs a year. Loyalty has its place and while it would have been ideal if he was open to a position change for his and his teams' benefit, I am not going to crucify the guy for not wanting to do it. If I was in his position I would not be liking the idea too much either.

And again, even if you want to call Piazza selfish, fine. Do it. Just becuase one guy robs a bank and gets away with it does not mean someone else who tries to and gets caught should be allowed to walk away free. Soriano is selfish. Not only for not wanting to move positions but in everything. This is the guy that will not adjust his swing to the situation, wil not change his appraoch to help his team. Will continue to flail at everything trying to hit HRs even in a WS where he is Striking out on EVERYTHING. He was called into Torre's office in the 2003 WS for it and balked at be moving from the leadoff slot and never changed a thing. Selfish and stupid at the same time. A deadly combination. All reports on him in this regard are bad. Read some of his comments too. Man is a jerk and he is tolerated becuase he is belting HRs. That is fine. That is the way it is and any team signing him is getting him with that in mind. Expecting Soraino to become Derek Jeter is not realistic. Neither is expecting him to not go fo rthe bucks. It is who he is.

Man you have some hate issues. Do you know Soriano personally?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:14 am

Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Really.

I can watch a ball game and see when someone is trying to help his team and when someone is not.

You do not need to be a baseball genius to see that a guy who just aimlessly tries to swing as hard as he can at anything trying to hit a HR despite the game situation is either a moron or a selfish jerk (or both). You do not need to be a genius to see that Soriano is out for himself on the baseball field. Just watch the games.

He admires his HRs and on more than one occassion has admired balls he thought were out that ended up not going out. He was scolded for it and still does it. Why? Because he likes to. That or he is just so stupid. Take your pick.

Read some of the comments coming from him when asked about the position change. Did they sound like a guy with his team's interest's at heart? Hardly. Hate has nothing to do with it. He is simply what he is. One of many selfish ball players in the league. One of the more annoying ones in that regard and one of the more talented too.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Soriano turns down deal, Not so says the Nats

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:47 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:It was reported that Soriano turned down a 5 year, $70 million deal from the Nats, Washington is saying this isn't true.
link
Either way I can think of a lot better ways for a ballclub to spend $14 million a year.

If I recall correctly, Nats do get compensatory picks if Soriano signs with someone else.

But yeah, 14M/yr is ridiculous IMO.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:00 pm

This is a little OT but I have read that there is a good chance that there will be no more compensatory draft picks. This is one of the main things the Players' Union wants this off-season and it apparently the MLB is willing to give it to them.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:This is a little OT but I have read that there is a good chance that there will be no more compensatory draft picks. This is one of the main things the Players' Union wants this off-season and it apparently the MLB is willing to give it to them.

Hmmm I haven't heard that... I hate MLBPA...
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CadensDad » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:24 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Really.

I can watch a ball game and see when someone is trying to help his team and when someone is not.

You do not need to be a baseball genius to see that a guy who just aimlessly tries to swing as hard as he can at anything trying to hit a HR despite the game situation is either a moron or a selfish jerk (or both). You do not need to be a genius to see that Soriano is out for himself on the baseball field. Just watch the games.

He admires his HRs and on more than one occassion has admired balls he thought were out that ended up not going out. He was scolded for it and still does it. Why? Because he likes to. That or he is just so stupid. Take your pick.

Read some of the comments coming from him when asked about the position change. Did they sound like a guy with his team's interest's at heart? Hardly. Hate has nothing to do with it. He is simply what he is. One of many selfish ball players in the league. One of the more annoying ones in that regard and one of the more talented too.

What about Ryan Howard when he stands at the plate after hitting a homerun? Is he selfish? Or when Andruw Jones doesn't run full force after a flyball in the outfeild? Or when A-Rod botches a ground ball at 3RD? Are they all selfish? I think Soriano is looking out for himself 1st like everyone else does. Roger Clemens could ahve come back and palyed for 1Mil for those 4 months of the season. Soriano doesn't care about the "team" because apparently the team hasn't cared about him. He's been passed around from NYY to Tex for A-Rod and then from Tex to Was for hardly anyone.

Then to make it worse WAS didn't even want him for the postion he played. They wanted him to do something diffrent. mI wouldn't be all about the "team" either if my team traded me and asked me to play a diffrent postion.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:This is a little OT but I have read that there is a good chance that there will be no more compensatory draft picks. This is one of the main things the Players' Union wants this off-season and it apparently the MLB is willing to give it to them.

I've heard the same thing about getting rid of the draft picks. But I've heard both sides want to do away with it. The MLBPA thinks the draft picks discourage some FA from getting signed or at the very least gets them a lesser deal. MLB wants the draft picks removed because once they are the draft will have no ties to MLBPA and MLB can make any changes they want without getting the union's approval.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

I've heard the same thing about getting rid of the draft picks. But I've heard both sides want to do away with it. The MLBPA thinks the draft picks discourage some FA from getting signed or at the very least gets them a lesser deal. MLB wants the draft picks removed because once they are the draft will have no ties to MLBPA and MLB can make any changes they want without getting the union's approval.[/quote]

If that goes through, we could very well have our first televised amateur draft in a year or 2.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers