Dynasty/Keeper League "Reset" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dynasty/Keeper League "Reset"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty/Keeper League "Reset"

Postby roninmedia » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:37 pm

We all know these long term leagues vary in their rules, whether through the format, scoring within the respective format, number of keepers.

In the fantasy football leagues I played, the keepers were usually 3 years in duration, while dynasty leagues were typically 5-7 years or sometimes longer. At the end of this time period, you couldn't keep a player for the entire time period or we had a full reset where we redrafted everyone.

I know baseball is more of a long term culture, I mean with the minor leagues and prospects and waiting for them to develop. In football, players make it or break within the first few seasons.

How do you feel about a full "reset" where everyone goes back into the pool and it acts as a redraft league for that season? Or do you like when the league is continous with no resets?
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:47 pm

By definition, if you do not keep some players and redraft everyone, it is no longer a keeper league. So if you do that, you are basically dissolving the keeper league and reforming a new one.

Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want to do. But the very essense of sending everyone back to the free agent pool for a redraft basically terminates the keeper league. Typically I like to at least retain some players year to year. You usually have to adjust the keeper count down to try to rebalance the league at some point. I prefer going that route.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Dynasty/Keeper League "Reset"

Postby mak1277 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:52 am

roninmedia wrote:How do you feel about a full "reset" where everyone goes back into the pool and it acts as a redraft league for that season? Or do you like when the league is continous with no resets?

Personally, my preference would never be to do a reset. It's going to be necessary at some point though, if the league gets to be non-competetive. In order to keep owners, it's a very real possibility that a reset might be required.

This really just goes to the point of getting a really good ownership group though, and less to the "rules" of a keeper league.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:39 am

If you're gonna do that, just drop 1 round per year off of when you originally drafted the player until it drops to 0. Then, you can't keep that player. No reason to reset a keeper league to me.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BritSox » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:21 am

Lofunzo wrote:If you're gonna do that, just drop 1 round per year off of when you originally drafted the player until it drops to 0. Then, you can't keep that player. No reason to reset a keeper league to me.

That's my favourite way of running a keeper league. Though i prefer it when you count down to one, and can only keep one guy at first round value. That way would seem to indicate you could never keep a first round pick.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Return to Baseball Leftovers