What it takes to win a league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What it takes to win a league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Ah, my bad Pokey. Sorry dude. :-/

I knew it was 'Research' study too. :-[

Thanks for pickin me up DM. ;-D
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:42 pm

RynMan wrote:Ah, my bad Pokey. Sorry dude. :-/

I knew it was 'Research' study too. :-[

Thanks for pickin me up DM. ;-D


Yeah Ryn, that's weak. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:10 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
RynMan wrote:Ah, my bad Pokey. Sorry dude. :-/

I knew it was 'Research' study too. :-[

Thanks for pickin me up DM. ;-D


Yeah Ryn, that's weak. ;-)


Ah shuttup Paint boy.

:-D
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby RyanK » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:41 am

RynMan wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
RynMan wrote:Ah, my bad Pokey. Sorry dude. :-/

I knew it was 'Research' study too. :-[

Thanks for pickin me up DM. ;-D


Yeah Ryn, that's weak. ;-)


Ah shuttup Paint boy.

:-D


I think its brush...
Image
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby themanuwm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:27 am

damnit i thought i was brillant of thinking this strategy, as always im never the first..ha, in my league i finished 6th. and am now studying how i can do better next year. i was seeing what each category winner had, and was trying to draft that amount based on projections for next year. not that anyone cares but we had a 6x5 league with (ops)

runs-1003
hr-295
rbis-940
sb-197
avg-.299
ops-.868

w-120
sv-107
k-1344
era-3.75
whip-1.22
themanuwm
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cryptic » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:22 am

actually you don't need to draft what each category winner had for a total, just one more than the second place team had. also, you don't need the highest possible points for each category. in a standard 10 team league for instance, the winner could average 80 points for the season. therefore, in 5x5 you'd only need to average an 3rd place spot in each category to give you the 80 points. give or take of course.
Cryptic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 43
Joined: 8 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Cryptic wrote:actually you don't need to draft what each category winner had for a total, just one more than the second place team had. also, you don't need the highest possible points for each category. in a standard 10 team league for instance, the winner could average 80 points for the season. therefore, in 5x5 you'd only need to average an 3rd place spot in each category to give you the 80 points. give or take of course.



Actually, it ihas been my experience that you need to garnish about 75% of the points available to have a very good chance at winning a league. Sometimes less, sometimes more obviously to actually win, but 75% of the total points available is usually good enough to win or to be very close to winning. Which means coming in second or third in every category on avg.

What the leader in each category in a given league posts is misleading in the first place. A team built with speed and little power could be mediocre offensively and post 210 SBs in a 13/9 league with the right combo of players for instance.

Also, numbers vary year to year. I compared my main money leagues this year with last for instance. ERA is way up overall (pitching was not as good this year). In one league, the leader posted a 3.80 ERA. The prior it was 3.4. Pitching seems to have broadened at the mid fantasy levels and shallowed at the top of the market. HRs seemed to be up this year among players that were fantasy worthy too in my leagues.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact