Return to General Talk

Stop Yelling At Me...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stop Yelling At Me...

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:47 am

Drill Sergeants: No More Mr. Mean Guy
Army Goes to Kindler, Gentler Approach to Training

By DEAN REYNOLDS

Oct. 11, 2006 — The Pentagon recently announced that all active duty services had met their recruiting goals for the budget year that ended Sept. 30. And now we have a possible reason why.

Drill sergeants have been told to cool it. All the cussing, swearing, in-your-face intimidation by a vein-popping, bull-necked brute is now passé.

What?

You read it right. Drill sergeants — the toughest, meanest people in the military — have been ordered to try a more sensitive approach to the young male and female recruits who once answered to the name "maggot" — or worse.

David S. Chu, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, told The Associated Press, "However much it may be satisfying from the shouter's perspective, it really isn't the best way to shape young people for the future."

And it took the Army, oh, about two centuries to figure this out?

Chu said the Army must change the nature of how it treats the very people it wants to retain. And at a time of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, it is no small point. The military needs good men and women. Period.

So "less shouting at everyone," said Chu.

Veterans would probably chuckle, but according to Army Times, today's recruits can do their push-ups from their knees if they get too tired. Sit-ups can be accomplished with the help of a sleeping mat. Today's Army doesn't want recruits with bruised, er, tail bones.

The "kinder gentler" thing — adopted more than a year ago — may be working. The Army says it has reduced by nearly 7 percent the number of washouts in the first six to 12 months of a recruit's life. In place of the "shock treatment," the Army now urges its drill sergeants to adopt more the role of a counselor than an antagonist.

"We said, 'Drill sergeants, your job is to mentor, teach and coach these kids and help them be more," said Gen. Peter Schoomaker, Army chief of staff.

That has made a difference, according at least one commander.

"The soldiers shoot better, are in better physical condition, and their hearts and heads are in the zone, said Col. Jay Chambers, commander of 1st Combat Training Brigade, 13th Infantry Regiment.

There's more, and it says a lot about how stretched the military has become in recent years. We know that the age-of-service ceiling has been raised and some standards relaxed to absorb new soldiers, sailors and airmen.

But now, injured recruits who might have been discharged are given more time to recuperate so they can resume their basic training rather than leave the service entirely.

Chu told the AP that two-thirds of all recruits finish their enlistments, ranging from three to four years. The other third is made up of many who drop out in the first six to 12 months. Many who didn't make it often cited humiliating treatment as one reason.

Attrition, of course, is factored into the numerical goals the services put in place every year. Retaining too many recruits is unwise. Discouraging too many is worse.

So the drill sergeants must adjust. "Excuse me" will take the place of "I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

Because from now on it's No More Mr. Mean Guy.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:56 am

we've officially lost war.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:00 pm

I thought the whole point of Boot Camp was to break recruits down so they could then build them up as soldiers. :-?
How are they going to accomplish that now?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:15 pm

My (female) cousin recently came back from a fort in Missouri after a few months of training. She said people would purposely get kicked out because they couldn't take all the yelling and stuff. One guy pointed his gun at a drill seargent and another guy sat in his own waste for 3 days without talking. Obviously these people aren't fit for the army anyways, but I think this change might not be that bad.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:28 pm

OMG! 8-o Now that is just plain stupid! 8-o

"What's wrong Johnny? Too tired to climb the rope? Don't worry about it, that's ok. I'm sure the Taliban would understand and just let you come home because you're too tired and worn out to fight anymore. Did you happen to kill any of the enemy before getting too tired to fight anymore?" ;-7

"CLIMB THE ROPE YOU MAGGOT! DO YOU THINK THE ENEMY CARES THAT YOU'RE TIRED? DO YOU THINK THEY CARE YOU WANT TO RUN HOME TO MAMMA LIKE A SISSY BOY? THEY DON'T! THEY WILL KILL YOU EITHER WAY! CLIMB THE ROPE OR DIE LIKE THE PANSY YOU ARE! HERE, I'LL EVEN GET YOU A SKIRT TO WEAR MAMMA'S BOY, NOW GET UP THAT ROPE, OR DIE!"
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Oh great, you know our country is politically correct to the living end, when the military becomes as such.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby thedude » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:37 pm

:-t Patton, McArthur, Grant, Washington, and Jackson are all rolling over in their respective graves.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Melo255 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:42 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I thought the whole point of Boot Camp was to break recruits down so they could then build them up as soldiers. :-?

Exactly. Personally I still think they should be allowed to use any language they want and even small physical abuse like pushing and pulling a recruit to get a point across. Now you absolutely cannot lay a hand on a recruit or swear at all.

I understand the desire of the army to get more people into active ranks but I'd prefer less soldiers of a higher quality than more soldiers of a lower quality. They need to be ready for real life war time situations that for normal people are mentally crippling. The place where they begin to develop that mental toughness to persevere through absurdly difficult situations is in brutal boot camp situations not at tea time.

Edit: One of the most important points any recruit needs to understand as they enter boot camp is that all the yelling and insults ARE NOT PERSONAL! They are trying to make you a better tougher man not hurt you.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:46 pm

Melo255 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I thought the whole point of Boot Camp was to break recruits down so they could then build them up as soldiers. :-?

Exactly. Personally I still think they should be allowed to use any language they want and even small physical abuse like pushing and pulling a recruit to get a point across. Now you absolutely cannot lay a hand on a recruit or swear at all.

I understand the desire of the army to get more people into active ranks but I'd prefer less soldiers of a higher quality than more soldiers of a lower quality. They need to be ready for real life war time situations that for normal people are mentally crippling. The place where they begin to develop that mental toughness to persevere through absurdly difficult situations is in brutal boot camp situations not at tea time.

Edit: One of the most important points any recruit needs to understand as they enter boot camp is that all the yelling and insults ARE NOT PERSONAL! They are trying to make you a better tougher man not hurt you.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

This is very disturbing news. :-[
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Mugrila » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:39 pm

Once again...packing my bags for Australia, I'm getting far away from here. :-°
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to General Talk