What do you do? Driving question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What do you do? Driving question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:29 pm

RugbyD wrote: if some guy is speeding past a bunch of people as the merging lane disappears, he can suck it.

My exact feelings. Why do these people think they are so important?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:48 pm

ensanimal wrote:
RugbyD wrote: if some guy is speeding past a bunch of people as the merging lane disappears, he can suck it.

It's the basic me me me mentality of today. :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:35 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ensanimal wrote:

I wouldn't attribute it to that necessarily. Some folks, if not all, who drive aggressively on the road are just impatient and/or highly stressed out (burned out even).

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:39 pm

Kick his ass, sea bass!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:55 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ensanimal wrote:

I wouldn't attribute it to that necessarily. Some folks, if not all, who drive aggressively on the road are just impatient and/or highly stressed out (burned out even).

Yeah, but doesn't that equate to selfishness? Impatience can be interpretted as being selfish, as can being stressed out, because you've loaded your plate too high thinking you have to take over the world. All in all, it's thinking you're so much more important than everybody else. Boooo.... :-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:09 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ensanimal wrote:

Yeah, but doesn't that equate to selfishness? Impatience can be interpretted as being selfish, as can being stressed out, because you've loaded your plate too high thinking you have to take over the world. All in all, it's thinking you're so much more important than everybody else. Boooo.... :-t

Not always the case. Personally, I'm an impatient driver, impatient in the sense that I wish I drove a hovercar and give the one finger salute to everyone else while flying over their heads. However, the reality is there's going to be bloody awful traffic and equally bloody awful drivers on the road. I can't change that and so, I leave home a half-hour, an hour earlier. Not everyone prepares for awful traffic, even in a bustling area like LA, where there's urban sprawl abound, and they pay the price for their lack of timing/preparation or what have you, that some would do anything at will to "fight" traffic.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:33 pm

I'm happy to merge onto the highway at a reasonable and safe speed; but all too often, I get behind some scared clown driving 35 MPH on the on-ramp. You have to find a break and traffic and then adjust your speed accordingly. If the guy (or lady) in front of me wants to mosey his way in and hope that someone traveling 80 MPH on the highway is going to "let him in" then that's just dangerous.

I'm not an aggressive driver; but I do think that timid drivers are far more dangerous at times than aggressive ones. Yeah, it pisses me off too when some jerk weaves in and out of heavy traffic; there is perhaps nothing more dangerous than that. I also think it's dangerous to drive slow in the left lane when no one is in the right. It annoys me when I'm in a line of cars at a light that is green for a short time and everyone accelerates as if they're in a homecoming parade. Maybe if more people had a manual transmission, they're realize how much of a pain it is.

Speaking of, what ever happened to manual transmission? It's a shame that everyone in their V8 Ford F-150's feel like they own the road by driving as slowly as possible. Is driving stick a "lost art?" I'll never get an automatic, NEVER! I'm a purist, I actually enjoy driving. But maybe I won't have a choice; in 10 years, they won't even make them anymore.

It's too bad.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:Speaking of, what ever happened to manual transmission? It's a shame that everyone in their V8 Ford F-150's feel like they own the road by driving as slowly as possible. Is driving stick a "lost art?" I'll never get an automatic, NEVER! I'm a purist, I actually enjoy driving. But maybe I won't have a choice; in 10 years, they won't even make them anymore.

It's too bad.

Right you are Copper. ;-D My company car's automatic and my wife's is auto (she doesn't know how to drive manual), but the truck and Charger are sticks. My dad made me learn to drive stick on a '67 Chevy pickup, pretty much rusted through everywhere and no power-steering or brakes. I hated it at the time, but I sure appreciate it now.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Speaking of, what ever happened to manual transmission? It's a shame that everyone in their V8 Ford F-150's feel like they own the road by driving as slowly as possible. Is driving stick a "lost art?" I'll never get an automatic, NEVER! I'm a purist, I actually enjoy driving. But maybe I won't have a choice; in 10 years, they won't even make them anymore.

It's too bad.

My dad made me learn to drive stick on a '67 Chevy pickup, pretty much rusted through everywhere and no power-steering or brakes. I hated it at the time, but I sure appreciate it now.

That's the best way ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk